1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

3 things you tried that made you WORSE!

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by snowathlete, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Fifi

Fifi

GET
    Amitryptiline
    Stress in life!
  2. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    1. Overexertion, whether it was years of overdoing it in a general way because everyone was encouraging me to do more (I spent eight years trying to do my undergrad), or my occasional attempts at a graded exercise regime where I always get over-enthusiastic and exercise myself into a relapse.

2. Hormonal contraception. The first time was Depo Provera, which I was told was my only reliable option to prevent pregnancy and would have no effects on the ME. I got most of the symptoms of the menopause at the age of 22 and a hellish ME deterioration. Years later, I was put on Cerazette as a supposed treatment for PMDD by a gynae who was ignoring all the evidence that progestogens make PMDD worse, not to mention my dire record on progestogen. Naturally, it made both the PMDD and the ME worse, at which point the gynae decided that I didn't have PMDD because I hadn't got on with her pet drug. (She had never actually bothered to do a proper diagnosis involving a symptom diary.)

3. Some of the widely-recommended methods for dealing with circadian rhythm disorders, such as staying up all night or going to bed three hours later every day. Messed up my sleep even further and had a pretty dire knock-on effect on the ME. I did eventually find treatments for the circadian rhythm problems, which I've described in the "3 things that worked" thread.

I do badly on a lot of medication, but I'm not really counting temporary side effects here (e.g. feeling emotionally disconnected on Prozac, getting stomach pain from NSAIDs), just things that triggered an actual relapse.
  3. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Things that made me a LOT worse:

1 - glutathione and precursors including NAC
    2 - folinic acid
    3 - Folic acid
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    antidepressants (each an every one)
    ldn
    provigil or any stimulant
  5. redrachel76

redrachel76 Senior Member

Israel
    Exercise and ignoring the illness of course

EPD injections- never recovered from this
    Over severe elimination diets - never recovered from this
    conventional allergy shots - recovered quickly
    Voltaren
    Valtrex

Funnily LDN that everyone here says made them worse made no difference in me.
    I could not stop at just 3 that made me worse.

See more popular forum discussions.