May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

28-day Guanidinoacetic Acid Supplementation Improves Clinical Outcomes In Patients With CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/F...Basic_Science_World_Congress_Poster__.16.aspx

Valentijn and alex3619 like this.
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    And of course, the bodybuilding community is already on it...

This article mentions that you have to take it with betaine since it will deplete methyl groups in the liver and cause homocysteine levels to rise over time.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glycocyamine.htm

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The Wikipedia article for guanidinoacetic acid is here.

According to this clinical trial of guanidinoacetic acid, this compound is a biochemical precursor of creatine.

It does not look like it is available as a supplement as yet (this Google query searches for its various synonyms).

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Hip likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  6. SOC

SOC

I question whether these are really well-defined CFS patients. It seems more likely that they have found something that might help with generalized fatigue. This is no surprise since body-builders are already onto this supplement.

I would like to think that this might help with our energy production problems, but I have no confidence at this point that they have demonstrated that it is effective, or even safe, for ME patients with PEM. I hope further research will use a better patient cohort and use a better measure of ME/CFS energy production problems than the MFI-20. A 2-day, even a 1-day, CPET would be good.

Woolie and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.