• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

25 Oct E Crawley speaking at Better Science Better Data event......

"
14.30 – Keynote #3: How open should open data be?

Esther Crawley, University of Bristol"

"Esther also leads a research team which investigates the epidemiology and treatment of CFS/ME in children and adults. The epidemiological work uses the Avon and Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC) and a large cohort of patients to study the causes and different types of CFS/ME. Her team have developed expertise in delivering complex hard-to-do trials. "

hard-to-do? Probably got this from asking the kids.

Large Donner

Her team have developed expertise in delivering complex hard-to-do trials.

There may be some warped truth in this. Who else could get grants to run SMILE etc. I think it fair to say if most of these trials were proposed to anyone with any sense it would be hard to do them because no one would back them.

I really think Crawley talks corporate code. How she manages to get funding that to everyone else is scarce, in large amounts, is beyond chance. She is basically like the PR wing of companies like Coca Cola when they close of poor areas near villages in Africa to use up the scarce local water supply to turn it into a beverage than the locals cannot even afford to buy.

Shes like the opposite of Robin Hood, or perhaps if she had enough food for 5000 people she could turn it into 5 loaves and two fish.

Last edited:

Jo Best

It says she was also on the conference programme committee :eek:

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

To ensure the successful development of the 2017 conference programme and provide expertise in postgraduate education, research funding, and publishing, the following people sat on the conference programme committee:

Inara

It seems she is one of these vassals with the order to do anything to "proove" ME (or any illness that disturbs) is "psychological"; one very common element of propaganda is declaring a fact as opinion and an opinion as fact, and labeling statements as "expert knowledge".

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle." (Sun Tzu, The Art of War)

I am therefore thankful for threads like this one.

RogerBlack

It seems she is one of these vassals with the order to do anything to "proove" ME (or any illness that disturbs) is "psychological"; one very common element of propaganda is declaring a fact as opinion and an opinion as fact, and labeling statements as "expert
I wholly disagree with this.
I think she truly believes that what she preaches is truth, and that it's just that infidels do not understand the clear word of god handed down in the PACE et al trials.

More seriously, she has a hypothesis which she deeply believes in and misinterprets and sidelines as unimportant contrary evidence.

Jo Best

How can all other doctors (myhill, KDM....) be reported and nobody has open an investigation for false claims to this woman??? Best thing the ME associations can do for the kids. This is just plain irresponsible.
The UK General Medical Council has investigated complaints against Esther Crawley and it seems she has free rein to claim and do as she pleases. Even when the GMC finds a complaint justified they decide to take no action; for example, her claim that ME or CFS is different in children compared with adults, as reason for doing a trial of the Lightning Process in children before its safety and efficacay had first been tested in adults.

Last edited:

Inara

@RogerBlack
My post doesn't necessarily exclude her believing what she says. Why are you so sure about that? I barely know her, that's why I ask.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I wholly disagree with this.
I think she truly believes that what she preaches is truth, and that it's just that infidels do not understand the clear word of god handed down in the PACE et al trials.

More seriously, she has a hypothesis which she deeply believes in and misinterprets and sidelines as unimportant contrary evidence.
Cognitive dissonance personified

If any of the other panel members have ever queried Crawley (and if anyone knows them) it would be worth seeing if they could be primed to ask some probing questions