The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

25 mg Lactic Acid in Kombucha: Problem for PWCs?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Kierkegaard, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard

I don't think I "fit" the definition and symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (e.g., I don't fulfill all the medical criteria, symptoms seem to sway relative to hormones and possible influence on thyroid, have tried most supplements for CFS with no benefit), but I do have post-exertional malaise when I exercise more than a little bit, often feeling worse the entire next day in terms of fatigue. I don't think I have easy muscle soreness, but this was something that seemed to start happening over a year ago when I started getting PEM, despite being on testosterone replacement. I don't get usual lactic acid symptoms, like soreness.

That said, I have been drinking (and loving more than I thought) kombucha along with taking a good probiotic supplement, which seems to help my gut motility (and therefore, important for me, my estrogen). This kombucha drink has 25 mg of lactic acid. I haven't noticed any direct or obvious connections between drinking it and an increase in symptoms, BUT:

Does anyone know if this is too much or a bad thing in general to consume lactic acid if I have chronic fatigue (but not necessarily diagnosable CFS, likely fine lactic acid levels but possibly not)?

2. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

When I take Kombucha I get an immediate reaction, as I do with most fermented drinks, like water kefir too.
    I don't know if lactic acid causes the symptoms, but I did read that it was a histamine reaction that caused the problems. I took a ton of anti-biotics at various stages in the past. I mean, really heavy courses.

If I could take Kombucha or kefir with no noticeable symptoms like you, then I would certainly do it personally. I know for certain that my gut microbiome is compromised and I think daily kefir/kombucha would repopulate me in a good way.
    I am sure other people will chime in about the lactic acid question.

See more popular forum discussions.