1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23andme + Yasko results

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by madietodd, Oct 8, 2012.

1. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I just got my 23andme results, and of course they're the same as Yasko's except that between them I got results on 31 genes.....they filled in each other's four blanks.

I'm +/- on 14, and +/+ on 2 (marked):
    COMT V158M
    H62H
    VDR BSM
    Taq
    Fok 1 +/+
    MAO A +/+
    MTHFR A1298C
    BHMT 01
    ACHY 01
    SHMT1 C1420T
    NOS 3 D28E

Sorry if there are typos.

If anybody understands this well enough to give me quick thoughts, that would be great. If not, has anybody found places where I can click on the gene and get taken to an explanation? Like an interactive methylation cycle diagram? I get dizzy trying to read through and coordinate lists of information.

Madie
    L'engle likes this.
  2. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    This is pretty good, but it's pretty much just a slightly watered down version of what Yasko sends in the detailed write-up.
    madietodd likes this.
  3. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Thanks, Sparrow! It's just all too complicated for me to understand put together. Maybe I'll study one gene a week and stick all the information on a big sheet of poster board.
  4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I agree, Heartfixer is a good place to start. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

According to Yasko, this is the order of treatment. If you don't have one of these SNPs, then just skip to the next one:
    SHMT/ACAT, CBS, MTHFR, MTR/MTRR, BHMT, MAO A, SUOX, NOS, VDR.

So what I did was open up a new Word document, then go down the list of my mutations, and cut and paste the info on each one in order of treatment. That will give you a nice list of SNP descriptions and treatment in the order they need to be done.

So your first one is SHMT, then skip CBS, then MTHFR A1298C, skip MTR/MTRR, then BHMT and so on. You don't really need to look at the diagrams.

You have some others that aren't on the Yasko's order of treatment list. I would just put them at the bottom.
    madietodd likes this.
  5. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Thanks, Caledonia. This is very helpful.......I couldn't figure out how to start organizing the information. And thanks for posting the Genetic Genie.
  6. sblaque

sblaque

Hello All - I'm new to this site.
    I recently ordered the Yasko Methylation Panel. I know many have ordered this test (and the 23andMe version as well) in the past. Yasko says to wait 10-12wks. Does it really take that long to receive results? If it does, is it worth it also ordering the 23andMe panel since that takes less than 3wks from what i have read?
  7. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I think it took the full 12 weeks for me to get my Yasko results. The methylation genes tested are almost identical, but Yasko sends a lot of interpretive information with the results. 23andme is useful because it also gives disease susceptibility information........I have a few cancers in my immediate family. There's no reason to add 23andme for methylation results, if you're already getting Yasko's test.
  8. sblaque

sblaque

Okay, that makes sense. I will just be patient to get my result from Yasko. It has already been two weeks. Thanks!
  9. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    I'm trying to decide whether to go with Yasko or 23andme. Will definitely get one of them. And soon. I'd really appreciate it if those of you who have done either of these tests could provide me with some info/advice. Thanks.
    23andMe
    How many mutations does 23andme test for? My thinking here is that if methylation is either not the problem or the treatment doesn't help much, if I go with this one, perhaps it can point the way to other problems that I can fix. Or does it not give out much additional info? Are there any mutations you feel are "key" that this doesn't address?
    Yasko
    How do you collect the sample? Is this also a saliva test? If I can't find a co-operative health professional, would I be able to get this test? How much help is her personal input and would I be expected to use her products if I went this route?
  10. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I think Yasko was a blood test, and if so, she sent a kit with a little finger-pricker and special cardboard to collect on. I didn't have to go out to get blood drawn.
    You don't exactly get personal information. You get a page of the genetic results, and pages that describe the action of those genes, and other pages that are checklists of supplements to take depending on your genes. You also get supporting materials on DVD and in a booklet. This is obviously set up for parents of autistic children, not brain-fogged PWCFS like me.
    But unlike 23andme, you DO get a lot of information about your methylation picture.

Yasko tested 30 genes.

23andme doesn't provide information about the genes they test. They hide the information from us and put it through their filters, then provide us with results (like liklihood of getting XYZ disease). If anybody has found a way around this, please tell me.
  11. sblaque

sblaque

One thing i will add is that the Yasko test takes a little longer than 23andMe. I believe the estimated wait time before results are sent is between 10 and 12 wks. I submitted my samples 8wks ago. I am so anxious to get it :)
  12. Harry35

Harry35

Yasko gives you 31 methylation-related SNPs. 23andMe gives you 26 of those including the major ones, but they test a total of 960,000 SNPs, so there are many other things you can do with the data you get from 23andMe, provided you can figure out how to use it. It's not easy, and they aren't very user friendly, but their data will tell you many interesting things like what your ApoE alleles are and whether you have one of the major coagulation mutations (FVL, FII20210). In the long run, 23andMe will probably be more useful (and its cheaper), but for now, MTHFR is the primary area that has been examined, principally by GeneticGenie.com and piggy-backing off of Yasko and Dr. Roberts (heartfixer.com). 23andMe uses rs-numbers to describe SNPs, whereas most researchers use the SNP name when they report a study of SNPs. I still haven't figured out how to go from the name to the rs# (some are clear, MTHFR C677T is RS 1801133, for example), but how to find the rs# for an arbitrary SNP name is still a mystery - there should be a website that does that, but I haven't found it yet. Anyway, I'm treating my methylation issues with 23andMe, GeneticGenie, and heartfixer.

See more popular forum discussions.