• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe testing looks like it will finally be completed soon. Tips on where to send the raw data?

What is the best thing out there?
All I have really thought about is Stratagene but I know there are others.
Pros? Cons?

alicec

First you need to understand that most SNPs do nothing so you don't want a service that simply notes that variants are present or that reports on variants which are claimed to be important but for which there is no evidence or evidence to the contrary.

Instead look for services that rank SNPs based on the research associated with them. Promethease and Enlis are two that come to mind.

Do any of you smart people having a starting point for me for working with:

homozygous C677T?
homozygous VDR taq?

heterozygous for:
  • MTRR A66G
  • MTRR K350A
  • CBS C699T
  • SHMT1 C1420T
This is just doing the free genetic genie tool. Would something else be more likely to show SNPs that this tool does not?

alicec

Genetic Genie reports on the SNPs that Yasko is interested in. This selection is exactly the type of analysis you should avoid. Most of the SNPs do little or nothing and erroneous claims are made for many of them.

There are a couple of the SNPs that do have an effect but these are common SNPs shared by many millions of people. They have modest effects and are certainly not the cause of health problems. At best a few may make a contribution, depending on other circumstances.

Of the SNPs you list, the first does definitely slow the MTHFR enzyme so ensuring that folate intake is abundant (vegetables plus maybe modest supplementation of methyl folate) is important.

The two MTRR SNPs do have a very slight effect, so again ensuring adequate B12 intake would be recommended.

The others are not significant.

alicec

Thoughts on Xcode?

I'd not come across this so had a look at the website. Sounds good but no report example to see the kind of thing to expect.

I certainly was not prepared to pay $100 or so for their series of reports - very expensive compared with many - but was prepared to spend $20 to see what they were offering.

I wasn't terribly impressed. They do tell you what genes they look at to come to their conclusions, but not what SNPs they are analysing. This to me is an unforgiveable omission. It's another one of these "trust me" sites with no easy way to independently evaluate what they are saying.

I did a bit of sleuthing on a couple of recommendations to try to work out what they were based on. It does appear that there is at least some research behind the recommendations - better than Yasko for example who just makes things up - but I did wonder about the strength of some of it.

The problem with these types of reports is that you only hear about the SNPs the company wants to report on, there is no capacity to get info about any other SNPs you might be interested in.

Companies like Promethease and Enlis include a vast amount of info that can be searched by gene and filtered by things like rarity of SNP so you can potentially get far more useful information out of them.

They are more complex however while things like the Xcode reports are very straightforward with ready made conclusions that you don't have to think about.

I'd not come across this so had a look at the website. Sounds good but no report example to see the kind of thing to expect.

I certainly was not prepared to pay $100 or so for their series of reports - very expensive compared with many - but was prepared to spend $20 to see what they were offering.

I wasn't terribly impressed. They do tell you what genes they look at to come to their conclusions, but not what SNPs they are analysing. This to me is an unforgiveable omission. It's another one of these "trust me" sites with no easy way to independently evaluate what they are saying.

I did a bit of sleuthing on a couple of recommendations to try to work out what they were based on. It does appear that there is at least some research behind the recommendations - better than Yasko for example who just makes things up - but I did wonder about the strength of some of it.

The problem with these types of reports is that you only hear about the SNPs the company wants to report on, there is no capacity to get info about any other SNPs you might be interested in.

Companies like Promethease and Enlis include a vast amount of info that can be searched by gene and filtered by things like rarity of SNP so you can potentially get far more useful information out of them.

They are more complex however while things like the Xcode reports are very straightforward with ready made conclusions that you don't have to think about.

Thanks for the response!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I liked http://www.mthfrsupport.com (Sterling's Reports). It cost $30 or $10 if you just want the medicine report. The membership lets you access videos on some of the snps that give more info about each. They also link to some of the research sites, although I think a lot of them do that.

ChrisD

TODAY 27/4/18: On the occasion of DNA Day, Promethease is providing full reports for free for a limited time.

Upload your DNA data now to receive free reports.

We now have improved infrastructure in place that allows you to upload your data once and then generate updated reports free of charge. This change, together with the current offer, means you can get Promethease reports for free now and in the future. If you are already using Promethease, you can take advantage of this offer to upload additional DNA data files you may be managing.

1. Go to https://www.promethease.com
  2. If it's your first time, you will see a disclaimer. Check all the checkboxes and click "I agree".
  3. Click "Upload raw data" or "Import from 23andMe.com".
  4. When prompted, click the "Create free report" button.
  5. If you want to get free updates in the future, keep the storage option enabled. This will allow us to save your data and generate updated reports for you.
  6. Pick a password for your account, then click "Begin Analysis".
  7. Wait about 5 minutes to receive your first report.

I thought this may be useful for people who haven't done this already.