• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results are in.. any help interpreting these would be very welcome

Hi All,

I've got my 23andme results back and have attached in below. I have had a look at Genetic Genie's analysis of these, but to be honest I find that my knowledge of SNPs is not good enough to gain full value from what this told me; it's a complex world and I am still learning. Therefore, if any kind member of this forum has a spare moment and has any thoughts on the implications of my results, I would love to hear them.

About me: I suffer from low energy and have been on Rich Vank's simplified protocol for around a year, but haven not really seen any change in symptoms as a result.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Sea

The combination of heterozygous MTHFR mutations indicates a need for more folate. As you would be inefficient at converting folate to methylfolate, the form needed by the body, it would be best to supplement methyfolate directly.

The heterozygous mutations in MTRR indicate a possible difficulty with recycling B12 which in normal people happens over and over. Supplementing with B12 can overcome this.

You may need supplements in much larger amounts than the simplified protocol if that is not helping you.

Helen

I agree with @Sea about supplementing methylfolate and B12 and in as high doses as you need. Maybe you use hydroxycobalamin and would need methylcobalamin, the bioactive form, instead? And as injections ? Dibencozide (adenosylcobalamin), the other active B12, also add energy to many, and is worth trying.
If you have GST gene mutations (see your Detox panel) , this could cause a decreased ability to conjugate/bind with glutathione. That mean toxins will not be "taken away"from the body. Look for what the test says about your GSTM1, GSTP1 and GSTT1 SNP´s. If you have amalgam fillings they will put demand on the methylation and the GST enzymes are important for the detox of mercury.
If I am not mistaken, I think Rich Van Konynenburg posted a message about what could go wrong on a methylation protocol, and what to check.

Critterina

Hi All,

I've got my 23andme results back and have attached in below. I have had a look at Genetic Genie's analysis of these, but to be honest I find that my knowledge of SNPs is not good enough to gain full value from what this told me; it's a complex world and I am still learning. Therefore, if any kind member of this forum has a spare moment and has any thoughts on the implications of my results, I would love to hear them.

About me: I suffer from low energy and have been on Rich Vank's simplified protocol for around a year, but haven not really seen any change in symptoms as a result.

Thanks for reading!
Do you know what your vitamin D levels are? With the VDR Taq +/+ you may feel better when your levels are higher (70-75 range) because the receptor doesn't work as well. Having Vit D circulating in higher concentrations may help, but it's something you want to have checked if you supplement, so you know you're not overdoing it.

Rich's protocol called for hydroxyB12. I'm guessing methylB12 may set you off, so if you try it, please try a small amount first, not changing any thing else.

Another thing to think about is TMG. It supports your BHMT 08 +/-. It might not be a big deal if your MTRR gets to working fine. But it might help. Again, separate experiment.

I agree with the other comments; you may need lots more methylfolate. I also have a spray called SHMT from holistic health, to address that mutation. I've never used it consistently, and I don't have your SNP combination, so I don't know if it will help.

My ideas, there. Like I heard once "Free advice, worth every penny you paid for it; and I expect you to treat it as such.":p

Good luck!

Do you know what your vitamin D levels are? With the VDR Taq +/+ you may feel better when your levels are higher (70-75 range) because the receptor doesn't work as well. Having Vit D circulating in higher concentrations may help, but it's something you want to have checked if you supplement, so you know you're not overdoing it.

Rich's protocol called for hydroxyB12. I'm guessing methylB12 may set you off, so if you try it, please try a small amount first, not changing any thing else.

Another thing to think about is TMG. It supports your BHMT 08 +/-. It might not be a big deal if your MTRR gets to working fine. But it might help. Again, separate experiment.

I agree with the other comments; you may need lots more methylfolate. I also have a spray called SHMT from holistic health, to address that mutation. I've never used it consistently, and I don't have your SNP combination, so I don't know if it will help.

My ideas, there. Like I heard once "Free advice, worth every penny you paid for it; and I expect you to treat it as such.":p

Good luck!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply; your advice is helpful.

I do have slightly low vit D levels so am supplementing with 5-10,000 iU, depending on whether it's winter or summer.