1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23andme methylation results in, how do they relate to B12

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by anniekim, Feb 23, 2014.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I've just got my 23andme results in and I was wondering if anyone could be kind enough to tell me if they throw any light on whether I should be taking B12, if so, which form, and also whether I should be taking metafolin. Many thanks in advance

My methylation results are:

++
    Bhmt 08
    Bhmt 02
    VDR taq

+ -

MTHFR 03 P39P
    MTHFR A1298C
    COMT V158
    COMT H62H
    MAO-A R297R
    MTR A2756G
    MTRR A66G
    MTRR K350A
    CBS A360A

I read this on the genetic genie report, 'With a COMT + status, it has been clinically observed by physicians that people may have trouble with methyl donors'. Would this mean I wouldn't tolerate methyl B12 well? Many thanks
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Oh, I missed that in your other post! Sorry! I looked for it specifically, too. Darn it!

Yes, you have MTRR A66G, so you'll benefit from B12. If you're worried about COMT, try hydroxycobalamin. Not everyone with COMT reacts to methylcobalamin, but some do. Up to you which. Just avoid cyanocobalamin. Adenosylcobalamin is not the one for this SNP, but some people take it (I do) and like it.

This said, B12 will speed up the use of methylfolate for the methyl cycle. You will risk depleting methylfolate when you add B12. So start your methylfolate until you like your dose. Then add B12 slowly and expect that you may need to increase your folate significantly when you add B12. Signs you need to do this are cracks at the sides of your mouth, acne, and peeling around your fingernails. Some people also lose a lot of potassium when they start these supplements, which can make you feel miserable. Coconut water is good for that, because I can (at least I think I can) judge by whether it tastes like I need it. Too much potassium is very dangerous, and associated with primary adrenal insufficiency, so it's good to know that you don't have that before you start.
    helen1 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.