1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23andme, holistic heal or full genome?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by knackers323, Aug 10, 2013.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Apparently it is possible to get the full genome sequenced for $3000-$6000. I have not yet looked into the quality of this but if true, would this be better than the 23andme or the yasko gets?
  2. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I think that depends on how much pain your pocketbook can stand, and what you really want to know.

I did (prices approximate)
    23andMe $107 with shipping (over 107,000 960,000 base pairs) [Edit per Valentijn's correction]
    Sulfite/sulfate test strips $70 with shipping (doesn't look like a SUOX problem to me!)
    Genetic Genie $20 donation (methylation and detox both) - although I'd already done the methylation by hand
    Promethease $20? (I would do again, as I found which OTC drugs & caffeine raise my cardiac risk - good info!)
    Total: a bit over $200.

What is it I'd like to know that I don't? I have risk alleles, single or double, in every step of the folate cycle plus NOS3, MAO A, BHMT, and VDR Bsm, and tested low for tryptophan and methionine in the last blood test. Even if my poor enzymes are limping along, they need substrate. I think I'd spend my remaining $2800-$5800 on supplements, trying to push things in the right direction. By the time I get this straightened out, if I need more data, I'd consider it, but I have plenty to work with. And by then, another $99 to 23andMe might get me what I want, as they keep expanding.

I found that it's not the data that's in short supply, it's the understanding of what to do with it. Many of the base pairs that have been identified, even when I'm in the minority, nobody knows what that means. This site has been the most helpful of anything, even with some differing opinions held by very senior people here, of trying to make sense of the data I do have. I don't find more data desirable, particularly at that price.
  3. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Hi Critterina, thanks for the reply. Have you had any success in treating these findings?
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Actually 23andMe gives about 960,000 results :p

I'd stay away from the Yasko test - way too expensive, and many of the SNPs tested have no known impact upon gene function.

Whole genome sequencing would be awesome (there are some useful SNPs which 23andMe misses). If money were really no object, I'd go for that. But otherwise, 23andMe is a great alternative.
  5. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I've only had the results for less than 3 weeks, test strips less than that, during which time I was on a protocol leading to blood tests, so I didn't want to change it. For the 12 days or so that I've been able to experiment, yes, I've had some success, but not overwhelming to date.
  6. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    @Valenijn, Thanks for clearing that up. There was a really big number that started with "107,00"... when I was processing something with my genome. ...wonder what that was?

See more popular forum discussions.