1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23andme - glutathione gene

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by snowathlete, Mar 27, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I put my 23andme data through Promethease, and one of the rare, but interesting things i have seen so far is this one: rs4376531 (C,G):
    Glutathione S-Transferase T1 and M1: Gene Sequence Variation and Functional Genomics

Anyone know anything about what this means?
  2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Are you sure rs4376531 is associated with Glutathione S-Transferase? Omim says it is associated with the ARHGEF10 gene.

Anyway, Omim.org has this polymorphism associated with increased risk for ischemic stroke, at least in the case of Chinese Han:

http://omim.org/entry/601367?search=rs4376531&highlight=rs4376531

This is what Pubmed shows:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=rs4376531
  3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    That's what promethease says. No idea if it's accurate, but it also mentions the Chinese Han thing.
  4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I downloaded the Promethease program but am having trouble figuring out how to import my 23andme data. Is there a file from 23andme that I need to download and save to my computer? Did you find some directions somewhere that were helpful and clear?

Sorry to hijack your thread...just hopeful you can help since you did it successfully! Thanks, Ema
  5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Hi Ema,

No problem. In 23andme, at the top right click on Account, and then select Browse Raw Data.
    Then on the right, toward the top click on Download Raw Data. It then asks for your password etc, but is pretty straight forward from there.
    Once downloaded you need to extract it, because its a compressed file. Let me know if you need help with that.

Then, launch Promethease, and click browse (if i remember correctly) and go to the raw data file that you extracted. Thats pretty much it.

I used the free version of Promethease and it took about 3 hours, something like that.

Best
    Joel
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Thank you! It worked perfectly...now for the fun of actually reading it. Uggh! I have so many more bad things than good!

See more popular forum discussions.