• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme DNA test failed twice.

I took the test twice and failed both times. I followed everything perfectly. 23andme states that "only 3% of first kits fail". It seems that one reason people may fail is because the concentration of DNA is insufficient to produce genotyping results. Does anyone one know why your saliva would not contain enough. Are there any issues that could cause this? I'm very curious. I bought their Health + Ancestry kit, but mainly cared for the Health aspect.

robinhood12345

SNP testing is now obsolete because of the low price of whole genome/exome sequencing. I ordered a kit from Dante labs in Europe as they are the cheapest I could find, and they post world wide. There are a lot of other labs in USA that do it too if one googles around.

SNP testing is now obsolete because of the low price of whole genome/exome sequencing. I ordered a kit from Dante labs in Europe as they are the cheapest I could find, and they post world wide. There are a lot of other labs in USA that do it too if one googles around.

Thank You. That price is a little steep for me, as on now, but I plan to eventually use it. Do you think it was worth it? Has your health improved in any way, since getting the results back? It is easy to find reviews on 23andme, but I can't find many comments on whole genome sequencing and their thoughts on if it helped them..

robinhood12345

It is worth every cent, and more. 950 AUD is only a few doctors appointments worth of fees which will not result in a diagnosis where as with WES/WGS it will result in a diagnosis if someones does have a genetic disease or will show if someone is heterozygote for a gene that may be effecting them. The kit has not arrived in the mail yet so I havnt spit in it, and sent it back. It is 50 business days from when they get the sample to when the email the results with interpretation. There is a few review websites about WGS where people are highly recommending it, and saying it helped them get a diagnosis. 23andme tests less than 1% of DNA where as WGS/WEs does 100%. It has info on the Dante Labs website.

This is a good video about WGS/WES

robinhood12345

What makes you think testing less than 1% of the DNA, and for non pathogenic mutations with things like 23andme is better than testing 100% of DNA for pathogenic mutations with WGS/WES?

I'm a newbie when it comes to this type of stuff, but I have found the video you posted to be very informative. It's interesting to find out that 23andme tests less than 1% of DNA whereas WGS/WEs does 100%. Considering that, It's obvious that Dante Labs is superior. I just emailed the company on whether they think that my DNA in my saliva will be sufficient.

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

robinhood12345

Yes DNA in saliva is sufficient. A saliva sample kit is what they send out. They would of done 100s or 1000s of tests with this method.

lafarfelue

The only reasons that I can think of are:
- someone drank or ate too close to when they collected the saliva, stripping their own DNA away before collection
- there's a mouth/throat/sinus candida or bacterial overgrowth that may be overwhelming the amount of actual human DNA in the saliva collection

As for other options; there are a few threads on this forum that discuss SNP analysis and different companies and what amount they analyse etc. There is also discussion about whether it's better to get WGS or WES. If the search function doesn't work too well via the forums, you can easily run a search of the forums via Google :)

From what I've gathered in other threads, while 23andMe used to be useful as a diagnostic starting point for PwME, 23andMe recently updated the SNPs it analyses. So it isn't as useful for us as a diagnostic tool as it used to be. (Apparently 23andMe is now focussing more on ancestry than diagnostics.)

It seems like Genos (WES) is one that Dr Ron Davis has been using as part of his research, and at around USD$400, it's more affordable than many others out there.

Dante Labs is an even newer kid on the block by many accounts, so it will be interesting to see how they deliver!