• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme & Chronic insomnia and family history of psychiatric/CNS disorders

ppodhajski

oh..good question. how can we figure that out? I'll email 23andme if necessary

Yes, do that if you can. But I think it would be better to contact someone at promethease.

Curious, what does your 23andme look like for that SNP?

This is mine:
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 2.08.57 PM.png

ppodhajski

@xptriado This is the first thing I would fix. I think this is the most under appreciated SNP. SUOX: I see this homozygous in children with autism and heterozygous in people with brain fog, heart palpitations, GERD and fatigue. You are heterozygous like me. Taking molybdenum and thiamin (as TPP) solved so many issues for me.

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 2.14.11 PM.png

This enzyme turns sulfites into sulfates. Sulfates bind to minerals, mostly metals (the good and bad ones). I am still unclear as to the importance of this but I think it helps clear mercury and also helps transport iron where it is needed. It may have something to do with selenium as well.

I took molybdenum for a short time for this and thiamine as well since they are both cofactors. I believe this SNP can cause thiamine depletion as well leading to issues in the TCA cycle like we talked about. You might want to start by trying thiamine since it is water soluble and have no toxicity.

Gondwanaland

@xptriado Looking at your SNPs:

A question for anyone. I have seen this in other peoples promethease reports and do not know what it means when we see a "-" where an allele is supposed to be. Is it a deletion, like the gene is broke or is it a problem with the DNA report, that they just could not read it. Or is it that it is on the X chromosome and these are just two different ways it reads the report. We are both male. Hmm, maybe I have some extra X chromosomes?

This is my MAOA SNP:
View attachment 10756

And this is xptriado's:
View attachment 10757
Perhaps you have an older report version on your computer?

Gondwanaland

I do not take this everyday but I do eat brazil nuts often.
I haven't been feeling well with selenium supp lately and dedicated myself to eat Brazil nuts, but I made a mess of adding this high tyramine nut to other high tyramine foods (yogurt, banana :bang-head:)
I never had any of these test done, I think they can help but they are unnecessary to healing. I am proof of that.
I have no access to those tests and will just have to do without them!
Again, a lot of these low nutrients I think are not the cause of problems, but symptoms of other problems.
Agree!
I will have a longer post on this soon.
Looking forward to it! BTW, welcome to PR :thumbsup:
For looking up cofactors for genes I use this:
http://www.uniprot.org
Thank you so much, very useful link!

ppodhajski

ppodhajski

@xptriado, I am wondering if you could spend the $5 and run your promethease report again. I am concern about your MAO SNPS an taking FMN. I can't read them well since they are so different than my report. Taking FMN without these SNPs could cause problems.

Do you have ulcerative colitis?

@xptriado, I am wondering if you could spend the $5 and run your promethease report again. I am concern about your MAO SNPS an taking FMN. I can't read them well since they are so different than my report. Taking FMN without these SNPs could cause problems.

Do you have ulcerative colitis?
@ppodhajski yes i will run the report again on promethease when im in front of the PC.

I dont have ulcerative colitis.
I have allergic reactions, to something...bed sheet?! I wake up with one clogged nistril on a pretty consisten basis. For this i also had looked before at the dao. What could i take for it? At the time i thought about quercetin or hesperidin.

Supplementing with methionine would be in line with the low homocysteine(?). and phosphatidilcholine is something i was meaning to try along with other phospholipids. Have you tried supplementing phospholypids?

PEMT and propecia! I never thoguht of that. I will look closer at that article as it talks about pemt in liver hepatocytes and foxa1!! This could be one piece of the puzzle. And regarding the other article (last link), my estrogen is below limit and i want to increase it even if im a male. Just to see the reaction

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I have allergic reactions, to something...bed sheet?! I wake up with one clogged nistril on a pretty consisten basis. For this i also had looked before at the dao. What could i take for it? At the time i thought about quercetin or hesperidin.
So does my husband. He takes fresh Royal Jelly sublingually 1st thing in the morning and it passes.

We both are +/+ DAO rs3741775, but his symptoms are worse, he had asthma for most of his life and has been relapsing in the last winters. I hope we can try the DAOsin enzyme sometime soon (it's quite expensive).

My
So does my husband. He takes fresh Royal Jelly sublingually 1st thing in the morning and it passes.

We both are +/+ DAO rs3741775, but his symptoms are worse, he had asthma for most of his life and has been relapsing in the last winters. I hope we can try the DAOsin enzyme sometime soon (it's quite expensive).
My dad had asthma too. He is much better now, it seems to have disappeared.

ppodhajski

@ppodhajski yes i will run the report again on promethease when im in front of the PC.

I dont have ulcerative colitis.

Supplementing with methionine would be in line with the low homocysteine(?). and phosphatidilcholine is something i was meaning to try along with other phospholipids. Have you tried supplementing phospholypids?

PEMT and propecia! I never thoguht of that. I will look closer at that article as it talks about pemt in liver hepatocytes and foxa1!! This could be one piece of the puzzle. And regarding the other article (last link), my estrogen is below limit and i want to increase it even if im a male. Just to see the reaction

Ha, I get the nostril thing too. That might be normal but since I have been treating my SUOX it occurs extremely infrequently to never. It happens mostly on my left nostril.

I do not know what to do with the DAO yet since I did not have any issues with it I have not researched it well enough. But I have two friends with DAO issues so I have been looking at it so I might know more soon. Since you do not have Ulcerative colitis that makes it easier but I need to see your promethease (new one) to make sure I know what to do.

Valentijn

When the frequency is low that means the SNP is kind of rare. So far the research I have seen associates rare SNPS with disease states.

I am saying that if you have a low occurring SNP (low frequency) you should seek the cofactor and take it.
Sort of, and sort of not.

Proper genetic diseases are pretty much only caused by rare SNPs (due to killing people off or making reproduction unlikely), so frequency can be used to help put common SNPs into perspective. If half the planet has the "+" allele, it can safely be assumed to either be doing very little, or that the body is very good at dealing with it.

Even looking at very low frequencies, everyone has quite a few SNPs at or under 1%, and having a few under 0.1% is pretty common as well. My rare SNP program pulls out about 100 SNPs on average at 1% prevalence or less for everyone's 23andMe results. And that's not looking at sex chromosomes or mitochondrial DNA. It also isn't including SNPs with no prevalence data, as happens with pathogenic SNPs and SNPs which have only recently been labeled. So for approximately every 10,000 SNPs from 23andME, 1 is going to be very rare.

Also consider that 23andMe is looking at less than 1 million SNPs, out of 3 billion possible SNPs. So that would suggest that about 300,000 SNPs on every person's genome are going to be very rare. While a couple of those might actually be having a significant impact, simple rarity isn't enough to distinguish which ones they are, or if any are. And how likely is it that 23andMe is getting the most relevant very rare SNPs, when the vast majority of very rare SNPs aren't tested by 23andMe?

And another consideration is that many genes will be completely functional when heterozygous for a mutation, even if that mutation is deadly when homozygous.

So I think rarity provides a starting point to look for problems, and it's a way to filter out a lot of pretty harmless variations. But rarity is very common and is not an indication of problems by itself.

So I think rarity provides a starting point to look for problems, and it's a way to filter out a lot of pretty harmless variations. But rarity is very common and is not anindication of problems by itself.

But provided you dont have anything very rare and harmful (i ran ur program btw) theres currently no other way to do it or is there?

Valentijn

But provided you dont have anything very rare and harmful (i ran ur program btw) theres currently no other way to do it or is there?
Maybe not, with 23andMe data. Exome sequencing might be more productive, but is currently costing around $1,300.

Or you can filter out all of your "i" number results from your 23andMe data, since they use their stupid private ID process for them. Then you can look those up based on position, and see which ones are pathogenic and which version is problematic. But that would take an insane amount of item. I'm hoping we can come up with an automated process, once we have the disc space to download the databases which indicate pathogenic mutations.

Well in any case insomnia is common, anxiety and depression as well...so if they dont come from rare diseases maybe its useful to do this filtering by frequency..ill let you know how im doing after supplementing

The problem is many supplements i try and feel nothing at all. Like magnesium...

I wonder if thats normal or an absorption problem?

The sublingual b12 i can feel it because j get sleepy..glycine oral i can feel too..but many others including herbs i dont

Last edited:

Valentijn

Well in any case insomnia is common, anxiety and depression as well...so if they dont come from rare diseases maybe its useful to do this filtering by frequency.
It's a possibility ... but it's extremely easy for researchers to find big effect sizes if it's a common SNP which is causing problems. So while it'd certainly be possible that they hadn't found the connection because the SNP hadn't been researched yet, if it has been researched then a null result is pretty convincing.

And generally speaking, if it's an SNP with a common variation likely to have a sizeable impact (such as a missense mutation), researchers have been all over it already.

Last edited: