• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23and me couldn't find enough DNA in my saliva ! Anyone else?

Well, darn it, I've had to spring for the $500 to have Yasko's meth DNA testing. I sent two separate samples in to 23andme but no luck with the salivary DNA. I will have to say that 23and me was very good about this and sent the second kit for free and then refunded my money for the original test.

I am SO stoked to have my Yasko results so I can know exactly where my weaknesses are. I just hope I can use some neat websites with Yasko's results that you use with the 23andme results to find out all that deep stuff that is wrong with my DNA. lol.

I sent my Yasko blood in about 2 weeks ago so have a lot more time to wait. Is the turnaround for Yasko results really 6 or 8 weeks??!

PennyIA

I know my son didn't have enough in his first test - yes, they sent the second test for free. But I'm waiting to test him when I could monitor his 'behavior' (he is 10 after all) to make sure he's not just taking a sip of water and spitting it into the tube (which is what I think he might have done the first time).

I was also thinking it wouldn't hurt for him to be using his tongue to 'swipe' his cheeks, etc during the pauses that occur while waiting for more saliva to become available. That and I'll sit next to him talking about all the goodies he gets to eat after the test is complete ... which should get his mouth watering pretty well.

I know my son didn't have enough in his first test - yes, they sent the second test for free. But I'm waiting to test him when I could monitor his 'behavior' (he is 10 after all) to make sure he's not just taking a sip of water and spitting it into the tube (which is what I think he might have done the first time).

I was also thinking it wouldn't hurt for him to be using his tongue to 'swipe' his cheeks, etc during the pauses that occur while waiting for more saliva to become available. That and I'll sit next to him talking about all the goodies he gets to eat after the test is complete ... which should get his mouth watering pretty well.
Funny about the sip of water! I hope he can get some DNA into his sample this second time. My second time around I rubbed my cheeks on the outside which rubbed my cheeks against my teeth on the inside. I was SURE the second time would get some DNA. I wonder if it "means" anything that there wasn't any DNA besides having to shell out the $500!