A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23&Me Back in Business for SNP Testing?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Journeyman, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior Member

Hi folks,

I can see from the numerous '23 & Me results in - please help' posts that 23&ME must finally have the green light to provide their genome testing service, however I'm curious to know how its different to the previous service from 2013.
    Do they provide all the same SNP results as the original service?
    Do they provide extra/new results? (I see a lot of ppl's sigs now show a pyroluria status)

Before I recommend this service to family and friends its important that I understand how useful the data is compared to the old service. If anyone could advise I'd be grateful.

For the stalwarts (Valentijn, Alice, Caledonia et al) have there been any really new findings/developments for those of us that have the old results... I remember participating in the thread for DHFR at one stage which required some hardcore data mining of my 23&Me raw data) and that kind of thing interested me greatly...

Regards
    Journeyman

victoriana likes this.
  2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

As far as I know the service is exactly the same in terms of raw genetic data, the only issue with FDA was about providing health information in the form of carrier status and wellness reports.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23andMe

Journeyman likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@Journeyman - They never stopped testing. They just stopped showing the risk factors for US customers, but most of those are pretty irrelevant anyhow. They have recently received approval for showing one disease-causing mutation.

But much of the same information (and more) can be found through a combination of external services, such as promethease and Analyze My Genes. Analyze My Genes now flags missense mutations and pathogenic status when known.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Journeyman likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.