• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23&Me Back in Business for SNP Testing?

Journeyman

Hi folks,

I can see from the numerous '23 & Me results in - please help' posts that 23&ME must finally have the green light to provide their genome testing service, however I'm curious to know how its different to the previous service from 2013.
Do they provide all the same SNP results as the original service?
Do they provide extra/new results? (I see a lot of ppl's sigs now show a pyroluria status)

Before I recommend this service to family and friends its important that I understand how useful the data is compared to the old service. If anyone could advise I'd be grateful.

For the stalwarts (Valentijn, Alice, Caledonia et al) have there been any really new findings/developments for those of us that have the old results... I remember participating in the thread for DHFR at one stage which required some hardcore data mining of my 23&Me raw data) and that kind of thing interested me greatly...

Regards
Journeyman

Valentijn

@Journeyman - They never stopped testing. They just stopped showing the risk factors for US customers, but most of those are pretty irrelevant anyhow. They have recently received approval for showing one disease-causing mutation.

But much of the same information (and more) can be found through a combination of external services, such as promethease and Analyze My Genes. Analyze My Genes now flags missense mutations and pathogenic status when known.

Last edited: