• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23 and me

Have got my results from above DNA testing, could someone please advise how I can get this data deciphered free of charge. Thank you x

taniaaust1

I think I used genetic genie too, its easy to put ones 23andME data into that.

There are other places too you can put the data into online (there is another one with is free too) and a third site for a very small fee will give one other info back on it eg on your immune system genetic stuff etc (sorry I cant remember what the other sites are called)

alicec

Genetic Genie asks for a donation and is very limited. It lists the SNPs which Yasko is interested in, many of which have no effect whatsoever, plus a few detox SNPs.

For $5 you can get a far more extensive report from promethease.com which ranks SNPs in order of research and is searchable for a wide variety of genes.

A free program which will analyse your rare SNPs has been produced by a PR member @Valentijn . You will find it here. There has been an update and a commentary added. Just download and unzip the files into the same folder. This could be helpful in identifying variants of particular consequence for you.

There are two relatively new sites which are free here and here. I've only looked at them briefly but they too rank SNPs on the basis of research and give links. They don't appear to be as extensive as Promethease but may give some useful info.

With any of these analyses, you need to understand that just because a variant is identified, it doesn't mean there is any consequence - many variants do nothing. You have to work at 23and me results and need to read about the research results for the SNPs to understand what effect they may or may not have.

Unfortunately there is a lot of nonsense proliferating on the internet which makes people worry that every variant is a serious mutation. Most do nothing. A few may have serious consequence but most of us end up finding a collection which has a small effect and possibly make a contribution to health problems but most definitely are not the cause. The variants which have generated the most internet mileage fit into this latter category and are very common.

Here is a recent thread which discusses some resources which can be helpful in understanding 23andme results.
There are also a number of threads on PR discussing various genes.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
I uploaded my raw genetic data to Promethease which pulls relevant information from a research database revealing that which is associated with your particular genes. That cost was only $5 and results were available in 15 minutes.

Promethease provides you with this information in a variety of formats which you can toggle between, and including a summation through a variety of parameters or filters, including relative magnitude of importance, the good, the bad, and by particular issue... all of which is quite searchable. One interesting feature is that one may better discover which drugs may be helpful (or harmful) to your particular genetic combo. That can certainly help one avoid some nasty and potential deadly experiences.

I found their interactive reports to be quite helpful in analyzing the voluminous data.
Sample products are available for review at the site: http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease
Their database is continually updated as research progresses.

There are two relatively new sites which are free here and here. I've only looked at them briefly but they too rank SNPs on the basis of research and give links. They don't appear to be as extensive as Promethease but may give some useful info.

@alicec - Selfdecode is not free, I would be surprised if it has ever been free.

You can use promethease's desktop app for free, it takes some time though(20h or so).