• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23 and Me Results- Thoughts?

Hello All,

I just received my 23 and Me results, and would like to get some interpretations about my findings..would also like to get some recommendations on treatment... Not looking to go the doctor route, and feel that I can figure this out by myself and with some help.. I am not severly ill, but I do have hashimoto's..

Main symptoms are:

Typical hypothyroid symtpoms of poor mood, poor libio, a little cold intolerance, cold hands, constipation, hair loss..

I've gone the diet route for quite about 3 years now with some success but nothing profound..Have been gluten free for over three years.. I eat a higher carb diet consisting of milk, fruit, eggs, meat, orange juice, fish.. Never touch gluten ever... My energy seems to be uneffected and I have a decent amount of it. I also take LDN.. Thyroid homrone has minimal effect on symptoms...

Anyways, If I could get some general guidence as to what I should be doing based on the results below I would appreciate it greatly... Feel free to ask me any question...

Thanks!!!!

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result

VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 CT +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+
SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 AG +/-

Judging by what I've read so far about my SNP's... I am a really screwed up genetically..... Its amazing I don't feel like death...

Sea

Most of the snps tested by 23andme are fairly common and don't predetermine our health by themselves. They can however predispose us to certain health issues but often seem to need to be triggered by some other onslaught - say a nasty viral infection.

Others with more knowledge will chime in here but your snps in MTHFR and MTRR indicate you could have an increased need for methylfolate and B12.

Most of the snps tested by 23andme are fairly common and don't predetermine our health by themselves. They can however predispose us to certain health issues but often seem to need to be triggered by some other onslaught - say a nasty viral infection.

Others with more knowledge will chime in here but your snps in MTHFR and MTRR indicate you could have an increased need for methylfolate and B12.

Thank you, I'm looking for confirmation on that. I will wait for some of the more knowledgeable members.

Here is my detox report of Genetic Genie as well..

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result
CYP1A1*2C A4889G rs1048943 TT -/-
CYP1A1 m3 T3205C rs4986883 TT -/-
CYP1A1 C2453A rs1799814 GG -/-
CYP1A2 164A>C rs762551 AC +/-
CYP1B1 L432V rs1056836 CG +/-
CYP1B1 N453S rs1800440 CT +/-
CYP1B1 R48G rs10012 GG -/-
CYP2A6*2 1799T>A rs1801272 AA -/-
CYP2A6*20 rs28399444 II -/-
CYP2C9*2 C430T rs1799853 CC -/-
CYP2C9*3 A1075C rs1057910 AA -/-
CYP2C19*17 rs12248560 CC -/-
CYP2D6 S486T rs1135840 CG +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T rs1065852 AG +/-
CYP2D6 2850C>T rs16947 GG -/-
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G rs2070676 CG +/-
CYP2E1*1B 10023G>A rs55897648 GG -/-
CYP2E1*4 4768G>A rs6413419 AG +/-
CYP3A4*1B rs2740574 TT -/-
CYP3A4*2 S222P rs55785340 AA -/-
CYP3A4*3 M445T rs4986910 AA -/-
CYP3A4*16 T185S rs12721627 GG -/-
GSTP1 I105V rs1695 AG +/-
GSTP1 A114V rs1138272 CC -/-
SOD2 A16V rs4880 AG +/-
NAT1 R187Q rs4986782 GG -/-
NAT1 R64W rs1805158 CC -/-
NAT2 I114T rs1801280 TT -/-
NAT2 R197Q rs1799930 AG +/-
NAT2 G286E rs1799931 GG -/-
NAT2 R64Q rs1801279 GG -/-
NAT2 K268R rs1208 AA -/-
Gene Result
GSTT1 Absent*

caledonia

There are different thyroid meds and some are better than others. I'm doing ok on Armour Thyroid. In general, the natural ones are better than the synthetics. Have you seen the Stop the Thyroid Madness website?

I have both autoimmune thyroiditis and flatlined adrenals. I've made about a 50% improvment in each by doing methylation supplements (based on being able to reduce the meds/supps for each). I'm taking a break for a few months to work on leaky gut, but I see no reason why I couldn't get complete healing for the thyroid and adrenals once I get back into methylation.

Problems in the HPA axis can be due to lack of glutathione which causes signalling problems further upstream in the hypothalmus and pituitary. So do methyaltion, restore glutathione, and restore the signalling.

Mercury is also toxic to the thyroid. Methylation will restart detox of metals. You may or may not have to do a separate metal chelation program.

Not to offend you Caledonia but I'm well aware of different thyroid meds, leaky gut, and adrenals. I'm well versed in work of Ray Peat, and hes a hypothyroid guru.. Ive been around the block with different thyroid opinions and im well versed in every single one of them... Thats why I take LDN, and now thats why I'm into learning about methylation, because I believe it may be the missing link for me..

In regards to leaky gut, I do not have any food allergies or intolerance that i'm aware of.. No problems with nightshades, dairy, etc...Gut health is okay, aside from some constipation that isnt even bad w/ taking magnesium..And that ties more into absorption and being able to absorb and retain magnesium, which ties into being hypo..

I do suspect detox may be a factor with me but at the same time I remain very skeptical as well.. As I said I am not healthy and on top of the world, but I dont feel run down and dieing either... I would suspect that if I was severely backed up I would feel much worse then i do... Or i have an extremely high toxic yield...

As for my adrenal health, my cortisol readings were all normal...But I do have problems with chronic adrenaline and fight or flight... and that I think ties into methylation keeping me stuck in that loop... I sleep through the night no problems, but never wake up feeling refreshed..

How did you get the table of results pairing the genes with +/- form? I got my 23andme results back and all I see is a list of a million SNPs by rs number.

VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 CT +/-
MTRR A664A -/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+
SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 AG +/-
Heterozygous MTHFR C677T reduces methylfolate production to 65% of normal, and A1298C combined with it can reduce it to 30% of normal. SHMT1 can also have an impact on making MTHFR C677T worse, so your methylfolate production could be in pretty bad shape.

With your MTR and MTRR problems (A664A risk is reported backwards by Yasko and Geneticgenie) B12 production may also be a problem.

BHMT and CBT C699T might be causing mild problems with elevated homocysteine, but maybe not, as they're both heterozygous and neither has a big impact. If that is a problem, B6 might help.

Slow MAOA and slightly slow VDR might result in less tolerance for methyl groups. Hence hydroxoB12 may be the safer form, compared to methylB12, especially if trying higher doses.

SUMMARY:
Methylfolate and B12 supplementation are probably needed. It's also possible that normal dose of B6 would be helpful.

Thanks Valentijn. Much appreciated! Which form of B6, the active p5p form or non-active? Sorry if that is a silly question..

No idea really ... I think opinions differ.

Fair enough..

Valentijn,

I do not see anything here about going on a low sulfur diet (thiol) for CBT before even doing methylfolate/b12.. It was mentioned in my genetic genie report along with addressing the gut etc etc.. I see ppl obsessing over it quite a bit here and among other places, but I'm a bit confused on the subject.. Is it relevant? Obviously there must be a differing of opinion... Was your recommendations based on the fact that I am not severly sick or??

I do not see anything here about going on a low sulfur diet (thiol) for CBT before even doing methylfolate/b12.. It was mentioned in my genetic genie report along with addressing the gut etc etc.. I see ppl obsessing over it quite a bit here and among other places, but I'm a bit confused on the subject.. Is it relevant? Obviously there must be a differing of opinion... Was your recommendations based on the fact that I am not severly sick or??
It's based on the research, not your symptoms. Basically here's a lot of hysteria in about CBS C699T - the (mistaken) theory is that it results in a huge upregulation of the gene and massive amounts of harmful cysteine byproducts building up.

But that myth is based on a study where half the gene was lopped off and inserted into a yeast to see what would happen. So it's completely inapplicable to humans who have not somehow managed to lop off a huge chunk of their CBS gene. :D

Research in humans show that Yasko's +/+ version is actually just a little faster than the -/-, and results in lower homocysteine and reduced risk of associated diseases. No research suggests that C699T +/+ is capable of causing any problems.

That's not to say that no one has a problem with cysteine byproducts - but it is pretty well proven that C699T has nothing to do with it, and there's no studies showing that any CBS SNP upregulation ever causes problems. There's a theoretical exemption from that rule in regards to Downs Syndrome, but again that is a very extreme situation - three copies of the gene are then present instead of two, hence it's quite inapplicable to everyone else.

It's based on the research, not your symptoms. Basically here's a lot of hysteria in about CBS C699T - the (mistaken) theory is that it results in a huge upregulation of the gene and massive amounts of harmful cysteine byproducts building up.

But that myth is based on a study where half the gene was lopped off and inserted into a yeast to see what would happen. So it's completely inapplicable to humans who have not somehow managed to lop off a huge chunk of their CBS gene. :D

Research in humans show that Yasko's +/+ version is actually just a little faster than the -/-, and results in lower homocysteine and reduced risk of associated diseases. No research suggests that C699T +/+ is capable of causing any problems.

That's not to say that no one has a problem with cysteine byproducts - but it is pretty well proven that C699T has nothing to do with it, and there's no studies showing that any CBS SNP upregulation ever causes problems. There's a theoretical exemption from that rule in regards to Downs Syndrome, but again that is a very extreme situation - three copies of the gene are then present instead of two, hence it's quite inapplicable to everyone else.

Thank you so much for clearing that up.

"(1) I would not recommend taking additional folate beyond what is suggested above, since the various forms of folate compete with each other for absorption, and it is important to get enough of the active forms into the body. Also, it is important not to take too much folate, as mentioned above, because this can cause the detox to develop a momentum, so that it will take some time to slow it down if you want to do that."

I read this exert from Rich Van Konynenburg's simplied methylation protocol and i'm a bit confused.. Is he saying to aviod dietary folate as well?? I drink a lot of orange juice (NO Folic acid added 2-4 cups per day) and im wondering if I should cut back on that when I start taking methylfolate.

Could the folate in orange juice interfere with the absorption of methylfolate?

Should methylfolate be taken away from all food?

physicsstudent13

what does methylfolate do exactly? my folate levels were a little low but vitamin B seems ok.
I want to detoxify my body and I have some charcoal. Is there a thread or which supplements do you take for detox? can you do this by taking NAC, vitamin, C, E, selenium, cysteine?

what does methylfolate do exactly? my folate levels were a little low but vitamin B seems ok.
I want to detoxify my body and I have some charcoal. Is there a thread or which supplements do you take for detox? can you do this by taking NAC, vitamin, C, E, selenium, cysteine?
Methylfolate is a B vitamin pretty essential for a lot of biological functions. Its biggest impact is probably seen during pregnancy, where a deficiency can result in a variety of birth defects.

physicsstudent13

so if I want to cure my sleep apnea and have higher energy and cognition what should I take, phosphitadylcholine and coQ10 and NAC?

choline also helps pregnancy and memory and prevents defects, it's included in baby food