Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

2017 CMRC Conference

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by AndyPR, Apr 25, 2017.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Go for it MEmum

2. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

ukxmrv, Cornishbird, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  4. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

MEA has 6 grants (to cover registration fee, travel and accommodation) to help students (undergraduate or post-graduate) attend this fourth CMRC conference in September

We already have 3 good applicants - all from students doing serious biomedical research

So applications for 3 remaining places still welcome

More info here:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...es-for-cmrc-research-conference-22-june-2017/

CS

Cornishbird, MEMum, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I'm not very impressed with this one. She goes heavily into pain central sensitization-type research - admittedly into the biological aspect, rather than the vague hand-waving we get from most quacks. But it's still based mostly on extrapolation - eg, rats still being sensitive a few weeks after being injured as babies.

I don't see anything persuasive about her theories, and certainly no relevance to ME/CFS, where there's a great deal of obvious peripheral involvement. She's also one of the MEGA researchers, which means some quacks wanted her on the team for a reason. Her research would be useful in propping up psychosomatic explanations of symptoms, though it doesn't seem to go in the direction of curing anyone with CBT or GET (though such theories inherently suggest there is nothing biomedical that needs curing).

dangermouse, BurnA, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

BPS quack alert. He specializes in declaring Fibromyalgia to connected to mental health problems and not a distinct disease. He firmly concludes that emotional distress causes pain, and not vice-versa:
    These sort of people are an excellent example of how the MEA does itself a disservice in associating with the CMRC.

dangermouse, Joh, sue la-la and 8 others like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

quack funding.jpg

This looks like a quack brag-fest about how the MRC keeps funding them, despite producing methodologically unsound research and even engaging in ME-denialism.

dangermouse, Joh, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    What an arrogant fruit loop.

'I'd certainly be tempted to express my distress physically if I had this man as my doctor.

Sorry, I'm tired, and sick of idiots like this who can't be bothered to think and just go for the easy option of labelling their patients as morally inferior.

Orla, dangermouse, MEMum and 7 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Totally. As it is now open to PWME would be great if some could attend. If it was nearer to home I would give it a go. But Bristol is beyond my travel limits but as I mentioned above I would be happy to make a serious contribution to travel/hotel costs for anyone who is within reach and needs some financial support.

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Such heroes trying to save us from these labels of "fibromyalgia" and "ME":bang-head:
    :mad:

dangermouse and MEMum like this.
  11. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Maybe someone could get in touch with the Bristol ME Support group?
    their FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/bmesg/?hc_...B9qJD9V_9MZ4m-1hR78sPnOsQWHi1ylt_Kjzg&fref=nf

@Jenny TipsforME
    and also Lorna Stephenson at the Bristol Cable (this was her article) :https://thebristolcable.org/2017/07...bristol-university-and-controversial-science/

dangermouse likes this.
  12. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    Well I resigned affiliate CMRC membership in a (polite) huff so no I can't go!

13. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    I'm in the Bristol groups though, remind me in a few days after the NICE challenge is over (probably won't remember on my own).

14. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

I wasn't meaning for you to go, but you said on a previous post that Lorna Stephenson had been in touch with you.

MEMum likes this.
  15. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    If anybody would be willing and able to attend the CMRC conference and tweet and/or write an article on the conference for Phoenix Rising, we could potentially pay expenses. If anyone's interested, please contact me via conversation.

Orla, dangermouse, Kati and 9 others like this.
  16. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Hi @Jenny TipsforME . Do you know anyone who can go on Day 2?

@Mark says
    If anybody would be willing and able to attend the CMRC conference and tweet and/or write an article on the conference for Phoenix Rising, we could potentially pay expenses. If anyone's interested, please contact me via conversation.

dangermouse and Mark like this.
  17. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

The revised agenda, which I cannot currently locate online,for Thurs includes:
    • MEGA starring EC @12:05, followed by
    • Patient and Public Involvement with MEGA, speaker tbc
    I expect this change follows the suggestions by EC at the June CMRC meeting
    "Conference 2017 SC proposed a change to the programme as a result of discussion at the funders’ meeting to have more dedicated time to explore and develop collaborations. The Board approved the proposal and work will now be undertaken to redesign the session."
    See https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/images/2017/06/DRAFT_minutes_CMRC_06.06.17.pdf

The 2 oral presentations @ 12:50 and 15.55 and the Poster presentations timetabled for 16:40, all on the Wed, have no further details on their subject as yet.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    dangermouse, Esther12 and Valentijn like this.
  18. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

I am planning to attend on the Wednesday, but for several reasons would find it difficult to make the Thurs.

Can anyone else go? I strongly suspect that the MEGA talks will be unlikely to be livestreamed due to their content.

19. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    I've asked on the Bristol ME Discussion Group. There's at least 3 Bristol groups (is that normal?!) so I could ask the others as well.

I did also mention to Lorna of the Bristol Cable but they've already had 2 ME articles in a few months so I think unlikely they'd do another so soon.

dangermouse, MEMum, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

CMRC conference update: filming presentations
    August 16, 2017

Experts in neurovirology and orthostatic intolerance take the lead at the fourth annual UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative (CMRC) conference next month, which will be filmed by Action for M.E.

Following feedback from previous conferences, presentations will be video recorded (subject to permission from individual speakers), and uploaded to Action for M.E.’s YouTube channel, rather than livestreamed.

The decision was taken after viewers said they struggled to read what was on presentation slides due to image distortion, and inevitable loss of image quality, caused by broadcasting live over the internet.

This year, Action for M.E. will record presentations using our HD video camera, and upload them to YouTube at the end of each day. Our aim is that, depending on upload speed, films will be available within 48 hours.

We will also post live updates about the event on social media, particularly the @actionforme Twitter account, using the hashtag #CMRC2017.
    https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/cmrc-conference-update-filming-presentations/
    o_O

dangermouse, TiredSam, MEMum and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.