1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

2014 Stanford ME/CFS Symposium Videos

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Timaca, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

Videos of the 2014 Stanford ME/CFS Symposium can be found here.

2. goldberg

goldberg

Thank you,very very interesting.

Timaca and rosie26 like this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Yes interesting.

One thing that interested me was leptin testing as a possible biomarker. We are starting to get a good collection of tests that could be used as a diagnosis.

leptin issues could be a sign of mitochondrial dysfunction? ?

rosie26 likes this.
  4. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    Thankyou so much for getting these up here!

goldberg, rosie26 and Firestormm like this.
  5. goldberg

goldberg

I see hundreds of responses to the MEME thread nonsense and about 4 about the wonderful research that has been done about ME,
    now as this is the future (serious research) and that is the past(psychobubble nonsense)

Why don't we concentrate on the positive future instead of the negative past?

catly, Ruthie24, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Abso-bleedin-ultley :)

Mind you and to be fair. We covered this conference from Stanford and the IACFS/ME conferences in San Francisco extensively at the time with headline articles and analysis and plenty of debate. We had members at the conferences feeding back live news etc. It was all very much covered.

Still it is great to have the video's available at last to one of the conferences at least. Have you watched them yet?

SOC likes this.
  7. goldberg

goldberg

I know that you covered the conference and that was Great,
    but to listen the actual conference is even more GREAT,
    I mean,plenty of high profile researcher are working on CFS,this was a dream a few years ago!

Yes I did watch some of the videos,
    I found very interesting that two completely different studies on two different fields are pointing in the same direction,
    Daily Fluctuations of Cytokines in ME/CFS Patients
    Jarred Younger, MD

Gene Expression Findings in ME/CFS
    Amit Kaushal, MD, PhD

Both of this two studies point toward an inflammatory condition ,
    this means that a symptomatic cure is not too far!

NK17, aimossy and Firestormm like this.
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    @goldberg I have yet to sit down and listen/watch these but I will as soon as possible. Things do certainly seem to be on the up that's for sure :)

rosie26 and aimossy like this.
  9. goldberg

goldberg

Actually a third study is pointing toward an inflammatory state,
    look at the causes of Abnormal delta waves that was found in the ECG study:
    Cerebral inflammatory process.

Attached Files:

NK17 likes this.
  10. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I haven't watched everything yet but my fave presentations so far are by Jarred Younger and Ian lipkin. (Lipkin does not present any positive results, but he explains the wide-ranging ME/CFS research that he's involved in. He speaks really positively of his collaboration with other researchers in the field, and of his optimism for speedy progress, in terms of getting results, between him and his collaborators.) Unger's presentation was also interesting, for me, but only from the point of view of keeping up to date with the CDC's progress (or lack of) and current thinking.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Firestormm, Sasha and aimossy like this.
  11. goldberg

goldberg

Look also at the implications of abnormal beta-2 waves that were found in the ECG study,
    all hallmark symptoms of CFS.

Attached Files:

NK17 likes this.
  12. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Are the clips gone??? I get no video found.

13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    No, still there - I'm watching one now.

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just been watching Anthony Komaroff's presentation.

In it, he mentioned that he'd seen (at the conference?) a diagnostic test that looked perfect in terms of sensitivity and specificity.

Does anyone know what he was referring to?

RL_sparky likes this.
  15. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thought I would skip right to the last video as I want to hear from those speakers most I think.

Hot damn. What I wouldn't give now for a fraction of Komaroff's memory! Phew. He knows his stuff. Ever impressed by his summations.

Wonder what you chaps feel about his thoughts on CBT? (I paraphrase) 'unlike what some patients think or characterise, it's use does not denote a psychiatric illness - after all it is used for other organic illnesses... people won't like me saying it but I do feel it can help people manage their illness and help reduce symptoms...' He speaks about this and use of exercise at around 1 hour 5 minutes in Video 5 (the last video) I guess I might have to transcribe to be more fair. Also he clarifies his position (and includes reference to 'Great Britain') in answer to a question on CBT at the end - unfortunately my timer on the video has stopped functioning!

Will try and transcribe.

Bottom line is for him that CFS has been proven to be a biological illness and that he would expect within ten years that the causal mechanisms can be established.

http://mecfs.stanford.edu/2014SymposiumVideo.html

Next... Lipkin :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Just listening to Lipkin - another one I suppose I should transcribe because I can't remember all this brilliant stuff - but did you realise he had self-funded i.e. paid for the research himself, one of the studies they did at CFI? I mean talk about dedication and determination! :jaw-drop::thumbsup:

Time for another donation to the microbe discovery project methinks :)

Simon, Bob, RL_sparky and 3 others like this.
  17. goldberg

goldberg

Yes Lipkin is incredible , I'm sure we will have amazing results form his study!

Donate Donate Donate!
    https://giving.columbia.edu/giveonline/?schoolstyle=5881&alloc=21677

Simon, Cheshire, RL_sparky and 4 others like this.
  18. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I thought his position (what I remember of it from yesterday) on CBT was the reasonable one that we'd all agree with - that if any patient with any disease is distressed by their situation, CBT can potentially help to manage the distress.

Someone from the audience asked a long and inaudible question about CBT and in his response he agreed that it's not normal in any other disease for CBT to be prescribed wholesale, regardless of whether you're in psychological distress or not. In the UK, of course, CBT for ME is being used by some to attempt to brainwash patients into believing they have "false illness beliefs". I think Komaroff made it clear that that's not the kind of CBT he was talking about.

zzz, Bob, aimossy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yes, that was fairly jaw-dropping - and he said that some lab he used screwed things up and had to do the work again and that he wasn't going to pay $200,000 twice! $200,000!!! :jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop::jaw-drop:

He really wants to get to the bottom of what's wrong with us.

Yes - donate, donate, donate!

SOC, goldberg, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  20. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think it sounds like he's shockingly clueless about the type of CBT being advocated for use in ME/CFS.

It isn't about coping, or managing symptoms. It's about complete denial of a biological illness, verging on brain-washing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    NK17 and Sidereal like this.

See more popular forum discussions.