• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2014 STANFORD ME/CFS SYMPOSIUM: Advances in Clinical Care and Translational Research

Ember

March 19, 2014 – 8:30 am to 6:00 pm

Li Ka Shing Center for Learning and Knowledge, Stanford, California

A Continuing Medical Education Conference Presented by the Department of Medicine and Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine and Stanford Hospital & Clinics

http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/documents/ChronicFatigueSyndromeCME2014-FORMS-r3a.pdf
STATEMENT OF NEED

This CME Symposium seeks to fulfill the need in the medical and research community to increase the awareness that Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a physical condition and real disease. With this activity we hope to impact the fund of knowledge that will optimize the medical care of ME/CFS patients by providing tools and resources from keynote speakers in proper diagnosis, evaluation and management of the ME/CFS patient, as well as spark new ideas for further research. The symposium will utilize lectures, videos of patient interviews, panel discussion, and audience interactive systems to present time-tested information and update attendees in current research findings in ME/CFS at Stanford University.

TARGET AUDIENCE

This course is designed for primary care physicians, family physicians, internists, cardiologists, neurologists, infectious disease, psychiatrists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners,
researchers and interested allied health professionals who manage patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.

LEARNING OBJECTIVES

• Identify patients with ME/CFS and diagnose using Fukuda criteria.

• Incorporate new research findings in ME/CFS into the clinical practice and clinical research, employing current biomarkers.

• Differentiate ME/CFS from psychological and psychiatric illnesses and manage CFS patient adequately.

Ember

It seems that the first learning objective "...using Fukuda." is at odds with the other 2 objectives.
It's even at odds with itself, given that Fukuda is a CFS definition. But take a look too at the program and faculty:
PROGRAM (subject to change)

8:30 to 9:00 am Registration and Light Breakfast

9:00-9:40 am The Stanford ME/CFS Initiative: A Brief History of Collaboration, Innovation and Discovery in the Field of Infection Associated Chronic Diseases
Jose G. Montoya, MD

9:40-10:20 am Epidemiology of ME/CFS, What Have We Learned?
Elizabeth R. Unger, MD, PhD

10:20-10:35 am Break

10:35-11:15 am Daily Fluctuations of Cytokines in ME/CFS Patients
Jarred Younger, MD

11:15-12:00 pm Gene Expression Findings in ME/CFS
Amit Kaushal, MD, PhD

12:00-12:15 pm Break and Boxed Lunches

12:15-1:30 pm Lunch and Learn "Media Portrayal of ME/CFS"
Moderator: Phil Bronstein
Panel: Natalie Boulton, David Tuller, Erin Allday

1:30-2:00 pm "Cardiovascular Aging in CFS"
Mehdi Skhiri, MD

2:00-2:30 pm MRI Findings in ME/CFS
Michael Zeineh, MD, PhD

2:30-3:00 pm Quantitative EEG Studies Suggest Subcortical Pathology in ME/CFS
Marcie Zinn, PhD, Mark Zinn, MM

3:00-4:00 pm Approach to the Medical Care of a ME/CFS Patient: Medical Interview and Diagnostic Pitfalls
Anthony L. Komaroff, MD

4:00-4:15 pm Break

4:15-5:00 pm "Circulating Cytokines in ME/CFS Patients Reveal a Novel Inflammatory and Autoimmune Profile"
Jose G. Montoya, MD

5:00-5:45 pm Microbial Diagnostics and Discovery in ME/CFS
W. Ian Lipkin, MD

5:45-6:00 pm Closing Remarks
Jose G. Montoya, MD

6:00 pm Adjourn

Opportunities for Q&A will be provided at the conclusion of each presentation

FACULTY

All faculty are affiliated with Stanford University Medical Center unless otherwise noted.

Course Director, Moderator, Content Validation Reviewer: Jose G. Montoya, MD, FACP, FIDSA Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine Stanford University School of Medicine Director, Palo Alto Medical Foundation Toxoplasma Serology Laboratory

Co-Course Director: Jarred Younger, MD Assistant Professor in Pain Medicine Director of the Adult and Pediatric Pain Lab at Stanford

Erin Allday Journalist, SF Chronicle

Natalie Boulton A Carer, an Artist Activist and Co-Director of the Film "Voices from the Shadows"

Phil Bronstein Executive Chair, Center for Investigative Reporting

Amit Kaushal, MD, PhD Resident, Department of Medicine Stanford Hospital and Clinics

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD The Simcox-Clifford-Higby Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School Senior Physician, Brigham and Women’s Hospital

W. Ian Lipkin, MD John Snow Professor of Epidemiology and Director Center for Infection and Immunity Mailman School of Public Health Professor of Pathology and Neurology College of Physicians & Surgeons Columbia University

Mehdi Skhiri, MD Clinical Instructor of Medicine, Associate Medical Director, Night Hospital Medicine Division, Division of General Medical Disciplines, Stanford University Medical Center

David Tuller UC Berkeley, Department of Journalism

Elizabeth R. Unger, MD, PhD Chief Chronic Viral Diseases Branch Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Disease Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Michael Zeineh, MD, PhD Assistant Professor of Radiology Stanford University Medical Center

Marcie Zinn, PhD Research Consultant in Experimental Neuropsychology and Quantitative Electroencephalography, Stanford University Medical Center, Department of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine Executive Director, Society for Neuroscience and Psychology in the
Performing Arts, Performing Arts Psychophysiology Research Institute

Mark Zinn, MM, PC Director, Attainment Center for Neuroeducation Research Consultant in Cognitive Neuroscience Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine Stanford University School of Medicine

Last edited:

barbc56

Could any of the talks above lead to conclusions of the existence/importance of PEM?

I'm too tired atm, to be able to process the above.:sleep:

Last edited:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
To read the agenda it sort of looks like its going to be all over the place from a physiological stand point. It doesn't seem to big on psychological issues unless you sort of tweak some of those topics. The one about subcortical pathology in ME/CFS should be interesting. Lipkin and Montoya have the whole last 1 and a half hours of the meeting with 2 very interesting topics.

I hope they stick something in Unger's ###.

The faculty that is noted is just full of phycology people!!!!

barbc56

I only see one psychiatrist. and maybe with the number of those doing research in biomarkers will present importance persuasive evidence of biomedical research. Hopefully!!!

I don't get the remark about Unger. If you don't want to actually write it just cite a source. I'll try that myself.
Thanks.

justinreilly

I am very impressed. Almost all of these are Stanford names that I haven't heard before doing biomed presentations, presumably mostly about their own research.

Good to see David Tuller on the agenda. The moderator of his lunch panel is the Executive Director of the Center for Investigative Reporting, a NorCal based non-profit. They look substantial and good. Hopefully they are looking into the dark corners of the whole ME saga that mainstream media hasn't wanted to so far, at the urging of David Tuller, I assume. This could be one of the big breaks we need! Fingers crossed!
http://cironline.org/about-cir

The only gross part is Beth Unger is speaking; eww! Really, Dr. Montoya? you had me very impressed up until that point! (well, other than the whole "chronic fatigue" thing, and the 'learning to diagnose with Fukuda' thing)

justinreilly

I hope they stick something in Unger's ###.

I don't get the remark about Unger. If you don't want to actually write it just cite a source. I'll try that myself.
Thanks.

You'll try that yourself?? Good luck, I think we'll all be rooting you on; I know I will!

What type of source do you need to be cited? I don't think there is much academic literature on this topic.

Iquitos

I am very impressed. Almost all of these are Stanford names that I haven't heard before doing biomed presentations, presumably mostly about their own research.

Good to see David Tuller on the agenda. The moderator of his lunch panel is the Executive Director of the Center for Investigative Reporting, a NorCal based non-profit. They look substantial and good. Hopefully they are looking into the dark corners of the whole ME saga that mainstream media hasn't wanted to so far, at the urging of David Tuller, I assume. This could be one of the big breaks we need! Fingers crossed!
http://cironline.org/about-cir

The only gross part is Beth Unger is speaking; eww! Really, Dr. Montoya? you had me very impressed up until that point! (well, other than the whole "chronic fatigue" thing, and the 'learning to diagnose with Fukuda' thing)

The only thing about Unger being there is that she cannot claim ignorance of what real experts know and as the head of the "Viral" branch, she supposedly would/should inform the rest of her people of the biomedical facts. Meaning, no more psychosocial B.S. from CDC.

Yeah, fingers crossed on that one, too.

Daffodil

is it only me, or does this seminar seem like another colossal waste of time? like mice spinning their wheels while we die.

sorry..bad day here lol

taniaaust1

What a mixed bunch. I had to laugh when I saw that mix.

The only thing about Unger being there is that she cannot claim ignorance of what real experts know and as the head of the "Viral" branch, she supposedly would/should inform the rest of her people of the biomedical facts. Meaning, no more psychosocial B.S. from CDC.

Yeah, fingers crossed on that one, too.

I personally think by this point Unger cant be naive as Im sure the patient group would of educated her well before now. I think her role comes down to playing this illness down as she's part of the CDC (part of whatever conspiratory is going on out there).

I sent a copy of the program to my doctor at the V A Hospital in Palo Alto , where Stanford symposium is being held(in Palo Alto that is). Said I hoped she would attend,that there is much info available from a good group of foremost people. Also emphasized that the V A ought to leading , not following civilians, due to the probability that Gulf War Illness is most likely related to the former CFS and current ME disease. Also pointed out that Dr Montoya from the Stanford Division of Infectious Illness was presenting and it's his home turf. Also pointed out that "infectious illness" infers that something is likely contagious, which I have long held to be true.

And that hopefully she will be able to attend to learn "Why" ME should be included in treatment as a bonafide , life altering disease, and should not be thought of as Experimental Medicine as is its' current status at the Veterans Administration. We shall see, we shall see where this leads.

Wally

is it only me, or does this seminar seem like another colossal waste of time? like mice spinning their wheels while we die.

sorry..bad day here lol

Daffodil,

Sorry that you are having a bad day, but I am glad you voiced your concerns.

It would be naive on the part of the ME/CFS patient population to not understand that the Stanford conference (and the conference following immediate after it sponsored by the IACFSME) is not being used just for educational purposes, but is probably part of a larger strategic fundraising plan for the organization. The target audience for this fundraising push is probably directed more toward the big fish rather than the little individual fish in our patient community.

Maybe something positive will come out of both of these conferences, but it is wise to be cautious in getting our hopes up that a conference will be the turning point for this illness. Patients must remain vigilant and not think someone else is going to carry this fight for them or be their watchdog. We must remain in the fight for our lives and not turn our power over to others just because we are so desperate to end our own misery.

Last edited:
@Ember

Do you know if there will be transcripts from this meeting that we could share with our own primary care physicians? My doc is still very uneducated about ME. I'd like to share this with her, especially if it can help her advise other patients in her practice.

Thanks.

Timaca

I think it is important for physicians and other health care providers to attend this event. So, if you live in the Bay area, or even California, let your health care providers know about this event! It will be a way for them to meet the presenters in a more intimate setting.

Apogan~ It looks like there may be a video of the event available after the meeting. See the link on the Stanford website: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/ Scroll down to first item under Recent News.

Best,

Last edited:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I see where Dr. Unger is suppose to be there. I hope she gets plenty of information and I also wish she would get the message as to how important the "exercise/cycling test" needs to be performed over 2 days to see the definitive impact that is to be observed!!!! Also, that it is not just a stress test, but an actual volumetric oxygen uptake test as well!!