1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

2014 STANFORD ME/CFS SYMPOSIUM: Advances in Clinical Care and Translational Research

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by Ember, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

March 19, 2014 – 8:30 am to 6:00 pm

Li Ka Shing Center for Learning and Knowledge, Stanford, California

A Continuing Medical Education Conference Presented by the Department of Medicine and Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine and Stanford Hospital & Clinics

http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/documents/ChronicFatigueSyndromeCME2014-FORMS-r3a.pdf

2. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    It seems that the first learning objective "...using Fukuda." is at odds with the other 2 objectives.

On the other hand YAY for Stanford !!! I'll take what I can get.

3. Ember

Ember Senior Member

It's even at odds with itself, given that Fukuda is a CFS definition. But take a look too at the program and faculty:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    NK17, taniaaust1, bigmama2 and 2 others like this.
  4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Could any of the talks above lead to conclusions of the existence/importance of PEM?

I'm too tired atm, to be able to process the above.:sleep:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    To read the agenda it sort of looks like its going to be all over the place from a physiological stand point. It doesn't seem to big on psychological issues unless you sort of tweak some of those topics. The one about subcortical pathology in ME/CFS should be interesting. Lipkin and Montoya have the whole last 1 and a half hours of the meeting with 2 very interesting topics.

I hope they stick something in Unger's ###.

The faculty that is noted is just full of phycology people!!!!

taniaaust1 likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I only see one psychiatrist. and maybe with the number of those doing research in biomarkers will present importance persuasive evidence of biomedical research. Hopefully!!!

I don't get the remark about Unger. If you don't want to actually write it just cite a source. I'll try that myself.
    Thanks.

aimossy likes this.
  7. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I am very impressed. Almost all of these are Stanford names that I haven't heard before doing biomed presentations, presumably mostly about their own research.

Good to see David Tuller on the agenda. The moderator of his lunch panel is the Executive Director of the Center for Investigative Reporting, a NorCal based non-profit. They look substantial and good. Hopefully they are looking into the dark corners of the whole ME saga that mainstream media hasn't wanted to so far, at the urging of David Tuller, I assume. This could be one of the big breaks we need! Fingers crossed!
    http://cironline.org/about-cir

The only gross part is Beth Unger is speaking; eww! Really, Dr. Montoya? you had me very impressed up until that point! (well, other than the whole "chronic fatigue" thing, and the 'learning to diagnose with Fukuda' thing)

beaker, taniaaust1 and Iquitos like this.
  8. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    You'll try that yourself?? Good luck, I think we'll all be rooting you on; I know I will!

What type of source do you need to be cited? I don't think there is much academic literature on this topic.

Iquitos likes this.
  9. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    The only thing about Unger being there is that she cannot claim ignorance of what real experts know and as the head of the "Viral" branch, she supposedly would/should inform the rest of her people of the biomedical facts. Meaning, no more psychosocial B.S. from CDC.

Yeah, fingers crossed on that one, too.

August59, NK17 and justinreilly like this.
  10. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

is it only me, or does this seminar seem like another colossal waste of time? like mice spinning their wheels while we die.

sorry..bad day here lol

11. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Hmmm maybe the IOM pannel should be there.:bang-head:

taniaaust1 likes this.
  12. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    What a mixed bunch. I had to laugh when I saw that mix.

I personally think by this point Unger cant be naive as Im sure the patient group would of educated her well before now. I think her role comes down to playing this illness down as she's part of the CDC (part of whatever conspiratory is going on out there).

Nielk, justinreilly and Iquitos like this.
  13. 5150

5150 Senior Member

I sent a copy of the program to my doctor at the V A Hospital in Palo Alto , where Stanford symposium is being held(in Palo Alto that is). Said I hoped she would attend,that there is much info available from a good group of foremost people. Also emphasized that the V A ought to leading , not following civilians, due to the probability that Gulf War Illness is most likely related to the former CFS and current ME disease. Also pointed out that Dr Montoya from the Stanford Division of Infectious Illness was presenting and it's his home turf. Also pointed out that "infectious illness" infers that something is likely contagious, which I have long held to be true.

And that hopefully she will be able to attend to learn "Why" ME should be included in treatment as a bonafide , life altering disease, and should not be thought of as Experimental Medicine as is its' current status at the Veterans Administration. We shall see, we shall see where this leads.

NK17, Nielk, Timaca and 4 others like this.
  14. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    150-200 attendees expected

15. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Daffodil,

Sorry that you are having a bad day, but I am glad you voiced your concerns.

It would be naive on the part of the ME/CFS patient population to not understand that the Stanford conference (and the conference following immediate after it sponsored by the IACFSME) is not being used just for educational purposes, but is probably part of a larger strategic fundraising plan for the organization. The target audience for this fundraising push is probably directed more toward the big fish rather than the little individual fish in our patient community.

Maybe something positive will come out of both of these conferences, but it is wise to be cautious in getting our hopes up that a conference will be the turning point for this illness. Patients must remain vigilant and not think someone else is going to carry this fight for them or be their watchdog. We must remain in the fight for our lives and not turn our power over to others just because we are so desperate to end our own misery.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    NK17, Nielk and Iquitos like this.
  16. apogan

apogan

@Ember

Do you know if there will be transcripts from this meeting that we could share with our own primary care physicians? My doc is still very uneducated about ME. I'd like to share this with her, especially if it can help her advise other patients in her practice.

Thanks.

17. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

I think it is important for physicians and other health care providers to attend this event. So, if you live in the Bay area, or even California, let your health care providers know about this event! It will be a way for them to meet the presenters in a more intimate setting.

Apogan~ It looks like there may be a video of the event available after the meeting. See the link on the Stanford website: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/ Scroll down to first item under Recent News.

Best,

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  18. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I see where Dr. Unger is suppose to be there. I hope she gets plenty of information and I also wish she would get the message as to how important the "exercise/cycling test" needs to be performed over 2 days to see the definitive impact that is to be observed!!!! Also, that it is not just a stress test, but an actual volumetric oxygen uptake test as well!!

See more popular forum discussions.