Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

2012 Dr. Julia Newton research/treatment

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by charlie1, Sep 23, 2014.

1. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    This PR article was posted in July 2012. http://phoenixrising.me/archives/12569

In this article Dr. Julia Newton reported she had some ‘very exciting’ pilot data which suggests she can reverse the acid accumulations using various medications (which weren't stated).
    Does anyone following her research know if there have been any advances made since that article was written?

L'engle likes this.
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    There's a more recent article on PR, here: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/17009
    in which this gets a small mention again. Search for "muscle biopsy work"

L'engle and charlie1 like this.
  3. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks snowathlete! What a great article....very interesting!

The 2 points I am most intrigued by are:

1) Dr. Newton's comment " We are confident that the acid accumulation is reversible but the Action for ME funding is now directed at a 50% PhD student who is going to start looking at other drugs in this muscle system so that we can begin to tease out where the abnormality might lie and whether it is amenable to currently available drugs.

2) In the comments section, I agree with Simon's questioning/arguing that PEM in different than the fatigue that is experienced in other illnesses. (ie, cognitive impairment, dizziness etc post mental tasks). Having answers for this particular issue/symptom would be wonderful. PEM is my biggest complaint with this illness.

L'engle and snowathlete like this.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Yes it sounds like her team are still exploring this, quite enticing really - can't wait to hear which drug(s) are being looked at.

charlie1 likes this.
  5. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    Me too! Treatment for my low blood pressure and PEM can't come fast enough!

snowathlete likes this.
  6. tandrsc

tandrsc

UK
    charlie1 likes this.
  7. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks tandrsc! I look forward to viewing the links.

8. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I think that people need to see what it is actually like to be treated by Newton, which has shocked me. See here.

9. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    @MeSci - Wow, yes, that was surprising! Thanks for tagging me.
    I never planned on seeing her but thought her research sounded promising. The search for a way to alleviate PEM continues.... :)

See more popular forum discussions.