• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2012 Dr. Julia Newton research/treatment

charlie1

This PR article was posted in July 2012. http://phoenixrising.me/archives/12569

In this article Dr. Julia Newton reported she had some ‘very exciting’ pilot data which suggests she can reverse the acid accumulations using various medications (which weren't stated).
Does anyone following her research know if there have been any advances made since that article was written?

snowathlete

This PR article was posted in July 2012. http://phoenixrising.me/archives/12569

In this article Dr. Julia Newton reported she had some ‘very exciting’ pilot data which suggests she can reverse the acid accumulations using various medications (which weren't stated).
Does anyone following her research know if there have been any advances made since that article was written?
There's a more recent article on PR, here: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/17009
in which this gets a small mention again. Search for "muscle biopsy work"

charlie1

Thanks snowathlete! What a great article....very interesting!

The 2 points I am most intrigued by are:

1) Dr. Newton's comment " We are confident that the acid accumulation is reversible but the Action for ME funding is now directed at a 50% PhD student who is going to start looking at other drugs in this muscle system so that we can begin to tease out where the abnormality might lie and whether it is amenable to currently available drugs.

2) In the comments section, I agree with Simon's questioning/arguing that PEM in different than the fatigue that is experienced in other illnesses. (ie, cognitive impairment, dizziness etc post mental tasks). Having answers for this particular issue/symptom would be wonderful. PEM is my biggest complaint with this illness.

snowathlete

Yes it sounds like her team are still exploring this, quite enticing really - can't wait to hear which drug(s) are being looked at.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Thanks snowathlete! What a great article....very interesting!

The 2 points I am most intrigued by are:

1) Dr. Newton's comment " We are confident that the acid accumulation is reversible but the Action for ME funding is now directed at a 50% PhD student who is going to start looking at other drugs in this muscle system so that we can begin to tease out where the abnormality might lie and whether it is amenable to currently available drugs.

2) In the comments section, I agree with Simon's questioning/arguing that PEM in different than the fatigue that is experienced in other illnesses. (ie, cognitive impairment, dizziness etc post mental tasks). Having answers for this particular issue/symptom would be wonderful. PEM is my biggest complaint with this illness.

I think that people need to see what it is actually like to be treated by Newton, which has shocked me. See here.

charlie1

@MeSci - Wow, yes, that was surprising! Thanks for tagging me.
I never planned on seeing her but thought her research sounded promising. The search for a way to alleviate PEM continues.... :)