1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(2008) Family illnesses among people with ME/CFS: Blood versus non-blood relatives

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Thanks for posting this.

I have to confess I found the article by Carruthers rather more fascinating.

Not an easy read and rather philosophical but he makes several interesting points in :

Dismissing the default notion of applying a psychological label to an illness when the underlying cause has yet to be determined (obviously);

Considers ME/CFS from a systems/cybernetics perspective as an individual, dynamic response whereby the body's systems strive to maintain 'self' when faced with dysregulation;

With the effect that any attempts at understanding the illness from a static reductionist perpective (which is what even the single pathogen, single pathology, single symptom studies must do to conform to the scientific method) must ignore the individuality and dynamics of the whole illness process and may unintentionally delay or divert finding an answer.

Much better for clinicians and patients to explore how the illness as a whole develops over time as a means to identify the likely processes involved and those most likely to yield results. Or to put it another way, you don't need to be able to name the pathogen before assuming that there is underlying pathology and exploring the exact nature of that pathology.

I'm pretty sure I haven't done the article justice.

Well worth a read.

PS - I've also now signed up for the Invest in ME e-news letter. Much more informative that the MEA publication.
  3. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Thank you for posting this, it looks great. I have saved it and will read it when I am having clearer days

glen

See more popular forum discussions.