August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

2008 - Evidence of inflammatory immune signaling in CFS: gene expression in peripheral blood

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Open access.

This isn't new but I can't find a dedicated discussion about it on the forum, so I thought I'd post it. It's a paper from 2008 that explores abnormalities in gene expression in immune cells including B cells. (Note that it uses the empirical definition - so it may be a heterogeneous cohort of people who experience fatigue.)

I've only just come across it so I haven't yet read the full paper, but the abstract is eye-catching, especially the conclusion.

Evidence of inflammatory immune signaling in chronic fatigue syndrome: A pilot study of gene expression in peripheral blood.
    Aspler AL, Bolshin C, Vernon SD, Broderick G.
    2008 Sep 26.
    Behav Brain Funct. 4:44.
    doi: 10.1186/1744-9081-4-44.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18822143

Full paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569951/
    http://www.behavioralandbrainfunctions.com/content/4/1/44

aimossy and Valentijn like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    @Jonathan Edwards, perhaps you might be interested in this paper, if you haven't already seen it? It also includes a range of interesting references relating to research of immune-cells in ME patients.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Thanks Bob,
    I am not overimpressed by what is in the abstract but will try to look at the full paper. A difficulty with looking at gene expression in circulating B cells is that you are grouping together cells at very different stages of maturation and differentiation. A slight shift in trafficking will alter proportions of cells with quite different activities.

Simon, MeSci, alex3619 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Fair point - if you're comparing one individual to another but with sample sizes of approx 70 'fatigue patients' and 35 controls - wouldn't the 'slight shift in trafficking' even out? (just a technical question - I'm not convinced there's anything meaningful here).

5. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

There is a fundamental problem here because this cohort was put together using the Reeves "empirical" definition. It could well be dominated by patients with major depressive disorders.

I do think there is evidence of inflammatory processes both in many cases of depression and in ME/CFS. What would be very interesting would be to test for levels of PEPITEM or active genes producing it, to see if there was a defect in the signalling to limit recruitment of cytotoxic T-cells to endothelial tissues. Inflammation in capillaries by such a runaway process would be essentially invisible in ordinary clinical examination.

Unfortunately, this research didn't take place at a time when PEPITEM signalling was known.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I agree that if the statistics are good there would still seem to be a difference of some sort. My worry is that it is interpreted as a difference in function of a cell type when it may simply be a shift in trafficking. Both might be interesting but the interpretation in terms of an inflammatory process or whatever might be premature. When we study B cells we essentially do not bother to look at the whole CD19 population because it is too heterogeneous and any changes are impossible to interpret. I tend to worry when people talk of shifts in gene expression without breaking it down into specific cell types.

Battery Muncher and Marco like this.

See more popular forum discussions.