1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(2001) Effect of Dr-recommended treatment on mental health practitioners' attributns

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This isn't new but I thought it was interesting. I've often heard it said that CBT shouldn't have negative connotations and patients shouldn't make that point but that's not the way professionals think!

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2001-00865-005&CFID=6958449

2. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    This would be a good article to have in the library, and a good article to show doctors as ammunition against CBT/Graded exercise.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I've read the full paper now.
    What I've found with at least some Lenny Jason papers is that he doesn't tend to mention values where the p-value is over 0.05. I think this can be unfortunate.

There were two values where there were trends (i.e. didn't quite meet the p<0.05 threshold):

Likelihood that it will improve in the next two years: p=.07.
    The group who had been shown a case study with CBT were more likely to believe this compared to the Ampligen group and the Cognitive coping groups. (pacing/energy management-type).

---
    Factors responsible for the illness: p=.06

The percentages were:
    Medical: 76.5% (Ampligen); 52.4% (CBT); 80.3*% (Cognitive coping)
    Psychiatric: 23.5% (Ampligen); 47.6% (CBT); 16.7*% (Cognitive coping)
    (these two numbers don't match up - I'm guessing one is 3% out)

SOC likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for pointing this out/your thoughts. I think I may have half read this myself some time ago (maybe just the abstract?), and then jumbled up what it actually said. Bookmarked for more thorough reading later (do you think it's worth reading? If not, I might skip).

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It is a piece that is relatively easy to understand compared to some more biological pieces (for those of us who didn't do biological science degrees), so that's a plus. Not too much focus on statistical calculations which might frustrate some. It's a sympathetic piece. And it talks about the problems about stigma for people with chronic fatigue syndrome. And references other papers from the 1990s that wouldn't get mentioned much now. So it might be something that might be of use to you or somebody interested in that angle at some stage. But of course a lot of the points made could probably have been guessed anyway. So depends if somebody wants to spend an hour or whatever reading it.

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    very interesting, thanks for posting about this

See more popular forum discussions.