1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

*2 new* letters, Myra McClue, Annette Whittemore

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by VillageLife, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
  2. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Good find.

Hopefully McClure will not be too busy, and will take up the offer. I think McClure can be trusted to do a proper replication study.

3. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    Thanks villagelife,
    very interesting. One wonders why McClure bothered to mention the minutiae of her holiday.

Hmmm! Just enough to b**** us silly, then you scarper. Did anyone say "Hit and run"??

4. garcia

London, UK
    I think McClure has just let us know that she has no interest or incentive to prove herself wrong.

5. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    yes its not very fair, Dr McClue got involved but wasn't prepared to follow it on.....

6. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I'm not sure. She may change her mind.

After all it doesn't say much about how inquiring her scientific mind is, if she stops at one, small, non replication attempt. It makes her look used. (by Wessely)

7. garcia

London, UK
    Well it makes a complete mockery of McClure's claim that she was doing it for the patients all along. Her actions now show that she doesn't give a hoot about the UK patients, whom she has well and truly left in the lurch.

8. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I agree, she came off as rude, dismissive etc. However, would it not be fantastic, if the very person Wessely hired to put a stop to XMRV, ended up contradicting him.

I just think Wessely brain washed her about ME.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Unbelieveable isnt it!

She's saying she doesnt want to play anymore - just after she stuck a knife in to puncture the f-ing ball .

10. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Great comment, and very true.

11. garcia

London, UK
    V, it would be fantastic. But I think we have to be realistic. It's not going to happen.

It would take a lot for McClure to backtrack. She would lose too much face. The only way she would do that would be if she had a big personal stake in the outcome (e.g. a daughter with ME). Like most of the researchers here, she has zero stake. Just another day at the office.

12. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I know, I'm too positive. Although, Annette Whittemore must think it's worth a go.

13. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

It sounds to me like McClure wants nothing to do with this and hopes it just goes away....

14. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Will she reply to the second letter?

15. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

I really don't want any "help" from McClure, for three basic reasons:

(1) she is obviously capable of blinding arrogance,

(2) she is obviously capable of being very unprofessional (see her press comments, especially to the BBC),

(3) she is obviously capable of crappy science.

16. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    LP comes in handy when you're in a fix

Did he achieve this mind manipulation all on his own, or, outsource the project to Phil faster-than-*hit-off-a-shovel Parker? :innocent1:

17. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Dr Yes, I see what you mean.

Adam :tear::tear:

18. awol

awol *****

I hope they do both figure out that it is best to cooperate. It would do wonders for changing the negative, antagonistic tone of this whole saga.

19. Lesley

Lesley Senior Member

Southeastern US
    The original letter from Annette Whittemore to Dr. McClure is here: http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/DearDrMcClureaw4.pdf

It made it clear that WPI has cooperated in the past and was willing to do so in the future. That hasn't been reciprocated.

20. fred

fred The game is afoot

The date sequence and content of these letters confused me until I realised that there must be additional correspondence which has not been published.

Annette Whittemore wrote to Prof McClure on 12 April and this letter was published.

McClure's reply is not dated but says "When your email of the 23rd April arrived...." and "I was appalled and saddened to read of your daughters medical history".

This implies that Annette Whittemore sent a subsequent email to McClure on 23 April, possibly a more personal one, appealing to the Prof as a mother perhaps (do we know if McClure has children?).

Annette's second letter to McClure, dated 27 April, says "I appreciate once again your timely reply", which implies that she has received more than one reply from McClure.

Perhaps McClure replied more formally to Annette's initial letter dated 12 April and Annette's email of 23 April was in response to this but neither have been published.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the Freedom of Information request that has been submitted to Imperial College London regarding this correspondence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

See more popular forum discussions.