1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

1st International Workshop on XMRV

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by joyscobby, Apr 30, 2010.

1. joyscobby

joyscobby Senior Member

2222 22 222c

xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

2. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    yipeeee :D:victory::victory::victory::victory:

3. girlinthesnow

girlinthesnow Senior Member

Thank you for posting this Joy, really good news.

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Good to see a person from the virology department of the university of Rotterdam is in the committee.

Would be a good development if that lab would get engaged in XMRV research in th Netherlands.

5. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Silverman and Coffin joy you are wonderful!!!

6. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

This workshop will be co-sponsored by the NIH and will be organized by Virology Edu

"This workshop will be co-sponsored by the NIH and will be organized by Virology Education. "

That is good news, indeed! Surely they can't sweep this under the rug with Coffin and Silverman involved. I just hope it is not only about XMRV in prostate cancer.

What ever happened to that study of those who apparently got CFIDS after a blood transfusion?

7. wideawake

wideawake

Thank you for posting this Joy. It has cheered me up no end!

8. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    I feel so H A P P Y right now I think I might go out and adopt an orphaned Haggis...

and call it Joy.

:innocent1:

You the man.

9. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    I'm happy to see some Dutch there, it will be great for the Netherlands if there will be somebody who really takes XMRV seriously!

10. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

Not sure...I had emailed my info to the WPI and Judy a while ago and never heard from anybody. When I was with Klimas last month she wanted all my info for a post-transfusion study but who knows if they are using my info or if it is really happening or what.

I, for one, would liek to know if I got XMRV from a transfusion. I have yet to be tested, but I did get sick immediately following several transfusions so who knows.

11. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    whee!!! rockin :)

12. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    ???

What's everyone so excited about? I'm sure that only reason the NIH is sponsoring this is so that Coffin and Silvernman will have a forum to apologize to the authors of the three negative EU studies and to Bill Reeves. Apparently the NIH is planning on an annual public flogging (not really sure why Coffin needs to apologize but Silverman, what a whack job - :eek:).

XMRV is NOT going away!

13. Robin

Robin Guest

Huh? I'm totally lost. Where is this coming from?

14. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Hi Robin,

Sorry, I thought that the sarcasm dripping off of every word would be obvious. I just don't get the rush to discredit the Science paper. Question it - absolutely; proceed cautiously - I insist, but there seemed to be a measure of rejoicing, or perhaps it was relief by some - not necessarily all - of the early authors at the negative findings and those early papers were so incredibly rushed.

An Annual(?) conference sponsored by the NIH with Silverman and Coffin at the helm. A year ago, suggesting that such a conference would take place would have gotten you committed (or sectioned for our UK friends) as having erroneous illness beliefs.

15. Kati

Kati Patient in training

LOL CBS love your dripping sarcasm!

16. V99

V99 *****

UK
    CFIDS Association have this on their facebook page.

17. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    LOL!!!!

thats good news.

Well September is along way off! but must keep remembering ive been ill over a decade!

18. hvs

hvs Senior Member

I believe in medical science parlance these are called the "big gunz."

19. fred

fred The game is afoot

"What's everyone so excited about?"

Quite.

Stoye was a co-author of the second UK paper that didn't detect XMRV in ME. The WPI letter to Myra McClure states that the WPI found XMRV in Stoye's (i.e. Kerr's) samples. Nothwithstanding that the letter highlighting this anomoly was addressed to Prof McClure, he will be aware of his public 'outing' and has not made a public reply. What will his stance be as a member of this committee? That XMRV does or does not exist in ME or that he just doesn't know right now?

And why is Silverman sharing a platform with a man who refuses to use the methods outlined in the Science paper which the former co-authored? Old boys' network, anyone?

The fact that the NIH is sponsoring this makes me nervous. The CFSAC seems to be fighting for its life/its mandate, makes limited reference to XMRV on its 10 May agenda, and yet its 'holding company' is sponsoring a workshop on the virus?

Vernon is a session chair. Well, let's not reinvent a 1,000 post discussion thread here.

Who is Virology Education **, other than being a Dutch based medical education company? And who is Charles Boucher?

And why is Judy Mikovits not on this committee? She is the person who isolated XMRV in blood, found it in ME, and was the lead researcher of the Science paper. Doesn't she even get a 'session chair'?

Prove me cynical, but this smacks of highjacking to me.

** EDIT: Virology Education is a company that organises medical conferences and publishes a journal called "Reviews in Antiviral Therapy".

[Quote starts]

Since 2006, Reviews in Antiviral Therapy has been providing clinicians and researchers with conference reports and complete abstract books from leading international workshops on the clinical management of viral disease and related topics.

Reviews in Antiviral Therapy provides researchers and clinicians with a comprehensive overview of new data presented at international abstract-driven workshops on HIV, Hepatitis, Co-infection and Tuberculosis.

This journal is an important and valuable asset for those who wish to stay abreast with the many developments in these rapidly expanding fields but lack the time to attend all topic-related conferences.

The editors of the journal are:
    Jonathan M. Schapiro, MD, & Charles A.B. Boucher, MD, PHD

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Journal/vid/0945949C-17A4-A597-D96B70739F0F4525

20. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Fred,

I can appreciate your wariness. I just want to make clear that it wasn't my intent to imply that I don't trust Coffin or Silverman, I do. As for Kerr, he's done too much for CFS for me to question his motives at this point. For myself, the jury is still out on many of the other EU co-authors.

What I found galling was that some authors of the EU studies claimed that they were rushing these to publication for my good. For a select few, the rush seemed to be more about shielding themselves from the truth of the horror that they have spent the last two decades perpetuating and upon which they had built their careers.

See more popular forum discussions.