1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

1st International Workshop on XMRV 7-8 September 2010

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Sam Carter, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

2. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

3. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Scientific Committee

Norbert Bannert
    Koch Institute, Germany

Bill Dahut
    National Cancer Institute, USA

Rika Furuta
    Japanese Red Cross Osaka Blood Center, Japan

Stephen Goff
    Columbia University, USA

Walid Heneine
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA

Jerry Holmberg
    US Dept HHS, Advisory Committee on Blood Safety, USA

Myra McClure
    Imperial College London, UK

Judy Mikovits
    Whittemore Peterson Institute, USA

Ila Singh
    University of Utah, USA

Susan Vernon
    CFIDS Association of America, USA
  4. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Organizing Committee

Organizing Committee

Charles Boucher
    Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Netherlands

John Coffin
    Tufts University, USA

Stuart Le Grice
    National Cancer Institute, USA

Robert Silverman
    Cleveland Clinic, USA

Jonathan Stoye
    National Institute for Medical Research, United Kingdom
  5. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Invited Speakers

We proudly present the following list of confirmed speakers for the 1st International Workshop on XMRV:

Host restriction factors
    Dr. Kate Bishop, NIMR London, UK

Viral integration
    Dr. Sam Chow, UCLA, California, USA

Basic Virology
    Dr. John Coffin, NCI Frederick, USA

Prostate Cancer
    (keynote lecture) Dr. Eric Klein, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, USA

Animal Models
    Dr. Robert Silverman, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, USA

Pathogenesis
    Dr. Ila Singh, University of Utah, USA

Assay development
    Dr. William Switzer, CDC Atlanta, USA
    (emphasis added)

Chronic Fatique Syndrome ("Fatique" - their typo, not mine.)
    Speaker soon to be confirmed

Vaccine Development
    Speaker soon to be confirmed
  6. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

It looks like registration is not open to the public, only academia, pharma and NIH employees. Presentation material will be posted after the meeting, if the presenter agrees. Otherwise, no recordings, etc.

Edit - the above is based on the website; I have no other info on the conference
  7. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

I saw that, Jennie. I really hope all the presentations are recorded and made available on the web. What we need just now is absolute transparency.
  8. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Better still would be live-streaming of the event. This should be easy to arrange for the workshop organisers.

ME/CFS patients have waited long enough for biomedical scientists to take an interest in their disease. It is important that they get the chance to observe events as they happen.
  9. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

No Alter? He lives there, doesn't he?
  10. redo

redo Senior Member

Hmmm. Why speak about assay development (development of tests to detect XMRV) if one doesn't believe that XMRV is a problem?

Like many can see, the person speaking about assay development is the same as the one who was responsible for the CDC study which came out pretty blank.
  11. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    you forgot to bold his colleague and co-author of the negative XMRV paper, also a member of the Scientific Committee for this workshop:

Walid Heneine
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
  12. Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

USA
    Walid Heneine

ATLANTA, GA US

1. 20100160420 NOVEL SIMIAN T-CELL LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS - Disclosed are the simian T-cell lymphotropic virus type 3 subtype D isolated nucleic acid molecules encoding 06-24-2010
    2. 20080292657 PRIMATE T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUSES - Disclosed are compositions and methods related to the isolation and identification of the primate T-lymphotropic 11-27-2008
    3. 20080213756 Real-Time Pcr Point Mutation Assays For Detecting Hiv - 1 Resistance to Antiviral Drugs 09-04-2008

Looks like Wahlid has been a busy boy applying for these patents - why can't he find XMRV like other scientists??!!
  13. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    as a news person, I think it would be very interesting if most of those attending got a thirty-minute flu during Bill's time and had to stay in their hotel rooms.

Tina
  14. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    Would love to be a fly on the wall at that committee meeting!! Lets hope they are a bit closer to resolution by then!

Yes, this one is very interesting..... I think it was CBS who pointed out early in the CDC paper discussion that the CDC findings are not just negative for XMRV/CFS but negative for the existence of XMRV in the population period, including for prostate cancer. Yet Myra McClure has publicly admitted that she has now found XMRV in prostate cancer. Doesn't this leave her now at odds with the CDC too?
  15. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    That's right - let's get them all together in one room and let them duke it out in person. Should be interesting...;)
  16. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    I wonder now if McClure leaked the prostate thing with more purpose in mind than it first appeared? ........this is getting curioser and curioser!
  17. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Does anyone who is XMRV positive, has CFS and lives in the United States, want to volunteer to attend this meeting ? (its a long shot) but perhaps they would agree to one sufferer attending the meeting, or even a period in the meeting where a sufferer could contribute, its always worth asking!!

I think its worth asking if you are XMRV positive, those organizing the meeting may feel it would be valuable.
  18. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    Not likely, it sounds dangerous to me, lol :D
  19. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  20. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

There was talk at the last CFSAC meeting that some or all of the members might attend this workshop, but I don't know what the status of the idea is.

See more popular forum discussions.