1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

*15th July* Dr Lucinda Bateman & Vincent Racaniello - Webinar!

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Tina or George,

Do you know if Coffin was talking about a preventive (prophylactic) vaccine, or a treatment (therapeutic) vaccine, or maybe both?

Thanks
  2. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Clearly there is some frustration with the overall content presented. I too was hoping for more. That said, I would suggest that since the Alter presentation went global in a matter of hours and created a huge furor that much more is known than can be divulged.

My $0.02
  3. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    MaryAnne,

He was speaking about a preventive vaccine.

Otis
  4. paddygirl

paddygirl Senior Member

Fables

After the webinar something kept nagging at me. For those who didn't hear it, Dr Bateman was cut off at the end for tech problems. She said something along the lines of "this is really important, better be the tortoise than the hare" or some version of that.

Later in the evening it hit me. she had reminded me of Dr Alter's words. I cannot for the life of me remember them as I never write anything down but the gist of it was that slow and steady was best, (the tortoise).
    This was after he was asked for extra tests when the CDC got to publish (the hare).

I think Dr Bateman was in a bind, she has her obligations to scientific protocol, but knows full well the urgency and desperation we all feel. I think she was sending a message, hang on, it's coming and it's going our way.
  5. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Hi Paddygirl, Dr. Alter said: "Our goal is not speed, but scientific accuracy". I feel the same way about her sending a message but i don't want to jump to a conclusion before we see the paper.
  6. MaryAnn

MaryAnn

Thanks for the reply Otis even though I was hoping that there would be a therapeutic vaccine like the ones being developed successfully for some cancers (experimental stage still).
  7. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Dr. Bateman's answers

If you watched the webinar, you know that Dr. Bateman was unable to answer questions at the end due to technical problems. The Association has published her written answers to questions on their Facebook page this morning, and I've copied it in full below:

See more popular forum discussions.