1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

*15th July* Dr Lucinda Bateman & Vincent Racaniello - Webinar!

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    Bummer. Mabye she'll do it via email?
  2. Karin

Karin

Thanks for the correction, Forbin, my notes might have been wrong.
  3. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Wow, this sounds interesting. I'm waiting for the video and the additional answers by Dr. Bateman. I hope there will be published facts out soon that confirm the positive expectations. Until then i will just lean back and wait..

I think in our case, even if it's not so simple to treat, there's such a huge number of people with CFS that things will go as fast as possible, once the basic facts are established. Once the necessary resources are put into something, everything is possible, i believe.
  4. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    that is a nice post Eric_S. :)
    thanks
  5. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Slides and recording

The slides and recording of today's webinar are now available on the CFIDS Association website: http://www.cfids.org/webinar/series2010-past.asp#10

The recording is a Windows media file. The office is working on converting the file to upload to the Association's YouTube channel.
  6. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Awwww.....George.... Frickly loves George....here George..... :)

7. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    This reminds me of what Coffin said in the October CFSAC meeting, easy for vaccine, hard to treat.

Tina
  8. jimbob

jimbob ME/CFS84-XMRV+

myrtle beach, s.c.
    This webinar was total bovine secretion! Vernon trying to keep xmrv off topic, what a ****. Laughing and joking around, with what's at stake here, totally unacceptable! the mute on bateman, please! I hope their not paving our future with this piece of garbage, because we'll all be screwed! Sorry, but it's been too long since the science pub, not to be further along then this!

9. Ugh, that appauling G2M3 codec - lucky I was a geek in a former life or I'd have no hope of viewing this.

I can understand why it is in that format from the webinar, but why don't you have a link to the codec for people who aren't geeky enough to figure it out themselves? By default on Windows XP it only plays audio - maybe it is fine if you have a Vista or Win7 PC but I'm certianly not rich enough to update PCs constantly.
  10. thegodofpleasure

thegodofpleasure Player in a Greek Tragedy

Matlock, Derbyshire, Uk
    You got it about right Garcia - prophetic but disappointing.

TGOP
  11. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

I can't install the codec, it says "The installer could not locate a suitable folder to install into". I've tried on two different PCs (Windows XP, both) and get the same error. I'm logged in as an administrator. Without the codec the clip won't play, i don't even get audio.

I really want to hear Dr. Bateman's statements on XMRV and especially on the current research. Can somebody help me? I can't find a solution to this anywhere on the internet.
    If you could tell me how to install this or create a file with another codec that would be great.

Thanks a lot
  12. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

13. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I too am seriously disappointed that we're not further along in this after 9 months of the initial announcement. We were all so hopeful last fall that we'd have some definitive answers by summer and here we are still at basically square 1. It becomes harder and harder to hang in there. I largely blame Wesseley and Reeves for their efforts to undermine and thwart the research thus sidetracking the forward movement.
  14. bakercape

bakercape Senior Member

Cape Cod. Mass
    I really

feel that the CAA is downplaying the importance of XMRV and it's making me mad. It Seems like we may have a virus that causes CFS or many cases of CFS. Yet they are not having any of the big players in it talk at their webinar about XMRV.
    Also I would think they would be trying to raise money and attempting to find a way to help get a true replication study done. We are 9 months down the road and no replication study! WTF
    I know it's good not to put all your eggs in one basket but the potential of XMRV is enormous for us all and if they will support blood flow studies I should think they would make XMRV studies a top priority and ask people to donate money immediately for a honest replication study.
    When the CDC/HHS stopped the publication af the Alter paper why did the CAA not issue a c-act alert and have people writing letters like they do for other smaller issues? Where's the advocacy on XMRV from the CAA with regards to XMRV.
    I know dr. Vernon wrote a good piece on the failures of the CDC study but who really reads that but us.
  15. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think we know too little about XMRV to know how this will turn out. It could be that its replicating like mad elsewhere in the body; ie it could be like HIV. HTLV causes disease, I think by turning on the genes it sits next to in the cell. Thus far they haven't found that that's happening with XMRV.
  16. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Well done George on that review of Dr. Ruscetti's talk! I would guess the NK and T Cell burnout that Dr. Klimas has found probably reflects the immune system shooting bullets that fail to hit the target again and again.
  17. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

18. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Here's my one addition: Dr. Bateman spoke about all the different possible definitions and cohorts for CFS and then she said--that the key symptom in her view is post-exertional malaise/fatigue
  19. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

A link to codec is now on the page for the webinar recording: http://cfids.org/webinar/series2010-past.asp#10

Thanks, Ash, for bringing that to our attention. The conversion to YouTube format is in process, and the video will be up on the Association's YouTube channel next week.
  20. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Dr. Mikovits said in her recent interview that she knows of 2 replication studies that are being done. So i think we don't have to worry too much about that. Probably the CAA is also aware of this.
    I think they are doing a good job. In case of the Dr. Alter study they contacted him or his office and got the reply that they posted on their facebook pages. They probably know a bit more than us but can't share it all. There seems to be a lot in the pipeline, we are just nervous because we don't know about everything that's being done and we don't know the results yet. Once the Alter study and the Bateman/Singh/Light study is out we might know a lot more. I like what Dr. Bateman said about her study, that we will certainly hear about it and that it will provide new information. Also that silence is good news and that her team has been silent since march.
    I will not take anything as fact until it's published but i think before those 2 studies are out and negative, there's no reason to be too worried or too aggressive.

See more popular forum discussions.