• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

15-Minute Test For Autism - Possible Implications

Wayne

15-Minute Test For Autism - Possible Implications for ME/CFS ?

Hi All,

I just saw this on the news tonight and thought I'd pass it along. At first glance, I would think it could be applicable to those with ME/CFS. The link below will take you to a 2 1/2 minute video clip.

Regards, Wayne

Aug 10, 2010

British scientists have revealed details of a new test which could diagnose autism in children in just 15 minutes. The new technique uses a form of brain scan and in trials on adults has already proved to be 90% accurate. Kitty Logan reports.

The 15-Minute Test For Autism

Wayne

What brain abnormalities is the test picking it up? The BBC article at least didn't specify.

Apparently the abnormalities are so tiny that it takes a computer to detect them. I also don't recall just what exactly these abnormalities are.

This reminds me of the SPECT scans that were being done on CFS patients way back in the 80's. I believe they were picking up some tell-tale signs of CFS (some kind white spots if I remember correctly). I always wondered why this didn't become a standard diagnostic procedure for those with PWCs. I'm thinking that with this new test for autism, it may pave the way for looking for brain abnormalities in CFS patients.

Wayne

coxy

speech and language, behavioural problems and one other which i've forgotten