Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

12 Things you should never say to the sick

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by PatJ, Oct 6, 2015.

1. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    12 Things you should never say to the sick is an article with a familiar list of things that people with a chronic illness often hear. The article itself covers familiar territory but a couple of comments stood out and are the reason for my post. I think they offer useful and constructive points.

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the following is referring to invisible health conditions.

[​IMG]

3. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Mental health conditions specifically, but it's definitely a good message for all invisible illnesses :D

alkt and barbc56 like this.
  4. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

The big problem is that people never listen to / believe the explanation (or they thwart it or invalidate it) and reiterate the same advice.

Edit:
    I really don't see the problem with saying this, as long as I know the person saying it acknowledges that I am ill.

Edit 2: Some people do believe explanations, of course, it's just I remember the annoying people better. :p

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    alkt and barbc56 like this.
  5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    @PatJ, you might like other things that Toni Bernhard, the author of the above article, has written. She has published several books and writes regularly for Psychology Today. I've read "How to Be Sick" and can't recall if I've read her other other two books. See http://www.tonibernhard.com

I might have found this here on PR or somewhere else, I can't recall now: chronic illness.jpg

6. SOC

SOC

That BINGO board belongs on the refrigerator of every PWME who has know-it-all guests (I'm fortunate not to). I could see myself hopping up in the middle of one of those I'm-going-to-fix-you conversations. "Excuse me, I have to mark that one off on my card. I almost have a BINGO!"

Maybe on the coffee table would be better so we don't have to expend the energy getting to the kitchen. ;)

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    :):balloons::D

barbc56 and SOC like this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

:lol:
    That's hysterical! If I had the energy, I'd be half tempted to set up a situation where I could use it!

@CFS_for_19_years I'm definitely going to get the book. Thanks!

Barb

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  9. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Thank you for the recommendation. Her books sound interesting. I've just read a few of her blog posts. 8 Pet Peeves About Doctors has a point that some doctors really don't seem to understand:

10. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

This is somewhat related. A recent incident comes to mind and it's something you probably wouldn't see if someone has an illness that's more apparent. I think this attitude is prevalent in my generation, the baby boomers, but certainly not exclusive to my age group.

It's when others aren't supportive as they think it would be enabling your sickness behavior. Also the notion that someone needs to hit rock bottom before they're able to recover. This is utter bullshit and I believed it for a while. But I had discarded the notion decades before my illness. Unfortunately, my family sometimes buys into this.

A book I read several years ago, I can't remember the title, was about a father who was dealing with his son's drug addiction. The message he got from the people at AA, it may have been Al Anon for those dealing with family member's addiction to drugs, was that someone needed to hit rock bottom before he/she would have the capability to help themselves. Later, he finally realized that if he hadn't intervened, his son would have died.

Another way of blaming the victim. Sometimes people need help or support but it doesn't mean you are automatically enabling that person. Sometime, there's a fine line between the two.

Nothing wrong with AA as it's helped a lot of people. I'm curious if this is still promoted. Of course CBC more or less has this attitude, because you learn to not have "illness beliefs"and therefore you are not enabling yourself.

Maybe the CBC practioners need cbc that this type of thinking may be detrimental to patients.

Barb

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Valentijn and PatJ like this.

See more popular forum discussions.