Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'12 NHS Claiming MUS are medically explained & this is a 'more empowering, recovery-focused approach

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Esther12, May 11, 2014.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I saw ME Agenda linking to this and thought that it could be of interest to some here.

edit: Realised that this title could make this seem more important that it is, it's an NHS document, but just one of many. The forum's software limited the length of my title, so I had to cut bits out.

It's not really important though, and feel like I keep linking to frustrating things at the moment - sorry! Probably best to ignore, but I thought I'd store it here in case it's ever wanted as a historical document!

Best bit imo:

http://www.emotionalwellbeing.south...cle/368-case-for-change-physical-health-final

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Valentijn and August59 like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Thanks @Esther12

I haven't had a chance to read through this this but it looks interesting.
    Keep on posting! :)
    Barb

Esther12 likes this.
  3. Legendrew

Legendrew

UK
    I like the idea of them finally admitting that there are things which medicine has no answer for as of yet but I think that this would just create an even bigger umbrella term and make distinguishing different disease even more difficult! Not to mention psychologists would likely have a field day.

4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

I haven't read it all, but it is a bit rich to confidently claim that the MUPS are explainable by functional physiological processes, when the explanations are often based on unproven speculation or assumptions, and the diagnoses are made without any testing or research to confirm that these physiological processes are actually causing the patients' symptoms.

Claiming that lactate build-up in muscles is a prime example of "very well established physiological explanations of stress on the body" that causes "cramp or tiredness", as far as I remember, this has been busted or disputed in recent years. However, I suspect many within the biopsychosocial movement aren't too fussed about the truth if they think the speculation will help patients report less problems or be less of a burden on the system. On the other hand, if patients find out the explanation given to them is flawed or inaccurate, they might start questioning the competence of their health care providers.

Hyperventilation can cause "giddiness or tingling", but so can many other conditions, and dismissing these symptoms as hyperventilation could overlook the presence of problems such as autonomic dysfunction and neuropathy.

Symptom re-attribution may reduce anxiety but it generally won't make the problem go away if it is ME or CFS, and can make the problem worse if the patient erroneously believes they can start exercising their way to health.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Valentijn, Cheshire and Sean like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I think you may be a step behind Andrew (unless I've misunderstood).

This sounds like they've gone from lumping all MUS in together and psychologists having a field day, on to claiming that all MUS should be claimed to have empowering recovery-focused explanations for them... so we don't even get the honesty about medicine not having an answer!

peggy-sue and Valentijn like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

I see. It would seem that they have taken the BPS approach of redefining words to new levels.

"Explanation" now means "bullshit theory I dug out of my ass." Ergo everything is explained! :rofl:

Cheshire and Marco like this.
  7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    The "explanation" is no different to what it was before.

Long term uncontrollable stress leads to the breakdown of the feedback mechanism, turning it into a feedforward one resulting in clinical depression, as can be ascertained by the dexamethasone supressor test (or presence of anhedonia). That's not BS.

Clinical depression is physiological.

All they've done is change the words "medically unexplained" into "physiologically explained".

It's just more gaslighting, nothing has changed.

Valentijn and Cheshire like this.
  8. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Has it been proven that this is the cause behind depression? What you have described is merely a potential explanation.

Psychology has the tendency to be content with possibilities rather than facts.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  9. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    It was what I was taught by the Open University in '94.
    Second level course, "Biology: Brain and Behavior" (SD206) Science, not psychology.

It's the dexamethasone supressor test that demonstrates the physiological breakdown of the feedback.

I'd have to go rooting in the attic for my old text books to find author references.

See more popular forum discussions.