• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

10 worst toxins hidden in vitamins, supplements and health foods

Plum

Yeah I know about it. I buy GM free vitamin C or look for organic supplements. It's hard and can make things expensive. There are some good brands in the UK like Viridian and Pukka.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yeah I know about it. I buy GM free vitamin C or look for organic supplements. It's hard and can make things expensive. There are some good brands in the UK like Viridian and Pukka.

I buy Holland & Barrett Vit C and it says it's corn free - I wonder if that means it's not derived from corn? I hope so!

Plum

I don't personally trust H&B for myself. I've heard that they are rather low quality - but honestly I don't know for sure. I'd ask them where they're deriving their vit C from if it's corn free as vit C sources not from corn are expensive.

Check out iHerb if you want to learn more - just look at all the various vit C products and read peoples comments. I learnt a lot that way.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Interesting. But I've found by trial and error that if I don't take Vit C supplements for several months, I get burst blood vessels in my eyes when I sneeze. I've reliably fixed this several times by restarting Vit C supplementation (I had read that it strengthens blood vessels). So it must be doing something! And it's ascorbic acid that I've been taking.

Don't know what to make of that. But it seems to me that after all those processes there's not going to be anything much of the original corn molecules left.

i take vitamin C from GNC. :confused: i dont know if its good or not.. doubt it though
well its not only vitamin C though, also herbs supplement. the source comes from china. and ive been reading some brand recall their product cause it contain lead. no wonder :eek:

also the issue with omega oil supplement = mercury.

alex3619

Quality omega-3 oils do not contain mercury. The problem is the cheap and nasty stuff that is almost universally sold may indeed do so, as the fish/krill its derived from are in the oceans, and the oceans are contaminated with mercury from industrial runoff.

How do you spot quality omega-3? The purification process increases the concentration of active ingredients to over 60% in OK oil, and 90% in pharmaceutical grade oil. The cheap and nasty stuff hovers at around 30%.

One huge one that was missed, largely because its controversial, is folic acid. Its not a vitamin. Its a drug-like version of the vitamin, and in some populations 80% of people cannot properly convert it to folate. Simlarly cyanocobalamin is not human B12. Its bacterial B12. Humans have two types of B12, methyl and adenosyl cobalamin.

I am also not convinced that GM corn derived vitamin C is a real issue. The product is highly purified. Now if there is an analysis showing that most is not very purified, that it is contaminated with various things, that would be different.

well i read some brands adv mercury free omega product. also some claim use fish from place free from mercury. some also adv china free vit c.
dont know if thats all true or just marketing.
is the GNC supplement product good?
i was thinking of buying metafolin from solgar. also p5p, and nad but i cant decide between now foods/source naturals.
btw alex3619 i like your siggy. similiar to my thought. besides many physological issues actually could caused by some imbalance.