1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

$1 million donated to Open Medicine Institute for study

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Nielk, May 6, 2013.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

2. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    That's great news!! I apologies I hadn't seen this thread before i posted the same article and I can't seem to be able to remove it

Allyson and Ember like this.
  3. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    snowathlete and Allyson like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

South of England
  5. Yogi

Yogi

Excellent description of ME by the Reuters Press Release:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/06/omi-research-me-cfs-idUSnPNDC07760 1e0 PRN20130506

About ME/CFSME/CFS is a complex chronic disease affecting multiple body systems/organs. The disease is characterized by abnormal persistent or relapsing fatigue, post-exertional malaise/fatigue, sleep dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, muscle/joint pain and headaches. Post-exertional malaise/fatigue, which is a hallmark of the disease, describes the worsening of symptoms and incapacitating cellular-level fatigue experienced following physical or mental exertion, sometimes even brought on by walking across a room.
    The prevalence of ME/CFS is much higher than many realize, affecting children, teens and adults. There are few effective treatments and no diagnostics, it is currently diagnosed only by exclusion. In the US, the illness is more prevalent than lung cancer, leukemia and AIDS combined. (CDC and SEER Report, 5-year prevalence rates).

John Mac, Allyson, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

thanks Yogi - good succinct definition..

It is interestingtthat reading it - the symptom overlap with EDS - Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome is strikiing.

And as EDS is a connective tissue disease it is likely that ME is an CTD as well, at least for some. Makes some sense as connective tissue is all throught the body and thus could explain the multiplicity and widespread nature of symptoms in ME.

More at this link for anyone interested in the overlap.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads%2Fis-me-due-to-ehlers-danlos-syndrome-stretchy-veins.20351%2F

Lets how that funding has some good results - great news indeed.

Cheersl

Ally

7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    The Open Medicine Foundation Awarded Grant from the VMware Foundation to Accelerate Development of Patient-Centric Health Care Model

Wall Street Journal article here.

Bob, Blue and Ember like this.
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I'd like to learn more about what exactly this money will be used for and in what way it is anticipated to be of benefit to pwme. But $1m for research is $1m for research I guess :)

9. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Click on Dr. Kogelnik's presentation here and watch from 18:45 – 22:00.

Bob likes this.
  10. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks Ember. I shall do so after a snooze :thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.