Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

$1,000,000 donation to OMF!!!!!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Silencio, Jan 14, 2018.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly

UK
    Thanks Pine, this means a lot to a lot of people, myself included.

I salute your logic, live long and prosper :) [​IMG]

2. Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Board Member

Wow! Here is my comment on Reddit:

JanetDafoe

19m
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart! My husband, Ron Davis, is so excited to hear about this this morning. Linda Tannenbaum texted us the news. Ron is already, right now, sitting in his favorite chair thinking and planning how to use this wonderful donation the most strategically to speed up the research and get answers faster. This will make a huge difference. I wish I could tell our son Whitney about it, but I can't because he can't tolerate speech, or any noise or interaction. He can't speak or eat. He would be so excited and grateful. When he gets better, you can be sure we'll tell him about your generous contribution.

3. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) I cannot WAIT to hear what Dr. Davis decides to do with this!!!!

I wish you could tell Whitney too.

Crying again. Half happy, half sad.

4. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

Congrats and thank you to all who worked on this. It's a tremendous accomplishment, a huge push behind all the small donations that we've been trying to push the ball forward with. How can we adequately thank the generous donor who cared enough to listen to the plight of people who've had a very small voice?

5. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Board Member

Ron says: "Thank you to all the people who made this possible! I have a number of ideas for how we can use this to speed up the research and I am going to talk to the team on Tuesday to strategize and get everybody's ideas before we announce anything. I'm very excited! Funding is the major thing that limits our progress and this donation will be a tremendous help. We have a lot of ideas and we need to prioritize them. It's great to be able to think about what we can do next knowing that we will be able to do it."

7. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    It is hard to take this in! A million thanks to everyone involved. It is strange--we are so used to not having hope on the horizon that when something fantastic like this actually comes through, it is hard to find a place in our heads to place it! Right now I'm pumping light into the dim area of my brain that had been reserved for hope. :thumbsup::balloons::trophy::beer::)

8. KristenSF

KristenSF

San Francisco, CA USA
    This is just how I feel @Sushi. I've been struggling lately to maintain hope based on my own health issues, but this donation combined with the success of the Unrest film has been such a boost in morale!

I'm so greatful to everyone who has helped in these efforts. I know most of you are worn out from being sick or being caregivers. The people who push through and do advocacy work despite that are my heroes. :)

9. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    Very great news

yeah but it raises as fast as it falls.
    Imho it would be the best if they would just wait 6 months before the cash out the bitcoins when one bitcoin will be worth arround 40k$.

PinkPanda likes this.
  10. *GG*

*GG* Moderator

Concord, NH
    Possible gains could be on the horizon as well though :) If it is in the form of Bitcoin, and not just 1 Million dollars!

GG

Sushi, debored13 and PinkPanda like this.
  11. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

Posted on Reddit thread by Pine in response to a question about his decision to choose OMF:

“I had known about ME/CFS for a while, and I know it is a serious condition without much in way of treatment or research. I've recently received letters of support from esteemed academics in the field strongly supporting OMF, and that helped me make the decision!”

Presume the referrals that swung the needle organized by the stellar fundraising team at OMF..

Never Give Up, Sushi, Mel9 and 18 others like this.
  12. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    bitcoin is volatile, but long term will probably go up. it's a tough call though as a million is already a lot and they wouldn't want to gamble with it

13. RuthT

RuthT

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Sushi and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  14. Cam Newton

Cam Newton

If it’s in Bitcoin there may be issues withdrawing from Coinbase. Coinbase typically has a max withdrawal of 10k per withdraw. This may impose some hurdles.

15. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    It won't be any problem. There are lots of other exchanges without such limits.
    The money is there without a doubt.

Sushi likes this.
  16. Cam Newton

Cam Newton

The vast majority of exchanges only deal in crypto, so you can’t exchange BTC to fiat.

17. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    so...?

They are still enough exchanges where you can trade btc into fiat. It won't be any problem for OMF to get their money.

dont want to drag this into a bitcoin thread. Just use google and you could have figured it out by yourself.

18. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

Absolutely wonderful!

See more popular forum discussions.