1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

“Dysregulated Relationship of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Major Depression”

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Although I don't necessarily like ME/CFS to be associated with Major Depression, I thought I'd highlight this as Twisk/Maes has highlighted some similar types of findings in Major Depression and ME/CFS before.

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph
    AFCFS and MishMash like this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    oxidative stress and inflammation is overlap with lots and lots of diseases, not just ME/CFS and MDD.

However, this can explain why there is some amount of symptom overlap and an MDD patient can fulfill Fukuda criteria if the MDD dx is missed.

Also like Twisk and Maes said, gives a physiological explanation for why people with chronic illness may be depressed.

Another paper like this is:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3487348/
    Grenon et al. Association Between Depression and Peripheral Artery Disease: Insights From the Heart and Soul Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2012 August; 1(4): e002667.
    A paper which discusses an overall model of inflammation and depression (in chronic illness and, iirc, primary depression) is:
    From inflammation to sickness and depression: when the immune system subjugates the brain
    Nat Rev Neurosci. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 August 10.
    Published in final edited form as:
    Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008 January; 9(1): 46–56.
    doi: 10.1038/nrn2297
    AFCFS, MishMash and Dolphin like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Oxidative stress occurs due to many issues. One of those is a failure of antioxidant mechanisms. Those failures involving methylation related pathways may lead to a decline in tetrahydrobiopterin, which in turn will induce a decline in neurotransmitter syntheses. It may turn out that 99% of mental disorders are basically non-mental biochemisty. Biopsychiatry might be heading in the right direction. There is increasing evidence that psychopsychiatry is headed in the wrong direction.
    jimells, AFCFS, WillowJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    alex3619
    Very astute observation. Psychiatric medicine is moving radically away from the serotonin principle to other explanations for mental illnesses (or conditions) such as major depression. And inflammation, or oxidative stress, I've heard is very high on the list of areas of current interest. Some doctors are successfully treating depression with Tramadol.

I have noticed that a considerable number of ME/CFS patients have parents or siblings with major depression, bipolar and so on. My father and sister both had serious depression. I think this tight relationship has lead rather obtuse doctors and researchers (ahem, Wessley) to think we are just depressed. Because we have a family connection. Might there be a genetic susceptibility that can be treated? I'm optimistic.
    alex3619 and AFCFS like this.
  5. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Have had depression throughout parts of my life. Pdoc was first to suggest CFS to me, but then still wanted to treat it with an SSRI.
  6. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    My father swears Prozac worked for him. I don't tell him any different. Don't quarrel with success.

Did it help you?
  7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I wish I could understand the abstract. Of the people who received treatment, did their MDD improve? What happened to the levels of cytokines and F2-IsoPs? Are they suggesting that the sertraline directly affected cytokines and/or F2-IsoPs, or that sertraline 'fixed' the MDD, and the improved brain function somehow changed the levels of cytokines and F2-IsoPs?

I suspect they simple assume that sertraline is effective, which is apparently a leap of faith.

Perhaps I could answer my questions by actually studying the detail, but I don't have the strength to do that today.
  8. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Yep, it worked pretty good for years (at least that I could tell, coming off of it always shows a bit of a contrast to not being on it that often allows a better take on how it was acting) - but the really only effective anti-depressant I had tried. In time had started to notice some cognitive clouding, memory issues, some restless leg syndrome, some anxiety, perhaps some other issues on it. Other SSRIs have not worked at all, and have had terrible side effects from the getco. One thing I liked about Prozac was that when stopping it, the half-life generally seemed sufficient to ween off of it. I understand some people have hellish experiences coming off SSRIs. If it works, it works.
    MishMash likes this.
  9. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    I've listened to psychiatric conferences on Doctor Radio, on Sirius XM, and very esteemed physicians do say a percentage of patients do have serotonin problems, and have positive results with Prozac. You were obviously one of them.
    AFCFS likes this.
  10. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Well, it is a bit ambiguous, especially form just having the abstract. But they are not making any direct claims that sertraline is effective for MDD, just that it may break the correlation between a marker of oxidative stress and inflammatory test results. That they then broaden there conclusion:
    seems a bit loose, as "antidepressant treatment" includes many meds and med types besides sertraline.
  11. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Also in line with the OP, is this:

Fluoxetine affords robust neuroprotection in the postischemic brain via its anti-inflammatory effect.
    On the other hand, there is also ample research and backlash against Prozac and SSRIs in general.

See more popular forum discussions.