Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

‘Matter over mind: The strange case of the ME study’ | WDDTY magazine | October 2016

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

sb4, Simon, Theodore and 6 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    lauluce, Snow Leopard, Jan and 14 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Reading it, I had assumed that they'd spoken to Tom.

Some off details in that too.

They needed you to put them straight Tom!

Jan, Jennifer J, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  4. Spoons

Spoons

This magazine is notorious for being full of scare-mongering & pseudoscience. It's terrible. If I knew nothing about me/PACE, and saw this published there, I'd assume the criticisms were unfounded. It's good the word is getting out there but it's a shame it's through this particular publication!

Jan, Glycon, Woolie and 2 others like this.
  5. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    The magazine's title is a dead giveaway, even if one is not acquainted with the contents.

worldbackwards likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    We can expect anti-doctor and anti-psychiatry groups to pick this up more and more, though its also the case that more moderate and careful media will also do so. On the specific publication (WTDDTY) I have nothing to say as I have not investigated myself. I will say that the public needs to be educated about the medical system, including its failings, as do doctors themselves. As long as the reporting is accurate I am not much worried about articles in more dubious media sources, and this looks like a good article. If it gets too hyped then I become worried, for just as we were against the PACE findings for rational reasons, so we should be against anti-PACE hype. The facts are enough.

Angel27, Jan, J.G and 9 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The biographical details looked like a paraphrasing of those in the David Tuller article, I'd guess they mainly copied that, changed it a bit, and threw in a couple of other things they found from other sources. Kind of on the level of a lazy student.

From David Tuller:

From WDDTY:

Looks like you've got a year older (43 to 44) and gone from "bulky" to "strapping", so good for you :).

Jan, Art Vandelay, JohnCB and 6 others like this.
  8. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    That, Sir, is an excellent post! :thumbsup:

Jan and alex3619 like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Somebody sent me this:
    I don't feel inclined to do it myself at the moment but somebody else could if they wanted.

Jan, TiredSam, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  10. Spoons

Spoons

Given that a comment above shows the article is basically plagiarised from David Tuller's one, a reckon he's not a good 'journalist' to target.

Out of interest, is Ben Goldacre & the All Trials campaign aware of the re-analysis? Given their aims are for all trials to be published & the data made available, a large-scale studying fighting not to release their data, then when that data is re-analysed it shows their conclusions were wrong, seems right up their street.

11. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Goldacre's chummy with Wessely, and completely refuses to engage regarding PACE.

Esther12, BurnA, Jan and 3 others like this.
  12. Spoons

Spoons

Urgh. That's disappointing. I respected Goldacre as a doctor campaigning for science before vested interests. I guess not.

13. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yeah, a lot of people feel the same way. The hashtag #AllTrialsButPACE was fairly popular among ME twitter users for a while :p

14. Tom Kindlon

Somebody has told me it has now appeared in the Polish edition of the magazine:
    http://oczymlekarze.pl/profilaktyka...-nad-umyslem-zawiklana-historia-badan-nad-cfs

Valentijn and Invisible Woman like this.

See more popular forum discussions.