• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

‘Information sabotage’ on Wikipedia - PLOS paper

jimells

...I thought that was a devout-Jewish-women thing and a Muslim-lady thing. I didn't know Christians even believed that women should wear their hair covered!

Until sometime in the 60s many Americans wore hats, both men and women. It was rude for men to go to church in less than a coat and tie, and suits in general were very common.

In fact, that awful high school had a dress code until the end of my freshman year. One day I forgot my tie and they told me I could sit in the chapel study hall all day and take a zero for the day in each class, or I could walk home and get a tie. What morons! The women were all required to wear dresses and skirts with a minimum length and all that garbage.

That all came to an end when the school refused to allow some seniors to take their final exams because their hair was too long. The result was a sit-in in the gymnasium (my very first political protest!), a lawsuit, and the end of the hated dress codes.

NilaJones

In 1980, I was shocked when we moved to a (small) city and kids were allowed to wear shorts to school. One kid did get told not to wear his 'Fuck art let's dance' tshirt.

JaimeS

Until sometime in the 60s many Americans wore hats, both men and women. It was rude for men to go to church in less than a coat and tie, and suits in general were very common.

True, but... you were supposed to take your hat OFF in church, at least in some denominations, and at school. I'm still not sure why a wig is less vain or more holy in some other way!

An Ultra orthodox Jewish woman is required to cut off her hair when she marries and from then on wear a wig.

This is based on a particular verse in the book of Numbers, a part of the Torah or Old Testament. The Wig must then be worn as a head covering for the rest of her life even if divorced or she becomes a widow. Not all Jewish women observe this custom, only the very very orthodox.

...still no word on Christians doing this, though.

-J