The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

£208,000 of taxpayers' money for a group incl. Peter White & Rona Moss-Morris to review MUS evidence

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

@Maxwhd highlighted this on Twitter. Then @dxrevisionwatch found some more info.

The NIHR along with the MRC are the two main ways UK taxpayers' money is spent on health and medical research

http://www.nets.nihr.ac.uk/projects/hta/142608

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42015025520

Woolie, Valentijn, Simon and 2 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

£208,000 of taxpayers' money for a group incl. Peter White & Rona Moss-Morris to review MUS evidence

Excuse me Dolphin, but I think you left out the punchline to that joke?

Roseblossom, justy, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Must be NIHR playing a joke alright. Will disappear tomorrow. September 7 is the new April 1.

Valentijn and Snowdrop like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

6. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Like, erm...

*racks brains*

TAKING AWAY YER BENEFITS?

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

You know your therapy is crap when patients will not touch it.

The "repeated health care seeking" should make it obvious that patients want effective biomedical treatment.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    SOC, justy, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    :bang-head:

SOC, justy, mango and 3 others like this.
  9. worldbackwards

Earth
    Is that one created especially for this forum?

justy, ukxmrv, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  10. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    would their qualitative data be the same data provided for the pace and get trials. or from the 209 papers that have s wessley's name on them. and why pay a bunch of dr's to do an auditors job. it smells bad.

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    They need independent reviewers, period. Otherwise its at extreme certainty risk of bias. I am too exhausted to read this right now, otherwise I might comment further.

Valentijn, Sean, alkt and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Or maybe, just maybe, because IT DOESN'T WORK?

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

SOC, ukxmrv, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  13. Wildcat

Wildcat

£208,000 ??

Peter White still raking in the research funds then. Patients have to crowdfund fund ME bioresearch, but the CBT/GET endorsers seem to have access to a bottomless pot of research fund gold.

Imagine if all the £££millions handed out to Peter White and others for 'cfs' psychosocial studies in the last 20 years had instead gone to ME bioresearch.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Chezboo, moosie, halcyon and 15 others like this.
  14. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    In a different world, adding these two points together might lead to the conclusion that what's needed is a focus on understanding properly the basis of these illnesses, and not an assumption that mediocre results from generic treatments mean that researchers are on the right path.

Roseblossom, Chezboo, moosie and 18 others like this.
  15. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

In a different world, they might also think about the scientific validity and medical ethicality of throwing together all the conditions that have medically unexplained symptoms as a singular entity that can be studied and treated in the same way. They might also think about the limits of current knowledge and the implications of those limits for the stability of a disease category grounded on "unexplained"

For me, this article by AnneMarie Jutel on medically unexplained symptoms as a disease label gave useful perspective on this topic
    http://www.palgrave-journals.com/sth/journal/v8/n3/full/sth200921a.html
    Medically unexplained symptoms are a source of frustration for clinician and patient alike. They simultaneously test the credibility of the doctor and the patient; the former, for his or her inability to label the patient's complaint, and the latter, for the ignominy of being perceived to have a factitious symptom. This review explores the discursive construction of such symptoms in the medical literature in order to appreciate the context in which medicine understands and manages non-diagnosed complaints. It uses medically unexplained symptoms as a heuristic for understanding the role of classification in constituting medicine as a social authority. In the absence of diagnostic category, medically unexplained symptoms are recast as a discrete category of their own. However, this category implies the infallibility of the physician and the relevance of the medical model in all circumstances. It transfers responsibility for the disorder to the patient in a way that may hinder resolution, and it ignores socio-historical practices that influence when and why patients consult a physician.​

Roseblossom, Chezboo, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  16. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Oh, good grief. MUS is showing signs of becoming the world's most dangerous abbreviation. This feels like an attempt to undo several hundred years of scientific inquiry into human pathology.

Yes, they may. They may also be termed "patients whose cases merit further medical investigation".

And "Cannot easily be explained ..." ??? Huh? I can't believe GPs would be thrilled at the idea that as soon as a difficult case presents itself they should hand it right on over to psychological services. Unless they're under so much time pressure that it comes as a relief, in which case ... boy, are we screwed.

The assumption inherent in statements like these — that anyone whose symptoms don't lead to an expedient diagnosis can be appropriately treated by psychological services — is jaw-dropping. One of the few things I do remember from high school science is my teachers drumming "assume nothing" into us. I think someone on this forum coined the phrase "anti-enlightenment" a while back. Precisely.

Roseblossom, Hutan, Woolie and 13 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    AKA circular reasoning...

I don't understand why so much money needs to be spent on such a review vs primary research!?!

medfeb, Roseblossom, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

These guys still think it is all about the sales pitch, not the product itself.

Hutan, Roy S, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  19. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I think there may be some progress in terms of social and self awareness on the part of some researchers. I used to see this "syndrome" referred to as MUPS. Presumably any connection between the researchers and Muppets was entirely coincidental.

Woolie, alkt, sarah darwins and 5 others like this.
  20. worldbackwards

Earth
    [​IMG]
    Which one's White then?

Woolie, alkt, mango and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.