• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Nancy Blake

Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd

See elsewhere my comments on the work of Dr (PhD in biology, a research hemorheologisr) Les Simpson. One of his recommendations to improve blood flow is injections of B12 as hydrocobalamin. Glad to here it works for you. If Les' work were more widely recognised it may not have taken so long...
  2. Nancy Blake

Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd

Since blood flow problems are an important factor, and we see references again and again to lack of oxygen and build-up of lactate, isn't it time to re-evaluate the contribution do hemorheology and Les Simpson's considerable body of researn into the role of shape changes in the erythrocyte...
  3. Nancy Blake

Dr. Enlander tackles a poor paper "Fear of movement and avoidance behaviour..."

Hi, Bob, thanks for the reference to this thread. If we are discussing nonsense, then the article that Dr. Enlander criticised is a perfect example. Having stated clearly that exercise does 'exacerbate symptoms' - instead of drawing the obvious conclusion that patients should therefore avoid...
  4. Nancy Blake

Dr. Enlander tackles a poor paper "Fear of movement and avoidance behaviour..."

Does anyone know whether there was any report of the Invest in ME conference in the general media e.t. BBC, Times, Independent, i, Guardian, anywhere? If so, I'd appreciate the reference. Hoping to do a Ph.D. project on the ways in which the psychiatric view of ME comes to predominate in...
  5. Nancy Blake

'Recovery' from chronic fatigue syndrome after treatments given in the PACE trial

And just to add to Dolphin's list of interesting sites, there is the King's College CFS information for patients and practitioners. (The one for practitioners urges people performing CBT to try to look beyond their protocols and at the patient's actual situation, or 'what some analysts refer to...
  6. Nancy Blake

'Recovery' from chronic fatigue syndrome after treatments given in the PACE trial

' Objective measures of physical activity have been found previously to correlate poorly with self-reported outcomes (Wiborg et al. 2010),' Hmmm - because self-reported outcomes were found to exaggerate increased activity as against objective measures (actometer) So the obvious thing was...
  7. Nancy Blake

UK: House of Lords to debate PACE study, Weds 6 Feb 2013

The article about recovery can be found at http://journals.cambridge.org/psm/White and it would be great if someone good at statistics could take it apart in words of one syllable for us! My latest shock is reading the King's College Information for CFS patients, the section on 'The physiology...
  8. Nancy Blake

New study hints at biological roots of mental and physical problems in ME/CFS

I want to comment on the article: Les Simpson ('Blood Viscosity Factors - the Missing Dimension In Modern Medicine', 'Ramsay's Disease - ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and the Unfortunate Creation of CFS', and contribution to 'A Beginner's Guide to ME/CFS' has done years of research on the way...