• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. R

Sign the White House Petition to end Mandatory Flour Fortification with Folic Acid

Actually no, Hip. I'm sorry but that's not my responsibility. I was just a messenger. Each person is their own individual and each person can decide if they want to support it or not. Some people just don't like supplements being shoved down their throats, even if they are "good for you." It...
  2. R

Sign the White House Petition to end Mandatory Flour Fortification with Folic Acid

Some mechanisms are explored in this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21135116 And again, it seems you've forgotten but the evidence and hypotheses suggest a dual role for folic acid in cancer. Yet another study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17063929
  3. R

I should also point out that I learned about the petition from a blog comment, but the petition does not become visible to the general public until it reaches a threshold of 150 people. So, it will need 150 people to back it for it to become noticed nationally. C'mon people...
  4. R

Well, one theory the excess folic acid floating around the body blooms candida—candida can metabolize folic acid, and candida has been linked to cancer (i.e. most cancer patients have rampant candida). Since nobody can easily explain how candida causes cancer, you'll just call that...
  5. R

I'm chiding you for taking up the relevancy of an entire PR sub-forum, based on an extremely broad health issue ('Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation), within the context of this thread. You are literally high-jacking this thread. Absolutely. Why don't you start a new thread about it.
  6. R

I'm afraid you're asking the wrong person (I don't have ME/CFS). I simply posted this in the "'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation" forum because it is relevant to that topic, period. Oy vey. This is the "'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation" forum. If you feel the...
  7. R

Excellent. Then perhaps you can make sense of this (Free Download): British Journal of Nutrition: Folic Acid under scrutiny (2007) Note the obvious fact that "folic acid" would not be "under scrutiny" if it was identical to naturally occurring folates.
  8. R

I see. Well, you would have to ask @Fredd and others for more details. I'm afraid I would butcher their research. You may want to start a new thread, since your question is really about questioning the role of the entire methylation cycle in ME/CFS, but I suppose talking about it here is fine if...
  9. R

You are deliberately confusing the issue (much like the FDA does). Read this explanation: While you are technically correct that folic acid is a kind of folate, the author of the petition is obviously referring to natural folates. Even the Wikipedia article on the subject highlights this...
  10. R

Ah.. I see. So, because you haven't figured it out, the theory must be dismissed or not talked about. That makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind that this thread was literally posted in the, "'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation" forum. Like it or not, the discussion is relevant to...
  11. R

Well, I honestly don't know how you can be a member of the PR forum and not know how methylation is relevant to ME/CFS. Just look around!: Google Search: site: phoenixrising.me "folic acid" And I think @Fredd would be disappointed to hear you say that! :) The relationship with ME/CS...
  12. R

This is patently false and an overgeneralization. Folate is often used interchangeably with folic acid (and in fact the FDA is intentionally confusing this issue), but folic acid is not a natural form of folate and is difficult for many people to reduce into the active form of folate...
  13. R

For what it's worth, here's what I found with a little Googling on the subject. The references below are mainly copied from two articles [1][2]: Folic acid refers to the oxidized synthetic compound used in dietary supplements and food fortification, whereas folate refers to the various...
  14. R

Just got wind of this, and it seems important. Sign the White House Petition to End Mandatory Fortification with Folic Acid >>>> http://1.usa.gov/1wlovWv <<<< Please help spread the word. Tweet it. Share it on Facebook! Folic acid fortification is intended to prevent rare NTD birth defects...
  15. R

Folates from vegetables

A home pressure cooker should not have the ability to turn folate into glutamate. In the US, a home pressure cooker is only rated to a maximum 15 psi relative to your current barometric pressure. So, at sea level, we are talking about an absolute pressure of 29 psi inside the pressure cooker...
  16. R

Folic acid in bread 'could be a health timebomb'

That's really great info @Asklipia, but I believe this only applies to industrial canned food, and not home pressure cookers. A home pressure cooker in the US is only rated to a maximum 15 psi relative to your current barometric pressure. So, at sea level, we are talking about an absolute...
  17. R

Candida & Biofilms - Theory & Protocol

More interesting aspects of candida (hat tip to @Gemma). So, it is benign when it has just the right amount of glucose available, and pH and body temperature are normal. It becomes pathogenic when it becomes glucose starved — being able to change the pH of its immediate environment (by...
  18. R

Pure "resistant" starch does not count towards carb calories. It's a food for your gut bugs, not for you. It's a little confusing because a bag of potato starch claims to contain glycemic carbs since they are expecting you to cook the starch. So, the calories are for cooked starch. I can't speak...
  19. R

Here's a great explanation, by @Gestalt of the problems with VLC when combating candida: http://www.gestaltreality.com/2013/09/16/how-to-eliminate-candida-biofilms/ So, nutrient starvation is not an ideal approach to killing candida. I suspect candida and yeasts need to abide by these...
  20. R

I think so. If you can tolerate those supplements, you're already doing pretty well. Good luck!
  21. R

So, in Paul's diet, (and assuming you have a somewhat decent microbiome) you can inactivate and kill/crowd out candida by simply improving your SCFA production and maintaining a healthy gut barrier. If the right gut bugs are in place, you can literally turn them into candida killing/inactivating...
  22. R

Unless you lack sufficient stomach acid, which tends to happen as people age, I probably wouldn't focus too much on the minutia of which acids/bases you digest. What most people should be interested in here is generating acids in the large intestine, from SCFA fermentation. That's the most...
  23. R

I think people fall into a trap thinking that candida or yeasts will always behave the same way. There is still so much to be known about environments, commensals, metabolites, etc. Some eukaryotes (perhaps shortsightedly we all tend to just call it all "candida" as if there was only one...
  24. R

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Other than generic yams, I didn't see Dioscorea opposita specifically mentioned — it's one of the world's richest natural sources of RS2 — also known as Nagaimo, Japanese Mountain yam, Chinese yam, and Korean yam. It is often used in the Japanese noodle dish tororo udon/soba and as a binding...
  25. R

Pasteurized milk has some sugar (lactose) in it. I suppose that's what people are worried about. While everyone is different, some people (including myself) have found that complex carbs or "safe starches" that quickly break down into glucose (potatoes, yams, rice) are readily absorbed by the...
  26. R

It's not. Please see this thread for more up-to-date research-based dietary recommendations on candida.
  27. R

I don't know what was in the offending yogurts/kefirs and kombucha, as each of them I obtained at a farmer's market. But here are the ingredients in Primal Defense Ultra: Interestingly, Garden of Life's standard/non-ultra version of Primal Defense appears to be the same thing without the...
  28. R

Lactic Acid-producing Bacteria Ok... @Vegas, @Gestalt and others. Mystery time. So, I had Candida/Yeast issues in the past and feel like I'm 98% recovered from it. But, if I eat homemade yogurt or kefir (from the farmer's market) or if I take Primal Defense Ultra (full of LABs), I get a pretty...
  29. R

Most people think of the sap when they talk about the gum of the Acacia tree, but I believe Dr. Grace told me Acacia, Glucomannan and Psyllium are all gums. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gum They all become viscous after some time in water, and I think that's the gumminess we're...
  30. R

I don't have ME/CFS, so what I do probably doesn't apply to you. I mainly just use Prescript Assist right now and the occasional AOR Probiotic 3 and L. Plantarum. And I try to eat a few mouthfuls of probiotic foods, like raw sauerkraut.