• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

For those on Freddd's protocol: how do you time your vitamin C intake?

Rich Van Konynenburg advised against taking Vit C supplements until methylation was functioning correctly. I can't remember why exactly...
  2. S

Cellular Energy Metabolism: Simplified chart and B vitamins

What are you getting at exactly? It would be interesting to hear your expanded views. Also, are you saying that B Vitamins actually cause damage in sicker individuals?
  3. S

K, Mg and Ca all dramatically increase appetite???

Any food really, my appetite rockets, but yeah cakes and sweets inbetween meals...
  4. S

Methylation Journal-Misfit Toy

Magnesium helps a lot and getting the right potassium/magnesium balance. One thing's for sure, MB12 or hydroxy definitely causes heart 'bother' for me. As do a lot of supplements to be fair, CoQ10 and numerous other things...
  5. S

Going slow on Molybdenum-Did You?

Does that mean their methylation cycle is working perfectly, or that we're just sensitive to supplements?
  6. S

Methylation, all those Bs and Potassium Redux

I was feeling more or less identical prior to taking the B Complex. Why do you assume that dividing a powder into two halves, when that powder contains several different vitamins, will result in two capsules with equal contents? I'm not saying that necessarily won't be the case, just that in my...
  7. S

Potassium and magnesium have zero effect on my appetite, but B12 makes it rocket...
  8. S

Potassium and magnesium have zero effect on my appetite, but B12 makes it rocket...
  9. S

You think each grain of powder contains all the B Vits? They aren't designed to be split so I see no reason why the contents would be perfectly distributed. When I used to split my Thorne Basic B capsules into two halves, I noticed that sometimes a half capsule would whack me out but the...
  10. S

I'm pretty sure when we take half of a B Complex that we aren't just taking 50% of the ingredients, they won't be mixed like that. All of the B12 and B1 could be in one end of the capsule, all of the folate and B3 in the other end, and the rest in the middle (for example).
  11. S

I'm salicylate-intolerant also, which is a real shame because it means that I have to avoid lots of excellent supplements such as coconut oil etc. As for potassium capsules, I'm amazed that you find 99mg too much as it's only 3% of the RDA. There is far more potassium in one small banana. If...
  12. S

I'm sensitive to *everything* and get awful palpitations from glycinates. I do fine with TwinLabs Potassium Citrate caps.
  13. S

Strange reaction to methylfolate

I concur. Imagine being stuck with these circulation issues :-/
  14. S

Yes I'll agree that but having searched for hours & hours, it isn't a recognised symptom and only Fredd really mentions it because he suffered from edema in his legs. It is a less well known feature of low potassium and I'm loading up on that. I *think* it helps matters but haven't been able to...
  15. S

No it isn't! I hoped it would all be out of my system in a few days but I suspect that my methylation cycle which has lain poorly functioning for decades is now 'haywire' and it will take some time to simmer down again. It would be interesting to know how long this might take if anyone knows. I...
  16. S

I'm getting blood pooling or edema in my lower legs and the tingling sensations in my feet/fingers. Really worried about it as I had nothing wrong in this regard a few months ago. I was only taking a coenzyme B Complex and later added in sublingual MB12 (a small dose) and methylfolate (a very...
  17. S

Methylation protocol issues, only three months in

Thanks guys, I'll have a look into all of that. I am aware that the multivit has folic acid but I've been taking it for years and this lower leg swelling has only started in the last 4-6 weeks since taking the methyl B's. I didn't think that small RDA levels of folic acid and cyanocobalomin...
  18. S

Thanks for your reply Fredd. I've never had edema before though, or certainly not so that I would notice. It seems to get a little better if I take a lot of potassium but the effects are shortlived and not entirely satisfactory. I tried upping my methylfolate today and felt instantly shattered...
  19. S

After giving up on methylation for years, I'm trying again with some success. Help me keep moving!

AFAIK the only truly natural form of D3 (other than sunlight) is contained in cod liver oil. Cholcalciferol, obtained from lanolin, is the standard supplement form.
  20. S

Hi, I started Fredd's MP a couple of years ago and had to abort around the three month mark....and it's happening again, although for different reasons, at pretty much the same three month point :-( I purposefully took it easy this time with a view to building up, and this was my daily regime...
  21. S

Methylation protocol swollen ankles/lower legs

Sorry, just checked again and I appear to have selected the wrong product last night somehow. The two you suggested (and indeed the label I uploaded) *do* contain methylfolate. I know to avoid folic acid and must have downloaded the correct label but actually read the 'Brain Complex' ingredients...
  22. S

That's a different label to to the one I attached? The folate on the label I attached is listed as folic acid. That was from the company's website regarding the Emerald, so if you have some with a different formula then I wasn't referring to those. As for whether they're synthetic or not...
  23. S

I looked at the ingredients online (*see attached file).:nerd: The other product by Answers From Nature is again a synthetic B Complex with large doses, plus folic acid which I need to avoid. I have to take methylfolate. The Thorne one I use(d) is the best I could find, but it's still synthetic...
  24. S

Just checked it out and it appears to be a standard coenzyme B formula with added veggie powder. Still synthetic.
  25. S

I was already splitting the capsules into halves and had bought some empty veggie caps to use. What worries me is that the halves won't contain the same contents will they? Won't folate and B2 for instance be at one end, with B12 and B6 at the other? I will check out the Emerald.:thumbsup:
  26. S

Hi again, sorry for the delay in replying. I've not been feeling so good and your post required a fairly lengthy response which I didn't feel up to yesterday. Oh yes, the first day on Co-Q10 is rather nice for the approx 30 mins after taking it :-) It looks like vascular edema to me? The two...
  27. S

Yes, I did ask if it was heart-related but because my legs weren't swollen at all I can understand why he wasn't too concerned. They get worse mid-evening as I tended to take my B Complex late afternoon. Even then they aren't horrifically swollen, just noticeably so and the sores are in the...
  28. S

I saw the doc but it was late morning and my legs weren't unduly swollen at that time. He knew nothing about methylation and just told me to stop taking the tablets if I was fine before I started. That was that!
  29. S

Hi, I'm looking for some advice please. A couple of months ago I started taking a co-enzyme B Complex containing methylfolate and MB12 and now I have problems with swollen/bruised lower legs just above my ankles and also a very bloated stomach. I'm worried that these could be heart-related...
  30. S

Hack my reaction? Please help.

I've been fighting ME for over 20 years but when the supposed cure gives you angina and makes you suicidally depressed, it's kinda hard not to throw in the towel. Palpitations, die off and increased fatigue I can handle but severe heart probs and feeling like I want to die? Not so much.... I...