• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

Anyone want to go on the Wahls Protocol with me?

Hi hopeful2 and TigerLilea, Thanks for letting me know that someone out there has summarized the levels Hopeful2. It's not really kosher in terms of copyright, but at least people can search it to get the basic info before they get the book (and I won't need to summarize it ;-) Yes, I have...
  2. A

I got the Kindle version and I REALLY regret it. I will probably buy the non-Kindle version soon. I would say for this type of book, definitely get the regular print edition.
  3. A

Hi Daffodil. Yes, getting the veggies in is definitely the focus of this diet! Her recommendation is 9 cups of veg and fruit: 3 cups of dark leafy greens tightly packed, 3 cups of sulfur-rich and 3 cups of deeply coloured. I am thinking I will try to get the 3 cups of sulfur-rich at breakfast...
  4. A

Hi again, I've realized that I don't feel comfortable summarizing the three levels and posting it here (or elsewhere, if we end up taking our little group elsewhere) without permission from Dr. Wahls' team. I submitted a request for permission through her website, along with a request about...
  5. A

Hi Dreambirdie, I can so relate to being burnt out on reading health books, especially given that the different authors often make conflicting claims. I made an exception for the Wahls book because she really seems for real to me, and also it's not about weight loss. Sure I could stand to lose...
  6. A

Hi everyone! @Dreambirdie thanks for letting me know about the other thread. Now that someone has inserted a link here to that we can go back and see what worked/didn't work before. @madietodd, you know I wasn't even aware she had another book. I've watched her mitochondria lecture on Youtube...
  7. A

Hi Ambrosia_angel, So glad to hear that someone else is interested in trying this! The book she wrote "the Wahl's Protocol" is really interesting in the sense that she talks a lot about how many of our chronic diseases are really the same fundamental biochemical issues gone awry in different...
  8. A

Hello, I have been diagnosed with CFS and have also had many MS-like symptoms. One of my worst CFS symptoms (in addition to fatigue) at this point is lack of ability to focus. A few years ago I was actually diagnosed with adult ADHD, but I really think it's part of the whole CFS thing. I would...
  9. A

narcissistic parent

Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that I sympathize with your situation. You mentioned you would like to go back to New Zealand. Is it possible to go back there, get on disability and get yourself a little place? That way you could focus on getting better without the stress of living with...
  10. A

Specific questions re heart rate monitoring

Thanks so much for this information. I had asked the testing place about the VO2max because I thought it would be useful and it's only a bit more in terms of cost, but if it means I will have to exercise to max I definitely don't want to do it!
  11. A

I had a look at the link--very interesting. Unfortunately I can't travel there to take the test. Based on the checking around I did, the only testing I have access to here within my budget is the sports-oriented testing (just one session). The test I am thinking of doing ($200) will give me by...
  12. A

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this question. I recently bought a heart rate monitor to help with pacing, and I have a couple of specific questions. My heart rate lying in bed after I wake up (resting heart rate) seems to be right around 70, but sometimes during the day I...
  13. A

Fast heart rate while sleeping, wakes me up

Hi all, I'm so happy to have found this thread. Last night I woke up again with what I call my "weird heart feeling", so I came on here thinking I would post a question. Turns out there is already a thread about this! This started for me about a year ago during a major crash period (from...
  14. A

Treatment, recovery, where to start?!!!...

Does "anhedonia" basically mean almost no drive to do anything that you don't absolutely have to do? I have been struggling with that a lot. Of course it's partly the exhaustion, but I don't know if that's the whole story. I recently spent an entire week just basically lying in bed for the...
  15. A

I agree totally when you say that doing more (in terms of exercise) is not the way to heal. It's so frustrating that other people seem to get more energy from exercising. I definitely don't get an energy boost from it--I have to rest a lot in the afternoons.
  16. A

Hi Keela Too and Beyond, RE exercise, I too have had lots and lots of problems. In the past I have done weight lifting along with some aerobics and crashed big time. Then I started doing Iyengar yoga in a Level II class (which includes strenuous standing poses) and I was totally exhausted...
  17. A

Hi all. I looked at this thread because I have had the same issue as Angel (too overwhelmed, where to start?), but honestly, reading this thread is even more overwhelming for someone in that situation! There is just so much out there (methylation, adrenal, virus, gut issues, this that and the...
  18. A

New here, not sure where to post

Thanks so much for this great link. I will read this carefully and make a copy for my doctor!
  19. A

New here, not sure where to post

Hello everyone, I've been suffering from various symptoms off and on for about 7 years. About a month ago I had another episode of whatever it is, and I have been quite sick since then. I was so frustrated with my doctor because she was telling me it was chronic fatigue syndrome, but I...