• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. K

Low Calcium Similar Symptoms to Low Potassium/Folate

Hi Critterina, I know that I have Scottish ancestry on my mother's side. Interesting. I'd have to locate a source of fresh dairy. I assume that for you, cultured, fermented and aged means no cheese or source cream? thanks.
  2. K

Low Calcium Similar Symptoms to Low Potassium/Folate

In an effort to control chronic inflammation, I recently switched to an AutoImmune Paleo elimination diet. On AIP Paleo, dairy is initially eliminated as it may be a cause of inflammation. So, I've been dairy free for a couple weeks now. In the last week, I began developing symptoms that were...
  3. K

Recapturing Accidental Perfect Energy/Clear Thinking

Wow, I've learned alot this week. 1. Gotta get my inflammation under control. I have symptoms of folate deficiency that I wasn't even recognizing as folate deficiency so I'll be titrating the methylfolate which should help with the inflammation. I also do very well with curcumin, so I'll be...
  4. K

Anyone have hair regrowth and IBS changes after taking vitamins including B12?

When I was in my teens and early twenties my hair was quite thick (and really long). In fact, I used to have a private joke with my mother where I would "complain" about how thick my hair was ;) Karma, right? It had been thinning for many years, at least 10. I have been with the same hairsylist...
  5. K

Anyone have hair regrowth and IBS changes after taking vitamins including B12?

Yep. I am female. May hair was thinning out especially at the crown and that has filled back in since getting my B12 and cofactors inline. The hairs are also much stronger than they were before. Also, I have always had completely straight hair and am now getting some waves/curls in areas. That's...
  6. K

Thanks. I didn't get the connection between widespread inflammation and low L-methylfolate. I will continue the quartet titration. I'm on a basic zinc dose of 30mg per day, so I might up that some as well.
  7. K

I have continued to review my supplement records in detail just before my "perfect week" to find the key and think I know what cleared the brain fog and gave me my energy back! As I said above, I did start Iron, but that was just 10mg (ferrous sulfate) the night before. I don't think that would...
  8. K

Thanks for your input! I will try the carnitines individually to see if that makes a difference. I will start with GPLC first since that seemed to make the most difference for me, then try LCF and ALCAR if needed. In reviewing my supplements during that time, I also realized I was feeling...
  9. K

No protein with dinner, just squash, mushrooms, and butter. I feel fine after eating which is good. With the potential ammonia issues, I'm looking at going really strict and proceeding with a low folic acid and low sulfur diet so in addition to lots of fat, I'll have vegetables low in folic...
  10. K

Looking into ammonia and found this post from Fredd which describes persons with a low BH4 enzyme: That is me - exactly (well except not knowing for certain about the blood ammonia). So, the plan starting with my next meal is lots of fat, low folic acid vegetable and little or no high quality...
  11. K

Maybe more clues. I happened to have a large amount of protein at breakfast and felt a little worse. I was doing some additional reading this evening and came across the information on ammonia problems. One of the treatments is glutamine and citrulline. I remembered that I had a great effect...
  12. K

Hi, that's correct. Here is a good resource that explains the different types of Carnitine: http://www.n101.com/info/l-carnitine-guide-what-is-it-and-who-should-use-it/
  13. K

Two weeks ago, I made a change to my supplement routine and accidentally had the best energy and clearing of brain fog EVER. I got so much accomplished. It lasted one week and then vanished overnight. I know how good I CAN feel so I'm working on getting that back permanently. I have been on a...
  14. K

Choline and DMG + BHMT vs Methionine Synthase Pathway

I actually take many vitamins and minerals each after specific research and geared toward my specific health issues (mostly inflammation - I do not have diagnosed CFS). I take a very small amount of ALA with my carnitine (100 mg). I do not take more because of low thyroid (high dose ALA can...
  15. K

When I started using DMG, I got a nice energy boost - the most noticeable change I had so far. I could tell a major difference the first day that I took it. And it was sustained. When I started the Active B12 and MethylFolate, I had alot of energy the first day, but it gradually decreased even...
  16. K

Thanks Lotus97. I think I read every thread on the internet about DMG ;) Just an update with my solution. I dropped the Choline and Inositol and switched to high dose chromium polynicotinate to help with the appetite control/carb & sugar cravings (3 to 5 mcg per pound of body weight). It's...
  17. K

I understand from Yasko that choline and TMG promote the BHMT pathway and when your cellular levels of Folate, B12 and cofactors are sufficient that DMG slows the BHMT pathway and encourages the methionine synthase pathway which increases glutathione. My goal is to increase my glutathione...
  18. K

Which Supplement Dosages Determined By Body Weight

I'm starting to wonder if I need to adjust my basic and active b12 supplements based on my body weight. When I do a Google search, it appears from what I can find that at least some supplements such as Vitamin D and Vitamin C are dosed according to body weight. And given that I currently weigh...
  19. K

Active B12 Protocol Basics

This thread may be helpful for those just starting. It contains recent opinions on the best brand of Methyl B12. Since the main post in this thread has not yet been updated, and as mentioned above, there is some question among veteran B12 users about the effectiveness of Jarrow's Methyl B12...
  20. K

How/When To Increase Active B12 Protocol Supplements?

My husband and I started Fredd's Active B12 protocol a week ago. We have a base vitamin regimen that we've been on for 9 months (B, C, D, A, E, Omegas, etc.) So, I added one Jarrow Formulas 5mg Methyl B12, one Solgar Metafolin 800 mcg and one TMG 1000 mg. We do not have ME/CFS, but have a host...