• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. ballard

Down memory lane with ME cartoons

So many ME researchers have tried to access NIH money, and have been denied, that I have to wonder if the NIH doesn't have a closet full of feet somewhere. I hope ME researchers will find a more welcoming attitude at the NIH as the pandemic rages on. Personally, I want an apology, as well.
  2. ballard

Thank you for the work that you do. Brain fog makes it so hard for us to function. It feels good to have you help me out.
  3. ballard

Thank you for your kind words
  4. ballard

Oops. Gave the wrong website above. The correct site is here.
  5. ballard

I've had ME for 25 years. For the last 5 years, I've been drawing cartoons about the people, issues and events associated with ME. I just finished my 18th cartoon. If you would like to see all of the cartoons, they are collected together on my website beginning with a graphic about Whitney...
  6. ballard

ME Graphics and Advocacy Resources

Here's my salute to Francis Collins (NIH Director) who happily took credit for the research using the nanoneedle that found a blood marker for ME. According to Janet Dafoe (wife of Ron Davis at Stanford) "That NIH grant was TERMINATED about 2 years ago because NIH said they didn't want to fund...
  7. ballard

Former U. of Washington basketball star Donald Watts' life with CFS

https://tinyurl.com/ycy6989q Apparently if you have CFS and you give up gluten and sugar, you will be able to leap over chairs and shoot hoops. :bang-head:
  8. ballard

"Unrest" updates

Hi @Joh, Thank you so much for your kind words. The cartoons keep me going. If anyone could tell me how to get the cartoon to the "Unrest" team, maybe they'll post it on twitter.
  9. ballard

"Unrest" updates

So grateful to Jen and her team for their brilliant film.
  10. ballard

Here's a new cartoon about Jen Brea's brilliant film "Unrest."
  11. ballard

Here's a new cartoon which is freely available for any non-profit ME/CFS use. When I started cartooning a few years ago, it was my hope to be able to add something to advocacy efforts. Since then, I have heard from people saying that they have used the cartoons in various ways. :) I've sent...
  12. ballard

I remember how brave you were to stand alone in protest. Thank you for your many years of activism.
  13. ballard

Community Symposium on molecular basis of MECFS! DISCUSSION THREAD!

It was a big thrill to have a shout-out from Dr Naviaux at the Stanford University ME/CFS conference for my cartoon. I’m doing mental cartwheels! :) A huge thanks to everyone involved in the symposium. Godspeed to the researchers.
  14. ballard

JHP Editorial: Special Issue on the PACE Trial

Thank you so much. Glad you liked it!
  15. ballard

JHP Editorial: Special Issue on the PACE Trial

@TomKindlon Congratulations to all of the fine writers who have had their papers published in the Journal of Health Psychology. I'm so grateful for their hard work. I hope that the PACE trial researchers will soon be held accountable for the suffering they have caused.
  16. ballard

NIH is estimating LOWER funds for ME research - a WTF?!? moment

Why are we still at the bottom of the NIH's research funding? Why are we still in the company of hay fever ($7 million), gall bladder ($12 million), and peptic ulcer research dollars ($10 million?) It's way past time for the "big guy" at the NIH to allocate funds to give ME/CFS an appropriate...
  17. ballard

Hi @Kati, I'm really thrilled that you could use one of my graphics in your advocacy work. I love your idea of using this thread as a central place to display advocacy graphics. It would be great if there was one place for advocates to look for appropriate graphics to use in their efforts...
  18. ballard

David Tuller needs our help

Donation made! The PACE trial must be debunked and retracted. Thank you, David, for your brilliant work.
  19. ballard

Lipkin and Hornig ME/CFS Monster Study: Microbes, Immunity & Complex Data

Just donated. Please give what you can.
  20. ballard

Pre-order Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS book "Through the Shadowlands" to boost it up the charts

Thanks for the link. I've ordered a copy through Amazon Smile. PR will only get a few cents from this purchase, but I figure every little bit helps. :moneybag:
  21. ballard

epinephrine injections study??

After years of using a numbing medicine containing epinephrine, I suddenly reacted to the injection. I started shaking uncontrollably. Actually, I was flopping around in the dental chair. The doctor next door came running in and grabbed my feet and elevated them. Someone put an oxygen...
  22. ballard

epinephrine injections study??

The last time I had an epinephrine injection (dental mistake), the paramedics had to take me to the emergency room.
  23. ballard

Tribunal orders QMUL to release anonymised PACE data 16 Aug 2016

Congratulations to all involved. What a great day!
  24. ballard

Canadian advocacy (may be useful for other countries too) 1MP at a time

@Kati Thanks so much for your wonderful presentation and your advocacy. I am happy that you could use one of my cartoons to make a point. And yes, I plan to keep on drawing until there is a cure! There is a new cartoon on my website honoring @RivkaRivka (pioneering protester) and all of the...
  25. ballard

Pix/reports from the #Missing Millions protests today

On August 13 &14th, 2010, Rivka Solomon stood alone as a one woman protest in front of the Red Cross headquarters and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Washington D.C. At that time, she called for people to protest in small groups for improved government funding for ME/CFS...
  26. ballard

Prevalence of CFS in Canada.

I was diagnosed 25 years ago and had a similar experience. My internist knew, back then, exactly what I had and referred me to a CFS clinic. She was neither skeptical or dismissive. The clinic tried a few things, but of course nothing helped. I definitely think we have gone backward as far as...
  27. ballard

US: Send a Forgotten Plague DVD to your Congressman/woman

Great idea. Can I designate the specific recipients?