• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. perchance dreamer

Brain functional connectivity in people with ME/CFS

At night I'll sometimes do EFT tapping in my imagination, and it often works very well. For example, I have arthritis on the top of one of my feet. It was aching the other night, so rather than get up and apply a topical pain reliever, I did EFT in my head, and the pain went away. If I wake...
  2. perchance dreamer

VAGUS NERVE STIMULATION

The Canadian company Vielight has a vagal nerve stimulation product: https://www.vielight.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Vielight-Vagus-Info-Sheet-Final-PBM-XD.pdf Box breathing or 4,7,8 breath work calms me really well, so I've never really looked at methods other than breath work to...
  3. perchance dreamer

Extremely chapped lips

While you are figuring out the cause of your chapped lips, do you have a good balm? The best I've ever found is Malin + Goetz, which I get on Amazon.
  4. perchance dreamer

Types of Magnesium

@jason30, I had never heard of nano magnesium. I'd be interested to hear your response if you try it. I understand the magnesium is in nano form, but I can't figure out what type of magnesium it is, for example, glycinate, oxide, citrate, chloride, or what? Isn't all magnesium some type or...
  5. perchance dreamer

How to deal with low folate?

I had given up on methylfolate supplements because they always gave me insomnia, even taken first thing in the morning. Then my P.A. suggested Doctor's Best Fully Active Folate, which contains the Quatrefolic form. It comes in 2 different strengths, 400 mcg and 800 mcg. Since I have such a...
  6. perchance dreamer

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)

I've found Ketotifen very helpful for my chronic allergies. I take it at night since it's calming.
  7. perchance dreamer

Dang those Vitamin D3 levels

Xymogen's D3 liquid has raised my levels to where my P.A. likes them. I really like this product because it is inexpensive and keep for months in the refrigerator. Each drop has 1000 IU.
  8. perchance dreamer

Anyone Else Find Meditation Greatly Helps Their Condition?

I don't meditate, but breathing exercises help calm me, which indirectly helps my pain. I think that's because pain increases sympathetic nervous activity, and slow, controlled breathing tamps that down and increases parasympathetic activity, which seems to lessen pain, in my case. The...
  9. perchance dreamer

Too much methylation. I'm dessesperate

I found SAM-E way too strong for my overly reactive system. It gave me energy, but robbed me of sleep.
  10. perchance dreamer

Comment by 'perchance dreamer' in 'Healing Gut: part 2 medicinal mushrooms'

What time of day do you take Lion's Mane, @sunshine44? Do you notice a calming effect or a stimulating one? I do well with Host Defense Cordyceps powder, but I can only take a tiny amount since I find it very energizing.
  11. perchance dreamer

Comment by 'perchance dreamer' in 'Healing Gut: part 2 medicinal mushrooms'

I'm really interested in medicinal mushrooms and have experimented with some, but have discovered that chaga has a bad effect on my sleep, even a little first thing in the morning. It's really overly stimulating for me.
  12. perchance dreamer

video: How PUFA-rich plant oils promise health and kill years later with cancer

I really like Primal Kitchen avocado mayonnaise. It doesn't have sugar, and the oil is from avocados. Mayonnaise frequently has unhealthy ingredients such as seed oils like canola or cottonseed oil. In the U.S., we were told for years that canola oil is very healthy, but that was bogus.
  13. perchance dreamer

Lactobacillus and Mental Health

I haven't tried these products, but Garden of Life has 2 probiotics for mood, developed by the neurologist David Perlmutter: Mood Daily Care and Mood Plus. The 1st ten ingredients for each are different forms of lactobacillus. The fatty acid DHA , found in cold water fish, helps me with mood. I...
  14. perchance dreamer

"B" Vitamin Supplement Makes CFS/ME Symptoms Worse?

My experience with these 2 are similar, @Judee. TMG is very stimulating, and even a little bit in the morning gives me sleep problems. I do better with DMG, which does have a calming effect. I take it as a methyl donor. That said, some people take DMG for energy, and others do well with TMG.
  15. perchance dreamer

NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) dramatically improves my symptoms of thirst, dehydration and frequent urination

I wish I could take NAC since I have allergies, but it gives me really bad insomnia.
  16. perchance dreamer

Increase in artificial scents sensitivity - anyone else?

We really like our metal roof because it's required very little maintenance through the years, and we love the sound of rain on the roof.
  17. perchance dreamer

Success from Probiotics

My doctor recommended the Flora 3.
  18. perchance dreamer

And then there's the amorous skunk Pepe Le Pew, for those of us raised on Bugs Bunny. He was handsome, but not particularly well mannered.
  19. perchance dreamer

Two people I went to culinary school with also said they like the smell of skunk.
  20. perchance dreamer

Success from Probiotics

I had chronic diarrhea for about 2 1/2 years, and one of the things that helped resolve it is a probiotic from Lane Innovative Flora3. It contains saccharomyces boulardii. My digestive problem is over, but I continue to take a lower maintenance dose. https://www.laneinnovative.com/product/flora3-2/
  21. perchance dreamer

safe and sound protocol

I love my Alpha-Stim! It took me a lot of time and experimenting to figure out the best way for me to use it. I need to use it with my eyes closed and at the low intensity of 1 for twenty minutes. The time it's most effective for me to use is when I wake up during the night and can't get back...
  22. perchance dreamer

In my city, many building now have scented cleaning products that permeate the entire building so that even if an office is not using a scented candle or incense, there's still a smell. A common belief is that people with fragrance sensitivities can tolerate essential oils. Well, I can't. Any...
  23. perchance dreamer

BrainFogStorm

Having hiccups for weeks sounds awful. A home remedy that works for my occasional hiccups is swallowing around a teaspoon of sugar very quickly and avoiding water to chase it down. That little irritation caused by swallowing the granules quickly gets rid of mine.
  24. perchance dreamer

Carbon Monoxide toxicity can cause ME/CFS, according to Toxicologist Albert Donnay

Gas ovens and ranges can emit carbon monoxide as well as other harmful pollutants. According to this article, they leak methane even when they are not on. It's just in the past year that I've read of these harmful effects...
  25. perchance dreamer

Comment by 'perchance dreamer' in 'Tudca follow up'

You mentioned taurine. It gives me crazy anxiety and insomnia.
  26. perchance dreamer

CPAP/APAP machine helped any cfsers??

I think this does happen to a lot of people, unfortunately. Here's my experience with jaw advancement devices. For years I used a TAP (Thornton Adjustable Positioner), and it did create some tooth and jaw problems. Now I'm successfully using another brand of oral apnea device, ProSomnus EVO...
  27. perchance dreamer

Anyone on Progesterone?

I use a bioidentical sustained-release progesterone before bed. I find it very calming.
  28. perchance dreamer

Why you should double check your dietary intolerances.

I had a delayed reaction food intolerance test a long time ago, and 3 foods showed up in the severe category: peanuts, sage, and lobster, all of which are easily avoided. I don't eat those 3, but other than that, I don't have noticeable reactions to any specific food. Generally, though, if I...
  29. perchance dreamer

Peptides Poll

I am taking compounded prescriptions of 2 peptides, a CJC/Ipamorelin combination and Dihexa. The CJC/Ipamorelin helps with HGH secretion, and Dihexa helps repair broken synapses. My out-of-the-box doctor prescribed the CJC/Ipamorelin because I've had health problems for so long. She said that...
  30. perchance dreamer

CPAP/APAP machine helped any cfsers??

You can buy t-shirts designed to prevent back sleeping. They have a zippered pocket in the back for a tennis ball, in order to make back sleeping uncomfortable. My husband uses one, and it really helps keep him on his side while sleeping.