• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. A

CFS and Yellow fever vaccination....

Unless the country actually requires you to have this vaccination for entry (check their rules) I would not get this vaccine. I got significantly worse after taking it almost 2 years ago and only started recovering 4 months ago. Your chance of a serious downturn in health from this vaccine is...
  2. A

Article: Four Viruses! Alter Paper Confirms Retroviral Findings in CFS

I am glad to hear this. Thank-you for publishing that letter Sam Carter.
  3. A

Exactly. It is too early. That is why it is problematic to use the title that Cort chose to use, and it is valid for Funkster to point this out. I see no personal attack on Cort in what Funkster has said.
  4. A

Come in the UK's media,your time has come !

Me too Tania. The wars here are exhausting. This is a good idea Tania. We should probably clearly label stuff in ours that can be reused too.
  5. A

Hi Cort, I have noticed you have made several important improvements to this article and thank-you for that. I am still in agreement with others here, clearly that the title is misleading, but the rest is looking much better. regarding this bit: It has been pointed out to me by someone who...
  6. A

1. I am still waiting for a response from Cort. All of these other comments just add to the pile-on and serve no purpose because they clarify nothing. 2. I am still promoting an important advocacy project that I have noticed that none of you energetic, enthusiastic attackers have offered the...
  7. A

No, he said he disagreed with my points. He addressed them partially, and then I responded, again, quite politely. I still do not have a response directly from him after that. How about you try backing off and letting him answer? Tell me what was the least bit civil and considered about what...
  8. A

New, Improved Project ENOUGH!!! thread

UPDATE: Since the release of the Alter/Lo paper, clearly there is a LOT of interest now, internationally, in researching the HGRV connection to ME/CFS. However it does not take away completely the need for effective, comprehensive patient activisim. The idea of this project is to work together...
  9. A

Wayne, it is posts like this that create the clash. And false accusations about what people have said in trying to make their points. If all of you people who seem to want to do nothing except attack me for articulating some criticisms with Cort would just back off and let me discuss things in a...
  10. A

Dr. Alter in particular is playing the politics of the situation brilliantly. This is certainly a factor.
  11. A

seems to me, you are the one that just brought it up again, unnecessarily.
  12. A

It is not always possible to know all of the facts, but in science, whenever something is speculation or is not fully understood, this fact is clearly stated, so that noone mixes up the facts with the speculative bits.
  13. A

No, this is precisely the standard that good science requires. I think V99's suggestion of getting quotes directly from people who do understand is a good one.
  14. A

You seem to be forgetting Vernon's criticism here. If she is correct, then nothing will ever be found in those samples because of the way they were collected and stored. oups. You did say that. Never mind.
  15. A

Canada joins in XMRV ME/CFS research. Could we become a significant player?

shrewsbury, Where are you located? Do you know about the Calgary/Edmonton study that is recruiting?
  16. A

And glad the attack dogs are back! Oh how I missed thee. How about you guys just stay out of it since Cort and I are actually having a good, civil discussion here ok? You've done enough damage.
  17. A

thank-you Cort, enormously for both of these points. I think it will make a very big difference to some of us to hear you say these things so clearly. Would you be willing to write a careful article about what is and is not working in ME/CFS patient advocacy? I really do not think you...
  18. A

ok, well this is good to hear Cort. Still it would be nice to hear it directly from her or someone else involved with these papers at some point. The picture right now is ridiculously blurry!
  19. A

The evidence on both counts is all over this forum, and this thread. But if you cannot be bothered to prove your point, you cannot blame me for not wanting to spend hours digging up all of the proof for mine. I only take this argument as seriously as you do, which is to say, not very seriously...
  20. A

I would be glad to. However as I have been falsely accused of saying things I did not say in public, my refutation of these claims would serve no purpose in private.
  21. A

I believe you just called Weesely and White brilliant scientists! I would like to point out, yet again, for something like the 100th time, that I have not attacked Cort. I have attempted to explain why people are frustrated with him. Given the large number of people who have left this forum...
  22. A

The attacks in the article to which I refer are when he claimed that if the results conflict, the WPI must be wrong, the refusal to use Mikovits' own words as a credible source, etc. The title is simply a factual error. Alter also called Hep C and HIV "families of viruses". This does not change...
  23. A

I am fed up with the nonsense you keep writing about me. What I have said about Cort is a) perfectly polite and b) accurate. You are welcome to search through his records. Again you insinuate that I called Cort a sexist. I did not. I pointed out the similarity of a particular behaviour to a...
  24. A

Mark, since you have so blatantly misinterpreted what I said, who are you to say it is not a misrepresentation? Absolutely noone called Cort a sexist. I said that a particular behaviour pattern in a particular situation (attacking Mikovits PR skills and using this to undermine her brilliant...
  25. A

noone ever said there was sexism involved in calling them viruses. Once again, instead of being a good objective moderator, you gleefully participate in the manipulation of what people here have said. You would be far more credible if you were not so blatantly malicious Mark. Second while it...
  26. A

Given that the moderator had clearly said that this discussion was to stop, I am astounded to find this comment still here several hours later. Clearly it is only people who object to Cort's reporting methods and have tried to articulate why who are supposed to shut up. Everyone else can go on...
  27. A

What it is important to get out of all of this is that the paper brought into question the "xenotropic" component of the nomenclature. They are all MuLVs, and from what I understood, they are not even necessarily different strains - more research is needed there because they were only partially...