• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Can anyone imagine what would be happening right now if Annette Whittemore didn't hire and fund Judy Mikovits? I have asked a lot of people in DC if she is at the conference. Does anyone know?
  2. J

NIH/FDA XMRV Paper by Dr. Alter Out!

Where did you get the information on what "WPI was looking for"? The WPI has repeatedly said that they were not looking just for XMRV vp62. They were looking for anything that would help the patients, and had no preconceived notions. As a result of good science, they discovered XMRV as it...
  3. J

NIH/FDA XMRV Paper by Dr. Alter Out!

I am finished for awhile. The work of the WPI is confirmed (Alter said as much in the press conference) and the press doesn't or won't get it right. I am so disappointed.
  4. J

***VIP DX ANNOUNCEMENT*** Serology test is now available!!

I bet the delay on offering the serology test was related to the delay on the Alter paper. I bet they wanted to be really, really sure of themselves.
  5. J

News from WPI symposium: Name change to be proposed for XMRV

The zeroers were wrong even about XMRV vp62 because they were using the wrong primer sets.
  6. J

Mikovits interview states the FDA will confirm WPI findings in a Sept publication

I may have reported the info incorrectly. We will see very shortly, but I believe that Lo/Alter will focus on MLV's. XMRV is a human MLV-related virus, but clearly the WPI has been saying that it is highly likely that there are other MLV's, including polytropic MLV. I believe that is why they...
  7. J

Mikovits interview states the FDA will confirm WPI findings in a Sept publication

My friend reported that Alter/Lo found human MLV-related viruses, not "just XMRV vp62". That means that there has to be a potential for more than two different types of retroviruses. The most important point you make is that Switzer didn't find any human MLV-related viruses. Therefore, the...
  8. J

I don't think that the WPI is saying "XMRV variants" in the sense of variants of "XMRV vp62" (the Silverman/Abbott clone). I have asked directly a scientist I know who is working with Dr. Mikovits and she said that WPI's work covers all human gammaretroviruses including "XMRV and its variants"...
  9. J

Suspense. Any news on WHEN the NIH/FDA study might come out?

The patients were provided by MDs, therefore highly likely to be real CFS patients. I don't know who, but I would guess based on geography that it was Bell and/or Komaroff. If Komaroff (he is a real gentleman) was involved he probably wouldn't throw the CDC completely under the bus. "Good...
  10. J

I have been told that XMRV is a human MLV-related virus. The WPI has been reporting for some time the existence of significant variants. I read somewhere a link to their patent filing that talked about the discovery of multiple sequences different from Silverman/Abbott. I don't think it...
  11. J

According to my Washington contact, the Lo/Alter paper will be released tomorrow and published on Tuesday. The paper will confirm that XMRV and its variants (human MLV-related viruses) are associated with CFS and are also present in the blood of healthy controls. The WPI "will be completely"...
  12. J

How to watch the WPI tours online on Saturday Aug 21?

I heard that the opening had over 1000 people between ten and noon. Can we get anything official?
  13. J

WPI: Andrea & Annette's' powerful words

The WPI is lucky to have Annette Whittemore as the CEO. I wonder if she will report on her discussions with the NIH representative, Dr. Shurin.
  14. J

I know that "the reporter" was there according to the scientist. Many, many interviews.... including an author from the Lo/Alter paper.
  15. J

It was all day according to a scientist in attendance. Mikovits was the moderator; the Ruscettis, Bagni, Lombardi, Cheney, Bell all made presentations. Many more, but wouldn't say. There were representatives from commercial labs, pharma, blood banks, physicians, scientists. Frank Ruscetti...
  16. J

The Lo/Alter results have already been reported by Alter himself to confirm the WPI's finding that "XMRV and its variants" are in the blood of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and healthy blood donors. Lo refers to these as "MLV-related virus gene sequences" in the title of his talk at...
  17. J

Characterization of antibodies elicited by XMRV infection, development of immunoassay

I heard that VIPdx will announce that its serology tests will be available before next week. Their tests will be more specific than Abbott's because they look for more than just VP62; you get all the variants with the WPI licensed tests.
  18. J

WPI Vice Pres Interview on Radio KUNR

A friend in Washington has advised me that Senator Reid will be the keynote speaker during the dedication ceremony on August 16. Wow!!! In addition, Senator John Ensign, Congresswoman Shelly Berkely, and Congressman Dean Heller will be there as well. My friend has also advised me that there...
  19. J

You may wonder why the CAA treats XMRV the way they do... So:

What has the WPI done to deserve your snarl? If you are mad at someone else why bring in the WPI?
  20. J

Article: Where's the Beef? The WPI and the NIH

All of the big players (other than Abbott who is tied to the Cleveland Clinic's "XMRV prostate sequence") will have to negotiate a deal with WPI to play in the XMRV game. Biorad, Gen-Prob, Quest, LabCorp, and the private equity folks will be calling. With a fair licensing deal the WPI should...
  21. J

Article: Who's In? and Who International XMRV Workshop

By the time this Conference takes place, Annette Whittemore will have opened the Whittemore Peterson Institute; the WPI will have published more data supporting the Lombardi et al Science paper; Dr. Mikovits and Drs. Ruscetti will have explained to the CDC how to find XMRV and its variants; the...
  22. J

You may wonder why the CAA treats XMRV the way they do... So:

Dr. Vernon should be given an opportunity to explain why her statement was wrong in July 2009... she should also simply adopt a position in support of the possibility that XMRV is the retroviral cause of "ME/CFS". By the way, I do want to report to the blog community that the lawyers I have...
  23. J

That panel of positive control specimens

The CDC absolutely tested the 20 samples provided by the WPI and could not find XMRV in the positive samples. I have an e-mail to prove this statement. Ask the CDC to deny this and watch what happens. The reporters covering this story do not know that the CDC had the WPI samples and could not...
  24. J

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

The CDC lead author had XMRV positive samples for 9 months. The CDC tested the WPI positive samples and could not find XMRV. Rather than tell everyone that fact and then say: "We are going forward with a method that may or may not work, with patient samples that may or may not be as good as...
  25. J

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

I have evidence in the form of an e-mail that at least one member of the CDC team who published the negative study received 20 XMRV positive samples from the WPI in September 2009. This was before the Science paper was published. The CDC, therefore, had 9 months to develop a clinically...
  26. J

XMRV testing in Germany

You should not get tested anywhere unless it can promise that the test is clinically validated. Ask the WPI to send a set of samples to this lab and find out if they can locate the positives. If they can do this simple task, then they have test that works. This is just like Cooperative...
  27. J

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

Thanks for the info. These CDC guys must know that the WPI will not let them off the hook. They should both publish and see which study passes scientific muster.
  28. J

FDA/NIH XMRV paper ON HOLD

Is Switzer even a Ph.D or a trained retrovirologist?