• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Viking

Testing for Excitiotoxicity or Overmethylation?

I have been doing juicing for a while, its been a common theme during all of these reactions. Can you tell me more about juice and glutamate? I realize cabbage jucie would have a lot, would other green juices also? I do mixed greens, spinach, chard, lots of celery juice too. Any comment at...
  2. Viking

Severe Brain Fog after using Probiotics

Would testing be useful.. Stool testing to see whats really growing? Are there relevant tests for histamine, D lactate, glutamate etc?
  3. Viking

This was a mix of acidophilus, and bifidus species. First probiotic.... Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lacotbacillus plantarum, inulin, magnesium stearate, silica, Lactobacillus salivarius, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus...
  4. Viking

I used a combination of two multi strain probiotics., both are reputable brands. . I don't want to say anything negative about products that were each helpful when taken separately. Whatever happened might have been some sort of odd combination effect, but since ive heard a few reports now of...
  5. Viking

Two months ago I was using a combination of probiotics. I had used both before, but never together. I noticed after a few weeks I was becoming more and more foggy mentally. And would have slight headaches. I stopped taking the probiotics, but even after two months the effects have only...
  6. Viking

Does taking glutamine cause more glutamate?

Please proceed very carefully.. I had severe excitotoxicty issues after taking supplemental L Glutamine. Dr Martin Pall feels excess glutamate is a key part of CFS and chemical sensitivity.
  7. Viking

Thank you Mary, has anyone also tried Omega 3 as an anti - Excitotoxin?
  8. Viking

I have had excitotoxic issues several times from Glutamine, Cabbage juice, and once from Methyl B12. Even once from too many probiotics. Is there any way to test for this? Assess glutamate levels? Any other markers? For me these reactions take a very long time to clear, and it would be...
  9. Viking

Nontoxic kitchen trash bags?

My plastic trash bags smell like plastic and fragrance. What do you guys use that has no smell or offgassing issues ? Regards, Viking
  10. Viking

How to Best Tolerate Fish Oil

After further review... I get the sense that my tolerance of fish oils depended on two things. 1 Lipase ( presumably for better digestion of the fats ) and 2 Antioxidant status. The one time I tolerated the fish oil quite well, I was on both a good digestive enzyme, and on a fair amount of...
  11. Viking

Glutamate in food

I have had very severe reactions to even small amounts of dietary glutamate. ( intense brain fog, extremely overexcited , nervous). The worst was after taking a few doses of L Glutamine supplement, but I've also seen severe reactions from cabbage juice, and bone broth. I eat a lot of walnuts...
  12. Viking

Has anyone tried restore?

From my reading of the literature, it sounds like the product contains a large set of messaging chemicals that are normally produced by bacteria, rather than including the bacteria themselves. So its not a probiotic per se. Sorry I cant give more details, I'm trying to learn about it myself.
  13. Viking

My understanding is its not a probiotic. But a product of soil based microbes.
  14. Viking

A reset button would indeed be delightful. :) In this case though, these are redox signaling molecules, normally made by a healthy gut micro biome. Supposedly it seals tight junctions, and helps restore normal gut microbe diversity. From the literature it seems this is an additional avenue...
  15. Viking

Has anyone tried a product called restore, for sealing tight junctions? Supposedly it contains signaling molecules, normally produced by a healthy micro flora, and has a positive effect on tight junctions. Regards, Viking
  16. Viking

Sun sensitivity = SOD deficiency?

Might want to assess omega 3 status as well. Skin needs proper fats for normal tolerance to sunlight.
  17. Viking

Pregeneolone and DHEA.. helpful.. or just amplify chemical sensitivity?

I have used both Pregenolone and DHEA to support adrenal function. I began to become concerned when on two occasions it seemed like after starting them, my tolerance to many things seemed to worsen. Exposures to solvents, pesticides, even supplements, seemed more problematic. I have seen...
  18. Viking

Methylcobalamin and eye irritation

Interesting.. I did not experience this when i took Hydroxocobalamin a few years ago.
  19. Viking

Methylcobalamin and eye irritation

I have noticed my eyes seem quite sore and irritated after I use methylcobalamin. I have been using a sublingual tablet, 5000mcg. I have been splitting the sublingual tablets, as I slowly ramp up the dose. (On about an 1/6th tablet so far) Could the tablet dust be an irritant? ( cellulose...
  20. Viking

Surviving Christmas Decorations

Ahh the Holidays.. time for cheap plastic offgassing trees, and perfumed candles to be spread around the house. Much as I love the Christmas season, there must be a better way to enjoy it and not be poisoned if you are chemically sensitive. My thoughts... Decorate outside to your hearts...
  21. Viking

Mold Testing Options

I had an mold issue in the basement after water intrusion and high humidity levels. Initial remediation was done, but the basement is still prone to being very humid. I would like to do at least some basic testing to see where it stands.
  22. Viking

Mold Testing Options

What options are availble for testing mold levels in my house? I have had mold in my basement, and am not sure what amount, or kind, is still present.. or what amount got up into the main living areas. Methods? Costs? Accuracy? Regards, Viking
  23. Viking

Organic Cotton Bedding Reaction

I recently purchased some organic cotton sheets, which I seem to react to. I dont understand this, as I have had good success with other organic cotton items. Has anyone had a similar issue? I did try washing them in baking soda,, which i generally do with new fabric, but this did not seem...
  24. Viking

Fabrics and Fabric Additives - Which are Most Problematic?

I have had a number of reactions to various fabrics in new curtains, new bedding, and new clothing. Has anyone seen any trend in what type of fabric is most problematic ( polyester, cotton, other synthetics etc), and what type of dyes or fabric additive are most difficult to tolerate? By...
  25. Viking

Delayed Reaction To Probiotics

I experence a peak in symptoms following probiotic usage. While I typically have die off effects while taking them.. it peaks, rather severely, about 3 or 4 days after stopping them. Does anyone have any ideas why this would occur? Regards, Viking
  26. Viking

Sensitivity to supplements

Kitsune... I have also struggled with supplement sensitivity. My issues began with a severe yeast and parasite infection. Over time i realized that the sensitivities were not constant, but would get worse whenever i was on antibioitcs, and would tend to lessen when i was on a good brand of...
  27. Viking

Bee and Wasp Spray exposure... ideas for removal?

I had a lawn worker spray the side of my house and my bushes with a bee and wasp spray. The treated area is just outside my bedroom window. Does anyone know how to effectively remove / wash off such a spray? Or how long until is dissipates by rain / sunshine etc. I have had severe...
  28. Viking

Glutamine creating severe Brain fog

Hello all, I used Glutamine ( 2500mg twice a day) for about 8 days to help with bowel repair after a parasite infection, and developed severe brain fog. It has persisted for weeks even after discontinuing. I have a number of methylation snps that I suspect may be related, but am not sure...
  29. Viking

Starting herbal antibiotics for chlamydia pneumoniae

Hopefully they will not be as hard on the gut as the ones I was on years ago. Mine were mostly antiparasitic but had antibiotic effects as well. You can of course keep an eye out for any obvious signs of yeast overgrowth. ( coated tongue, athletes foot, toenail fungus, onset of food...
  30. Viking

Starting herbal antibiotics for chlamydia pneumoniae

Even hebal antibiotics can disrupt healthy intestinal bacteria. I dont have any direct familiaraity with the ones you are using, but i have seen it happen with other antimicrobial herbals. Please check to see if that is common with the ones you are using. Perhaps look into probitoics or...