• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. E

Get PACE removed from clinical guidelines – sign the petition!

Thanks @Sasha The "earlier record-breaking petition by #MEAction calling on the journals — including The Lancet — that published important PACE papers to retract misleading analyses" is actually still open. Every signature will help. For more information and to sign please go here...
  2. E

BCAAs making me SUPER sleepy: any advice? (Please!!)

Thanks heaps, @Gondwanaland . I can't tolerate any zinc at all (sends me to bed for at least 24 hrs), even transdermally or a tiny fraction of a tablet. I've tried tiny amounts of copper in the past -- I seem to handle a tiny bit before my body freaks out.
  3. E

Update: I think the problem was low cortisol, but my body seems to have gotten used to them overtime and now I couldn't live without them :)
  4. E

Bicarb reducing PEM but making me soo sleepy

Thanks guys. @Misfit Toy Bicarb's the only thing that's changed and I feel the sleepy/dizzy thing soon after taking it, even if I don't 'exercise'.. @jeff_w Hahah good point.. but I'm not sure. For me PEM is mostly pain, pain, pain, pain, plus fatigue, but this sleepy/dizzy thing feels...
  5. E

Bicarb reducing PEM but making me soo sleepy

A few weeks ago I started taking 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda before and after 'exercise' (along with the creatine, BCAAs & whey protein I was already taking), and it has worked amazingly at reducing PEM, especially lactic acid burn/pain. Yay. However, I've started feeling *really*...
  6. E

Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering

Thanks, Andrew! It's always good to hear about this part of someone's story - thank you. As a young person (24) living with ME for ten years now, I can definitely identify the sense of loss! I also found it really encouraging that you're hoping to go into biomedical research. Keep up the great work.
  7. E

Hi there, I've started taking BCAAs before, during and after 'exercise', but have found that they've made me super lethargic for up to three days afterwards. I'd love to keep taking them, as they've reduced post-exercise lactic acid/muscle pain considerably, but cannot cope with being this...
  8. E

Taking midodrine, feeling awful - what should I do?

Thanks guys. Excellent questions. It was prescribed because I have moderate to severe POTS. Pros: I can stand up for more than 15 mins, I can do more in my day in terms of standing up, walking around and it reduces post-exercise muscle pain massively. These are all really big pros which I am...
  9. E

Taking midodrine, feeling awful - what should I do?

I've been taking midodrine since late Jan (1, 2 or 3 5mg tablets per day), but am unsure whether to continue. It has made my hair go really thin, but even more significantly, I permanently feel super lethargic (in a way different to CFS-'normal'), particularly mentally really slow which means...
  10. E

Taking Alpha lipoic acid supplement & feel awful, what do I do?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Phoenix Rising and have been trying to read through the various forums on methylation to find a soln to my problem but I can't understand all of the info. I've been taking BioCeuticals 'Cardio Nutrients' for about 2 weeks now, 2 tabs a day, usually in the morning...