• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. L

Article: From the PCR Side: the Cooperative Diagnostics XMRV Interview with Dr. Brent Satterfield

Satterfield is considered an expert? Satterfield finished his dissertation in December 2007. I assume he finished his PhD in 2008, the same year he started Cooperative Diagnostics. However, he gave what looks to be a grad student seminar at Arizona State University in 2009 (...
  2. L

Article: From the PCR Side: the Cooperative Diagnostics XMRV Interview with Dr. Brent Satterfield

Culturing concentrates viral nucleic acid and is not used for PCR test Gerwyn did not claim that Lombardi et al cultured prior to PCR (so it makes sense that Racaniello said there's no culturing indicated in the Lombardi et al PCR test). Lombardi et al cultured PMBCs before they made any...
  3. L

Gerwyn helped me understand that there are at least two important ways that Satterfield et al. can be distinguished from Lombardi et al. First, the difference between PMBCs and plasma: Lombardi et al. (remember, this included three different labs- the WPI, the Cleveland Clinic and the National...
  4. L

Nature.com report that Alter paper reviewers want "additional studies"

Although you have repeated this several times, I can find no source at all for Alter's supposed "humiliation." Is this your own belief or do you have a source? You refer to Alter and his group as inept. The implication is that you believe the CDC scientists know what they are doing. Again, are...
  5. L

Anti-XMRV Blog -New post

There are four drugs that have been shown to inhibit XMRV: http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/7783CFCE-5022-40C8-AE08-0A99D440CAC2.asp V99 -you're asking good questions.:winking: And I love this image: "She's got a Mikovits bee in her bonnet, and wants to swat it." ERV running around hitting...
  6. L

XMRV Article in Chicago Tribune and other papers

Frickly, It's been picked up by a news service wire and different papers are picking it up and using the story to fill up space. Many are often picking it up because of its length (they have a hole and this story is the right size). The parts that have been "edited" out have probably not been...
  7. L

Borderline personality disorder - amygdala issues?

Bluebell, Thanks for raising this issue. I don't understand the amygdala issue yet so any illumnation there would be appreciated. However, my daughter, who has crimson crescents, has been diagnosed with both bipolar and borderline and both conditions are quite severe for her.:Retro frown: Lulu
  8. L

Martlet, I am sorry for your loss. Many, if not most of us, have a special stake in this. Some, like myself, have family members and close friends who have died of AIDS; some, like myself, have family members who have died or who are dying of cancer right now; and all of us are dealing with...
  9. L

Nope, I think reasonable and well-mannered is in the eye of the beholder.:winking:
  10. L

"Brain Fog"

Binky, Thanks for bringing up the topic. Last night I proposed watching half a dozen movies to my 10 year old, and he pointed out that we have watched all of them in the last few weeks. If I really focus on each movie and take some time, I totally remember seeing them. But my work-a-day brain...
  11. L

We do not know if what connection there is between ME/CFS and heart disease or cancer, the two leading causes of death. Many people with ME/CFS have heart conditions. There is a connection between XMRV and cancer. Someone who dies of AIDS actually dies of cancer, pneumonia, etc. We...
  12. L

Mold, Dr. Cheney and ME/CFS

Slayadragon, I have not read all of this but I have to say that 4. Humid Days really hit home. I have been trying to figure out why I feel so terrible on pre-storm and storm days and why, after a good rain, I often feel so much better. I have a lot of reading to do about mold - just wanted to...
  13. L

Right now, we have no idea what the death rate is from ME/CFS, nor do we know how many people have contracted it or are contracting it.
  14. L

VIP Dx MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT on Jun 1 !

777 xmrv specimens received out of how many total specimens I wonder?
  15. L

I just called them and Jessica, who answered the phone at VIP Dx, did not know when they would actually post the announcement - nor what the announcement was. :Retro confused: So much for the direct approach.:tongue:
  16. L

I'm ready to drive to Atlanta and knock on some darned doors! I can't handle this tension!:Sign eek:
  17. L

Inflammatory pain worsened by stress & fatigue - any ideas?

Hi Sasha, I get pain in my back - just exactly the way you describe it. I have had it for years and years. One thing that has helped me recently is a very simple yoga posture. I take a therapeutic yoga class and my teacher always has us start with 10-15 minutes like this to help drain the...
  18. L

Virology 101

That blog rocks! :victory: :Sign Thanks: Thank you, Thank you!
  19. L

Let the sleepless night begin!:sofa::Retro confused::cheeky grin::tear:
  20. L

Interstitial Cystitis?

I don't think this rules out IC. I don't have pain when I urinate but I know many folks who do. I have no pain or frequency when I don't have flares.
  21. L

Comprehensive list of XMRV researchers world-wide?

More from Emory To add to Petros: Ross J. Molinaro, PhD Clinical Chemistry Molecular Medicine http://pathology.emory.edu/AdminFacultyMember.cfm?Name_seq=1466 Hinh Ly, PhD Cancer Biology Microbial Pathogenesis - Possible roles of the novel retrovirus XMRV and host factor(s) in human...
  22. L

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

:cheeky grin: Huh? What? :tear: I think it's time for me to become a bag lady...pass it over! *pacing* (figuratively, of course!)
  23. L

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

I so relate Bob and Tina. This is getting worse and worse and worse for me by the day or minute - who knows? :Retro confused::Retro tongue: So it is nice when we can joke about it among those who understand.:cheeky grin:
  24. L

Niacin giving me old memories back

leaves, how much niacin are you taking? I would love to get any part of my brain back.
  25. L

5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010

Thank you Bob. I think I just need a continuous loop of reassurance right now!:Retro rolleyes::tear::tongue::Retro biggrin:
  26. L

Andrew Wakefield removed from Britain's medical register

Frickly, I'm with you! Mark, you put into very cogent words my sentiments exactly.
  27. L

TOXIC reaction to PVC shower curtain/ANYONE ELSE???

We don't have any shower curtains but I know the strong smell you are talking about and I avoid anything like that. They make a lot of swim toys and blow-up floatables out of that stuff and I cannot be around it. It gives me really terrible headaches. You seem to have a extremely sensitive...
  28. L

DysautonomiaXMRV, I have been developing an idea from various threads about the the situation in the UK but I thank you very, very much for giving me such a vivid and clear picture - though I am afraid it will give me nightmares.:Retro frown: :Retro eek: It puts many things I've read about here...
  29. L

If vaccines can lead to cfs, autism, and cancer because of xmrv, than vaccines will have cost millions of lives.
  30. L

WPI USA XMRV testing/study--IT HAS STARTED

:victory:Those pics are AWESOME! :victory: Yay for y'all!:cheeky grin: Just put a smile on my face, which was not easy to do as I have just been reading about the situation in the UK courtesy of DysautonomiaXMRV on the 5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010 thread. :Retro...